Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Firmware 5.8.8, 5.8.9-plus jailbreak

• : There is no such jail break at the time of this posting.
  • : This thread is just a place for those who want a thread they can subscribe to, in order to get an e-mail notification when one is actually found.
  • : Please do not post questions about who, when, where, etc. in this thread.
    That is just 'noise' that the thread subscribers are not interested in seeing or reading.

Last edited by knc1; 06-01-2017 at 12:10 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
As usual, a reservation of the second thread post:

knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
masteranza
masteranza began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Likely to get a jailbreak?

Hi! How likely is it to get a jailbreak soon? My friend just bought a new PW-3 with an intention to use KAUL and actually read some PDF's, but 5.8.9.2 is killing him.

Thank you,
masteranza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
TBH, not very likely.

But for reading PDF, a Kindle is a rather bad idea jailbroken or not. An iPad is much better for reading PDF.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:18 PM   #5
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
TBH, not very likely.

But for reading PDF, a Kindle is a rather bad idea jailbroken or not. An iPad is much better for reading PDF.
Actually when a PDF is first processed by k2pdfopt for your particular Kindle model it works quite well.

Of course this is completely Off-topic for this thread. At this point in time there is no known way to jailbreak this level of firmware. Should your talents lie in the area of expertise required to locate software vulnerabilites that can be exploited to accomplish this feat I am sure your assistance would be welcomed.

Dave

Last edited by dhdurgee; 06-02-2017 at 09:18 PM. Reason: fix typo
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sorry, but PDF is much better read on a good tablet than a 6" eInk screen. Even processing with some program isn't going to make a PDF designed for a letter size piece of paper look all that good.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:12 AM   #7
masteranza
masteranza began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
That's bad
I've been reading some pdf using KOReader and they work great...
masteranza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #8
Njall
Enthusiast
Njall began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2, S7 Edge, Tab 4
Thank you for your past work. I have a PW2 which was updated to 5.8.9.2 before I started looking into jailbreaking it. Is there anyway to force the loading of an older firmware version? Even if I have to open the case?

PS - Yea Hall and Oates!

Last edited by Njall; 06-11-2017 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Add PS
Njall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:59 PM   #9
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njall View Post
Thank you for your past work. I have a PW2 which was updated to 5.8.9.2 before I started looking into jailbreaking it. Is there anyway to force the loading of an older firmware version? Even if I have to open the case?
Yes, any Kindle where the serial port connections are know can be jailbroken via that route. The only one where the proper connections are currently unknown is the Oasis.

You will have to open the case and connect the proper 1.8v serial adapter to do so and use the appropriate serial software on your computer with the proper settings. Look in the sticky posts at the top of the main forum page and you should be able to find the thread on your particular model.

Dave

PS: look here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541

Last edited by dhdurgee; 06-11-2017 at 07:01 PM. Reason: add link
Old 06-11-2017, 08:18 PM   #10
Njall
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Yes, any Kindle where the serial port connections are know can be jailbroken via that route. The only one where the proper connections are currently unknown is the Oasis.

You will have to open the case and connect the proper 1.8v serial adapter to do so and use the appropriate serial software on your computer with the proper settings. Look in the sticky posts at the top of the main forum page and you should be able to find the thread on your particular model.

Dave

PS: look here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541

In my very best Curly voice, Three Stooges of course, "Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk, I can do that! Thanks! Woop, woop, woop, woop!". Don't even have to install puTTY as I already use it. Do have to order the serial adapter though. Darn!

Nelson
Old 06-11-2017, 10:14 PM   #11
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
In my very best Curly voice, Three Stooges of course, "Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk, I can do that! Thanks! Woop, woop, woop, woop!". Don't even have to install puTTY as I already use it. Do have to order the serial adapter though. Darn!

Nelson
You definitely need the proper adapter as burning out the port is a possibility with the wrong voltage. With a compatible adapter you won't "be a victim of circumstances!"

Hope it goes well for you.

Dave
Old 06-11-2017, 10:39 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:

Nelson
In my best Kotter voice,
Read the instructions. Read all the instructions. Read all the instructions again. Make sure you understand everything. Now you may be ready for the serial port.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #13
Njall
Enthusiast

I'm having a difficult time auralizing "Kotter". Which Kotter? John Kotter, or Welcome Back,
Kotter
. One has a ubiquitous, scholarly voice; while the other has a very Brooklyn voice.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I'm having a difficult time auralizing "Kotter". Which Kotter? John Kotter, or Welcome Back,
Kotter
. One has a ubiquitous, scholarly voice; while the other has a very Brooklyn voice.
Welcome back, Kotter. He was the first teacher that came to mind.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:20 AM   #15
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
I'm going to post some things that haven't worked for me so far, so other people can decide if they want to re-try thame.

A test program loaded on the kindle shows the vulnerability on 5.8.2.1, I have not re-tested now that I have updated to 5.8.9.

However, I set my kindle wifi information to point to my exploit server, and the /var/log/messages did not show any crashes.

Nothing I could find to trigger this vulnerability in lab126 code

• Any variation of the "poison filename" being re-introduced.

I have tried a variety of things, between files with that name, and the updates., they have not worked.

• Using the built-in browser to attack the ports that listen to localhost.

The browser on 5.8.2 and 5.8.9 have a littel difference, but neither work. on 5.8.9 the messages log say something to the effect of "disallowed local request", meaning that perhaps there are some allowed local requests?

• I have had some interesting result on using a corrupted update package.

I took a known good 5.8.9.2 update package, and cut it down to a much smaller size. This appears to pass most of the checks that enable the "Update your kindle" button, but I have not yet had the guts to actually hit that. I'm no sure what the effect will be on the filesystem if it is bad.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote