Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
clovermax
clovermax began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 600
old ebookman doa - now what

I know I have been waiting for a while -ahem long while for ereaders to develop better formatting, size, consistancy. Considering I have had 4- ebookmans and the final one has died. I am an avid reader- can we say at least 1000 ebooks stored on flashdrives? My problem- I like supporting the small epublishers- I find they have new talent - I dont want to be wed to either Amazon's kindle store or b&n via the nook. I have most of the ebooks in mobi format- so the question what is the next best step- one I want to buy today- is there a converter to take the older mobi/prc files to epub? or any suggestions?
clovermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
welcome to MobileRead, clovermax. I'm sure you'll find answers here.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by clovermax View Post
I know I have been waiting for a while -ahem long while for ereaders to develop better formatting, size, consistancy. Considering I have had 4- ebookmans and the final one has died. I am an avid reader- can we say at least 1000 ebooks stored on flashdrives? My problem- I like supporting the small epublishers- I find they have new talent - I dont want to be wed to either Amazon's kindle store or b&n via the nook. I have most of the ebooks in mobi format- so the question what is the next best step- one I want to buy today- is there a converter to take the older mobi/prc files to epub? or any suggestions?
Yes, you can convert the files to Epub with calibre.

Rather than convert, I would recommend that you go back to your sources and try to find the same titles in another format. If you can find them in MSReader, the quality of the images and meta data will be much higher. Older versions of Mobipocket have small images and no author in the meta data.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
clovermax

thank you- on some of them I will just ask for differnet formats. but then there are a few that are from defunct publishers- so those I will have to convert. What I dont understand is why the manufacturers cant just have all the formats available. Too bad the ebookman died- but I really need to be able to read on the run- am I correct that the nook and kindle 2 require you to purchase from their prospective bookstores- b&n and amazon?
Old 11-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by clovermax View Post
thank you- on some of them I will just ask for differnet formats. but then there are a few that are from defunct publishers- so those I will have to convert. What I dont understand is why the manufacturers cant just have all the formats available. Too bad the ebookman died- but I really need to be able to read on the run- am I correct that the nook and kindle 2 require you to purchase from their prospective bookstores- b&n and amazon?
Not correct for both Readers.

Kindle is limited to Amazon as far as DRM-protected eBooks go. It is said that all ePub shops will be open for the Nook, however (whether from Day One or through a later FW update is not entirely clear yet)

Normally, all non-DRMed ePubs can be read on the Nook and all non-protected PRCs and Mobis work perfectly well on the Kindle (Fictionwise and Baen offer LOTS of un-DRMed ePubs and Mobis, btw). There are loads of free books available for both readers, too. (cf our Wiki)
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
clovermax

I had been looking at the Kindle but was leery of the ability to load older books directly from a flash drive or computer- in case it is not noticable I am not the most tech savvy person- just looking to be able to buy books I desire/re read older books via an ereader- which is why I was looking at getting the sony prs600- I tried to get amazon to clarify ditto sony and neither were very helpful. (not surprised)
Old 11-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
If you still want to continue the waiting game I'd say get a jetBook. They are the least expensive and support prc/mobi standard -- no conversion required. They do NOT, however, support DRM (yet) but it sounds like that may not be a big issue for you.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
clovermax

that is exactly what I did - now I cant get the windows xp or the version 1 of the usb to recognize the jetbook argh