Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
So how does this front-lite compare to others

So how does this front-lite compare to kindle PW and kobo glo
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:21 AM   #2
iwanme
iwanme began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Odyssey Frontlight HD
The light is better than in Kobo, and it has one very important thing for me which are hardware buttons for page switching.
I don't know why they haven't included them in Kindle PW. Using only the touchscreen for switching pages isn't the best solution in the long run. And it was the main reason why I chose Frontlight HD over PaperWhite.
iwanme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:08 AM   #3
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
The lighting is good but since the diodes are more visable there is slightly more shadowing at the bottom edge.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
ibat
Fool
ibat began at the beginning.

Device: HanLin V3, Cybook Odyssey HD, PocketBook PB626, PB632
The Hardware is quite nice. Buttons are nice to have. And the light is pleasant. But unfortunately the SW has major usability issues.
ibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibat View Post
But unfortunately the SW has major usability issues.
I don't agree.
It is missing a search function, but that's all...
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
I don't agree.
It is missing a search function, but that's all...
Seconded.

Folder view makes the odyssey way more usable than any other reader to me
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
ibat
Fool

Well I have read 12 books since January on this device. So yes it does work for me and I cannot put it down. But I would be a lot happier if my bug reports were responded to. Here are some of the things I have posted to Bookeen:

*) in ebook reader ( epub )
+) dictionary on a touch screen is very cool!
-) links to endmarks or footnotes work very seldom. it usually does a dictionary lookup instead
-) footer shows incorrect page numbers ( 2 times 37/117, then 37-38/117 ). This is quite confusing when I jump to endmarks I need to return to the page by selecting jump to page ... but how should I do this if I don't have a correct page number?
-) bookmarks are not user friendly
-) search function is missing
*) library view
+) folder view was a criteria -- I can define a useful folder layout in calibre and in the library view will where to find which books
-) It needs to be possible to configure library view to individual expectations/templates as for instance in calibre: display of lang tags etc. Also the truncation of the visible content is not helpful.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
joepsichip
joepsichip has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD FrontLight & Opus White • iRex DR800SG & iLiad 2 Ed.
Quote:
-) footer shows incorrect page numbers ( 2 times 37/117, then 37-38/117 ). This is quite confusing when I jump to endmarks I need to return to the page by selecting jump to page ... but how should I do this if I don't have a correct page number?
to return to a previous position is sufficient to press with a finger the screen and move upwards. this returns you to the page where you started.
joepsichip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #9
ibat
Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepsichip View Post
to return to a previous position is sufficient to press with a finger the screen and move upwards. this returns you to the page where you started.

Thank you.

That is helpful. Sliding up in the epup reader takes you to the last page you jumped from. I tried sliding down too. This jumps down it seems to the next bookmark. Are these features listed anywhere?
Old 04-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Thank you.

That is helpful. Sliding up in the epup reader takes you to the last page you jumped from. I tried sliding down too. This jumps down it seems to the next bookmark. Are these features listed anywhere?
I don't think so.
I started a thread about these hidden features here but did not continue since there seemed to be hardly any interest in those.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:54 AM   #11
freader
freader began at the beginning.

Device: cybook odyssey
Quote:
This feature is exactly the same on every device I have tried (cybook odyssey, FBreader and Aldiko on android device). It seams the page numbers are defined on the number of words or something like that. That way, the page number doesn’t change when you change the size of the font.
freader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #12
freader
freader began at the beginning.

Device: cybook odyssey
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
I don't think so.
I started a thread about these hidden features here but did not continue since there seemed to be hardly any interest in those.
It’s a shame, because I think people read it even if they are not registered to this forum

Also, it definitely should be in the reader’s manuel!
freader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:47 AM   #13
ibat
Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by freader View Post
This feature is exactly the same on every device I have tried (cybook odyssey, FBreader and Aldiko on android device). It seams the page numbers are defined on the number of words or something like that. That way, the page number doesn’t change when you change the size of the font.
I didn't experience this on my HanLin V3 when reading fb2 books. If you increased font size the page numbers would also increase.