Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 03-29-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
trying
trying doesn't littertrying doesn't litter

Device: none
Getting PyCharm code completion while writing Calibre plugins

First of all, I am a complete newbie when it comes to writing Calibre plugins. All I've done so far is take kiwidude's Count Pages plugin and blast in the ability to also count the # of occurrences of a (weighted) list of words. (To show how lame my implementation is my weighted list is just a dict of regexs with the weights as the values written directly in his statistics.py file. I didn't bother to write a GUI for this since it's easy enough for me to just edit the source and reload the plugin )

Anyway, I've discovered a way to use the very nice (and free) JetBrains PyCharm 3.1.1 Community Edition IDE that lets you see code completion for Calibre objects while writing plugins. Unfortunately, I don't know how to use the PyCharm Debugger on a Calibre plugin (it's probably impossible?).

The basic idea is to download the source to Calibre, extract the src\Calibre directory --- or even all the subfolders of src --- into a .zip file, and then setup a PyCharm Python Interpreter to have that zip file in its path.

(For whatever reason, I couldn't directly use C:\Program Files\calibre2\pylib.zip? I couldn't even in unpack it correctly since it seems to be some weird zip that doesn't let you unpack while preserving its relative paths?)

Then you'll get code completion for anything in the calibre module. For example, typing "from calibre." will show things like:
constants
db
ebooks
gui2
utils
in a popup. And of course PyCharm already supports PyQt4 so you get code completion when writing your QWidget derived class.

Here's the details for those interested. Assuming you have calibre.zip (just the src\Calibre --- or maybe src if you also want completions of odf, cherrypy, regex, etc? --- tree of calibre-1.29.0.tar.xz) do this:
  1. Set up a PyCharm project for the plugin by choosing File | New Project...

The location should just be the location of your plugins source files. For the Interpreter I use Python 2.7.x but it really doesn't matter since you won't be able to debug anyway.

You'll see a message about "The directory blah is not empty. Would you like to create a project from existing sources instead?" Click on Yes.
  2. Click File | Settings. In the Project Settings section, click on Project Interpreter and then Python Interpreters (You might have to click on the "Configure Interpreters" link first?). Pick a Python 2.7.x interpreter rather than a Python 3.x one (probably doesn't matter?).

In the lower pane, click on the Paths tab. Click on the + button and then set the path to your calibre.zip file.

You might want to select all the Lib\site-packages entries and click the - button, since those modules won't be available within the Calibre pylib.zip file. However, keep Python27\Lib to get code completion for the Python Standard Library (here's where it *does* matter that you pick Python2x rather than Python3x since Calibre uses Python2x).
  3. Click the "Reload lists of paths" icons.
  4. Click Okay to close the Settings dialog.
That's it. You should no longer see the red error squiggles underneath Calibre module objects. One remaining problem is that the following doesn't work (or any other of your plugin's packages):

Code:
   from calibre_plugins.count_pages.common_utils import (get_library_uuid, CustomColumnComboBox,
                                     KeyboardConfigDialog, KeyValueComboBox, PrefsViewerDialog)
presumbably because the plugin's packages are dynamically loaded. A
workaround is to change this to just:

Code:
   from common_utils import (get_library_uuid, CustomColumnComboBox,
and maybe somehow use the correct from statement by checking some Calibre specific variable that lets you know when you are running inside Calibre?

Hope this is of some interest to people

Last edited by trying; 03-29-2014 at 10:03 PM. Reason: fix error
trying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can just do this:

Code:
try:
    from calibre_plugins.count_pages.common_utils import (get_library_uuid, CustomColumnComboBox,
except ImportError:
    from common_utils import (get_library_uuid, CustomColumnComboBox,
And if you want to detect if you are running in a full calibre environment, use this:

Code:
import sys
in_calibre = hasattr(sys, 'extensions_location')

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 03-29-2014 at 11:48 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As for debugging, I have written over half a million lines of python code without once needing to use a debugger, but if you really want to, you can probably setup remote debugging, as described here:

http://blog.jetbrains.com/pycharm/20...-with-pycharm/
Old 03-29-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
trying

Yes the try: except ImportError: technique does work

For the other one, you really meant to say :

Code:
import sys
in_calibre = hasattr(sys, 'extensions_location')
Although, IMO, maybe looking for calibre_basename, calibre_function, or calibre_module is better since more obvious what you are looking for? (extensions_location is a bit general).
Old 03-29-2014, 11:50 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre_basename and friends only exist if you are running a frozen build of calibre. extensions_location always exists even if you are running calibre directly from source.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:01 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Just for giggles I added a remote python debugger to calibre. https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...fd9c65f8c8bffb
Old 03-30-2014, 05:47 AM   #7
trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just for giggles I added a remote python debugger to calibre. https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...fd9c65f8c8bffb
Nice!

I spent a few hours and got debugging Calibre v1.29 plugins to work with PyCharm. Unfortunately it is only possible with PyCharm Professional, since you need the ability to create Python Remote Debug configurations which is not possible with the free PyCharm Community Edition.

Since there is already the HowTo: Debug calibre with Eclipse/PyDev thread (which I just discovered) there probably won't be much demand for debugging with PyCharm Pro.

For those interested, the process is vaguely similar. You start up a Debugger server and add code to your plugin to call settrace(). However, PyCharm also requires what they call "Path mappings" that are currently a little buggy (at least on Windows 7). If they fix this I might start another thread that explains how to debug Calibre with PyCharm Pro in more detail.

Tags
pycharm