Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #16
PERTU
PERTU began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
@Stinger: Thanks for the explanation. I hope Kobo will be able to fix this in a future version because it really is not ideal. As for the page number on the right hand side of the page, it's not over the text but really close. I guess I'm lucky.

Edit: I'm not lucky after all. What a bad feature this is

Last edited by PERTU; 05-28-2010 at 07:35 PM.
PERTU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #17
Puzzle
Puzzle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hi,
I have a Kobo and just finished reading The Girl Who Played with Fire. When I read it the pages were numbered x of 466- which suited me fine.Now my husband is reading it and the pages are numbered x of x in this chapter. I really don't care how many pages there are in the chapter, I want to know how far along I am in the entire book!
I see that other books I am reading now show pages in the chapter as well, wonder if I did something to change the settings. I've looked in the help manual and can find nothing...
I wonder if there's a way to contact them to ask?
Puzzle
Puzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #18
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Hi all,

All the pictures I've seen of Kobo (when reading a book) display page 'n of m' for the current chapter.

Does the total number of pages in a book also display somewhere?

Thanks.
The short answer is...sometimes. Depends on where you got the book. Some books display page numbers in chapter while others display whole books.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #19
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzle View Post
Hi,
When I read it the pages were numbered x of 466- which suited me fine.Now my husband is reading it and the pages are numbered x of x in this chapter. I really don't care how many pages there are in the chapter, I want to know how far along I am in the entire book!
I see that other books I am reading now show pages in the chapter as well, wonder if I did something to change the settings. I've looked in the help manual and can find nothing...
I explained the reason for this in my post earlier in this thread, although reading it over now myself, I really wasn't very clear.... so here goes:

Any books you load onto the Kobo through the desktop app will show you the pages per chapter (the undesirable behavior to you and most of us, like you already mentioned.)

Regular epub files loaded on the Kobo (NOT through the desktop app), will show you the page counts in regards to the entire book. I think this also applies to book loaded on through ADE, but my experience with ADE is limited so I could be wrong. If this is the case, you could fix your problem by using the 'Download ePub' link from the Kobo store website, and load the book onto the Kobo via ADE. Try it! and be sure to let us know please
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #20
MomMann
MomMann began at the beginning.

I purchased a book from Kobo just this weekend - did not use the desktop app but rather ADE to load and it is showing the total book page. I also loaded some epubs of my own just today and again, total book page count - not chapter. Silly question - do you think there is any chance the firmware updates are happening and we just aren't being formally told. I ask because Kobo support told me that firmware updates would just happen 'the next time you plug your device in' - so it would seem they could deliver it without your knowing. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed any changes to their Kobo in the last week or so.
MomMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #21
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMann View Post
do you think there is any chance the firmware updates are happening and we just aren't being formally told.
I'm like you, I never use the desktop software so I'm counting on the fact that someone else will let us know when the firmware lands

The last "official" statement I read from a Kobo rep said "late June".
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #22
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
I ask because Kobo support told me that firmware updates would just happen 'the next time you plug your device in' - so it would seem they could deliver it without your knowing.
I think they mean next time you plug in your Kobo, it would detect the firmware version it's running and check this against the 'Live' version and show you some update wizard or whatnot (like Calibre does). I sincerely hope they don't just push out the firmware update without any prompts like you mentioned. To me, that's akin to what Amazon did with their '1984' fiasco, I would have a conniption fit. What gives Kobo the right to reprogram MY device without even warning or asking me!??

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed any changes to their Kobo in the last week or so.
I don't think so. You can check your firmware version in the menu under settings. Currently on my Kobo it is version 1.0(March 29 2010) rev58, which is the same as on the day I purchased it.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #23
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
I think they mean next time you plug in your Kobo, it would detect the firmware version it's running and check this against the 'Live' version and show you some update wizard or whatnot (like Calibre does). I sincerely hope they don't just push out the firmware update without any prompts like you mentioned. To me, that's akin to what Amazon did with their '1984' fiasco, I would have a conniption fit.
I seriously hope they dont do it as a push down automatic thing like that because I would never know when the firmware is updated. I need the people of mobileread to inform me because I've given up on the Kobo software and its problems (add in Borders to that too), for the time being.

Then again I'm not expecting a firmware update anytime soon.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #24
Puzzle
Puzzle began at the beginning.

Red face Page counts- Thanks Stinger!

"Regular epub files loaded on the Kobo (NOT through the desktop app), will show you the page counts in regards to the entire book. I think this also applies to book loaded on through ADE, but my experience with ADE is limited so I could be wrong. If this is the case, you could fix your problem by using the 'Download ePub' link from the Kobo store website, and load the book onto the Kobo via ADE. Try it! and be sure to let us know please "

Stinger- You're a genius! Wish I had checked back to see your reply sooner.
Thanks so much!
Puzzle
Puzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:10 AM   #25
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I am reading "The Armageddon Factor: The Rise of Christian Nationalism in Canada" bought from the Kobo bookstore in ePub format, and loaded via ADE.

The page count at the bottom of the page is of the entire book; not at a chapter level.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote