Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
chopperbobby
Chopperbobby
chopperbobby began at the beginning.

Device: Paper White
Landscape mode in Paper White

The following procedure is supposed to allow me to set my Paper White to the Landscape mode when I have a page in a book open.
Touch the top of the screen > Touch the three dots in the upper right > This opens a drop down menu which is supposed to include a Landscape option. It does not.
Please advise.
Bob
chopperbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
If it doesn't work in one book, try another book. It may be the publisher has set the ebook to no changes.

Third edit: where did you acquire this book?

How did you get the book on the kindle?

What format is the book in?

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 05-19-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The option is no longer to be found in the 'three dot' menu, but rather in Page options:
- tap at top of screen
- tap 'Aa'
- tap 'PAGE'

With current firmware (5.8.9.2) you'll see SPACING, MARGINS, ORIENTATION, and ALIGNMENT options. ALIGNMENT was added very recently, but the Page Options panel existed with the other three options prior to this. This would apply to 6th & 7th generation Paperwhite.

I think even the 5th generation Paperwhite ('PW1') has an analogous Page options panel but don't have mine handy to check.

Last edited by tomsem; 05-19-2017 at 01:08 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Which paperwhite model, there are at least three of them?

That is a feature of the firmware, so what version firmware are you running?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #5
chopperbobby
Chopperbobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
If it doesn't work in one book, try another book. It may be the publisher has set the ebook to no changes.

The book is from Amazon. I downloaded it from Amazon's web site.
I don't know the format? How do I find that?
Thanks for the reply.
Bob
Old 05-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
chopperbobby
Chopperbobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post

Format is Helvetica.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #7
chopperbobby
Chopperbobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The option is no longer to be found in the 'three dot' menu, but rather in Page options:
- tap at top of screen
- tap 'Aa'
- tap 'PAGE'

With current firmware (5.8.9.2) you'll see SPACING, MARGINS, ORIENTATION, and ALIGNMENT options. ALIGNMENT was added very recently, but the Page Options panel existed with the other three options prior to this. This would apply to 6th & 7th generation Paperwhite.

I think even the 5th generation Paperwhite ('PW1') has an analogous Page options panel but don't have mine handy to check.
I have gone to the "Page", but I can get no response to any of the listed options.Wait. I just touched "Orientation" and chose the landscape option, and it worked.
Thank you.
Bob
Old 05-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #8
chopperbobby
Chopperbobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Which paperwhite model, there are at least three of them?

That is a feature of the firmware, so what version firmware are you running?
I am not sure of the model, but the the firmware version is 5.8.9.2.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 05-19-2017, 02:30 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperbobby View Post
I am not sure of the model, but the the firmware version is 5.8.9.2.
Thanks,
Bob
Post the first six characters (only) of the device's serial number and somebody will look it up for you.
(The first six characters of the serial number encodes the model information.)

= = = =

That would be the current version of the firmware.
Amazon has been changing the user interface, so I would suggest you go with the directions you where given above.

Last edited by knc1; 05-19-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:38 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperbobby View Post
Format is Helvetica.
that is the font.

none of which matters, since you fixed your problem.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #11
chopperbobby
Chopperbobby

Quote:
that is the font.

none of which matters, since you fixed your problem.
Thank you for your help.
I had an original Kindle years ago, and when that had a fatal malfunction I bought a Kindle Fire not being aware that it is a tablet which I don't need or want. But my main complaint about the Fire is that I can't read it in the sunlight.
Anyway, I have learned things about all of them as time has passed.
Bob
Old 05-19-2017, 08:31 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Do you mean a K1 or a K2?
If you mean a K2, I still have some and only one is bricked (I bricked it playing with dbus).
geekmaster still has a few K1 devices, and I think they are all still working.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:23 PM   #13
chopperbobby
Chopperbobby

Quote:
Do you mean a K1 or a K2?
If you mean a K2, I still have some and only one is bricked (I bricked it playing with dbus).
geekmaster still has a few K1 devices, and I think they are all still working.
I don't remember. It took a one way trip to the land fill years ago.
Bob
Old 05-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #14
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
It seems some of the kindle functions only work on the books you purchased from Amazon.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #15
chopperbobby
Chopperbobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 344a View Post
It seems some of the kindle functions only work on the books you purchased from Amazon.
I had not noticed that.
I will check the next time I upload a book.
Thanks,
Bob