Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 11-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
GuardianAngel671
GuardianAngel671 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ebook reader question please:)

I'm new here so first off I'm hoping that I'm posting to correct area. I have calibre installed on my Windows7 desktop PC so that I can read my ebooks at home.It works great for that My 2 boys teachers recommended that I find a program that will read the ebooks aloud so the boys can read aloud with it. (I think it's called partnered reading) I was looking for either an Ebook reader or a plugin for calibre that would help with this. My calibre just updated today so I'm hoping it's current -I'm not sure where to look for version # in it.

Thanks for any help.
Rose
GuardianAngel671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Read aloud can be an important way to learn to read or learn a language. There are three methods to accomplish this. For more information on this topic see our wiki (the top of each page has a link) and look for Sound, TTS and the category Blind.

1. TTS (Text to speech). This method uses a TTS engine to actually read the text itself with varying success. The is also used in talking GPS devices. It may or may not pronounce the words correctly. It can have a robot like generated voice or may have prerecorded voices that have phons recorded which are then assembled together to make the sounds. Several eBook readers support TTS although its use may be blocked on a particular book. It can also be available for computers and used to read text.

2. Prerecorded books can also be used which can be played back as an audio file while you read the book with a different program. Many devices support audio playback in the background while reading an ebook.

3. ePub 3 format has the ability to embed audio in the book itself with audio controls in the book interface. (Actually a form of this existed in ePub version 2 as well but I am not aware of any support for this.) Some tablet devices have support for ePub 3 and can use books of this type. This permits synchronization of sound and text in some cases.

4. A fourth solution is to use hardware and software designed for the blind but this is usually pretty expensive.

Again, to explore this further check the wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
GuardianAngel671

ok thanks I'll go check that out first
Old 11-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I believe the kindle app does have TTS and will work on calibre books converted to mobi and you can set it as the default mobi reader.

kindle for pc accessibility

Not superb but a place to start.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
GuardianAngel671

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I believe the kindle app does have TTS and will work on calibre books converted to mobi and you can set it as the default mobi reader.

kindle for pc accessibility

Not superb but a place to start.

Helen
Ok thanks for tip also. Now to get a link -gotta love google lol.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Don't know what happened there but here is the text link
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200596280

Helen

That one works
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote