Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 04:43 AM   #1
thirdofthree
thirdofthree has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: IREX DR800SG
Screen durability / fragility

Since I got my DR800SG back in April, I've tried to be extremely careful after reading some posts about the screen breaking easily. Despite my best efforts, my DR800SG has taken a couple spills from ~2-3', both with and without the stock padded case. To date, it's been just fine. Phew!

Only I really flubbed it last night. While reading in bed, I dropped the bare, uncovered DR800 as I dozed off. It tumbled to the floor next to my bed -- promptly waking me up -- about a 3' drop. Much to my now-wide-awake surprise, it landed on one of its ends and proceeded to bounce off the floor, thread its way through the spokes of the railing, sail through the air a good 9' down a flight of stairs before bouncing off one stair, descending the final 3' to the bottom of the staircase, and smacking into the hardwood floor as it clattered and skidded to a halt.

I thought for certain I was doomed and would have to find a new ereader, certain I would be disappointed since I don't know of another ereader that provides a similar footprint / screen size.

But lo and behold, the DR800SG is just fine! Works great, no damage at all of any kind. Maybe I got lucky. Maybe its more robust than I gave it credit for. Either way: woohoo! I may continue using my DR800.
thirdofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:24 AM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
My heart almost stopped when I read about your DR800 falling down the stairs. The same thing happened to my cell phone (a Nokia, they seem to be very robust in general), only it fell down two flights and was o.k. I am super paranoid about dropping my e-book reader, though, I've read too many stories about broken readers.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
That is a seriously scary incident for valuable gadgets. Good to hear your DR800 survived the impact! Thanks for sharing.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
The DR800 does seem to be a lot better than the iLiad, with regards to screen issues. However, I probably wouldn't plan on trying that again just to test it. I think you got really lucky.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote