Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
billy1979
billy1979 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad2
Pdf to ePub text problem

I converted a pdf magazine to epud format using Calibre. the problem i'm having is when i zoom into the text it gets distorted and unreadable.

can any one help ? is there a setting on Calibre that would prevent this.

Thanks.
Moderator Notice
fixed title spelling

Last edited by theducks; 07-15-2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Epud->ePub
billy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That suggests the PDF file was really just scanned images so you are limited by the resolution of the scan. If it was a text PDF then zooming would leave the text sharply defined, and should also allow text re-flow between lines.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1979 View Post
I converted a pdf magazine to epud format using Calibre. the problem i'm having is when i zoom into the text it gets distorted and unreadable.

Thanks.
First, make sure you read this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118605

Next, it looks like you are converting images of text pages, not text, so you need maximum resolution to zoom in. Your specified device controls resolution (Calibre makes your images match your device screen size). You can try using a tablet device for better resolution, or better, just stick with the original PDF.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Perhaps you could OCR the pdf first.
Documents scanned to images are not very user friendly on a computer, much less an ebook reader. Lots of pdf magazines are like that.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1979 View Post

Thanks.
It is ePub, not epud.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
It is ePub, not epud.
Did you think the sometimes polite people didn't know?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Did you think the sometimes polite people didn't know?

Helen
It's not serious. I've gotten picked up before on errors I've made in a thread where the topic has to do with errors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote