Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #24346
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
I thought retirement meant rest!
I'm ready to go back to work just so I CAN get some rest!

But it's now official.... YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!

That 'category O-A' means it's a Retirement Visa. I'm not even permitted to work! Of course I'll continue to shoot and write for the mags, but no 'official work' in Thailand.

We're celebrating with big mugs of East India Company's "Assam" tea and cheesecake!

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 04-04-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:05 AM   #24347
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

That 'category O-A' means it's a Retirement Visa. I'm not even permitted to work! Of course I'll continue to shoot and write for the mags, but no 'official work' in Thailand.

We're celebrating with big mugs of East India Company's "Assam" tea and cheesecake!

Stitchawl
Great news!
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:37 AM   #24348
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
At last! A tale of perseverance, Stitchawl, that must have been really trying at times. At least you had the V&R thread to let off some steam . So have you set an exact date for your move?

Soon to be Rooibos in my cup.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:40 AM   #24349
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Glad you're on your way! I hope you get as many stories from the actual trip as you have from the pre-trip bureaucracy!

No cups or mugs right now, but a grapefruit in my bowl.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:00 AM   #24350
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
At last! A tale of perseverance, Stitchawl, that must have been really trying at times. At least you had the V&R thread to let off some steam . So have you set an exact date for your move?
I put a 5hz pure tone meditation tape on 'continuous loop' and have kept that in my ears for days just to keep from blowing up. Today I switched to a tape of Nepalese monks chanting 'Om Mani Pedme Hum' on continuous loop for my ride into Osaka and wait at the Consulate. I think they could have asked me if I'd like my arm cut off and I would have just smiled at that point. But they didn't. They just smiled and handed me our passports.

On of the requirements for this category of visa is that you must have confirmed flight tickets. Those were actually one of the difficult parts to this, as it's normal for Japanese travel agents to buy up all available seats, and only release them about three weeks before the flight. Usually the best you can do is get 'on the list' for the seats as they become available. We did an end run around the Japanese ticket agents and bought our flights from an International seller just so we could get 'confirmed' tickets. We fly out June 6th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Glad you're on your way! I hope you get as many stories from the actual trip as you have from the pre-trip bureaucracy!
We should. This 'trip' will last the rest of our lives. It's not a trip, it's a 'move' back to northern Thailand for retirement. It will be nice to get out of this 'cement jungle' and back into a real one!

Stitchawl
Old 04-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #24351
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
It will be nice to get out of this 'cement jungle' and back into a real one!
A real change of environment/lifestyle! What is the internet access like in the "real jungle"?

Black coffee (decaff).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #24352
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Congratulations, Stitchawl. A triumph of perseverance.

Coke Zero #2 very shortly.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #24353
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
A real change of environment/lifestyle! What is the internet access like in the "real jungle"?
When I first started visiting Thailand back in the early '90's, there were internet cafes going up everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE! The local kids were/are too poor to own their own computers, go internet game centers can be found on just about every block in every village. Plus, there are so many backpack tourists all over SE Asia who all need to check their mail, so it became a good business. But back then, connection was VERRRRRRY slow. Often, we'd give up trying to download an e-mail because it was talking 20 minutes to do so.

These days, there are still internet cafes everywhere because of the tourists and the gamers, to to point now, in many cities, children under the age of 16 are not permitted into the game centers before 3pm, and the internet speeds have increased. These days in the area we'll be living in, on a good day we'll be able to get 7-15MBS download speeds. Here in Japan I get 50-70MBS. It's a trade off...
But there is free Wi-fi everywhere now, and there are even a couple of Starbucks in the town we'll be going to. All the guest houses have it, most of the outdoor restaurants offer it, etc., etc. Except for download speed, Thailand is more computer savy than Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Congratulations, Stitchawl. A triumph of perseverance.
Thank you. I make of habit of perseverance. If something refuses to budge, I won't waste my time on it. But if there is even a slim chance, I don't give up.

Time now to sit back with an afterdinner cup of unbranded Keemun tea!

Stitchawl
Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #24354
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
W00T! Congrats Stichy!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #24355
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:

Stitchawl
Congratulations!!! Your perseverance finally paid off.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #24356
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Congrats Stitchawl! And good luck with the move

In my cup: diet coke.

(Still no news. Big boss is back since yesterday but hasn't even bothered to talk to my boss. We think she's waiting until our HR manager is back at the office. It's putting everyone on edge.)
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #24357
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Just finished Coke Zero #3.

It's just occurred to me that the security interview next Wednesday means that I'm going to have to clear up my basement office! (Since the interview is at my house.)

I'm going to have a busy few days!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #24358
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Excellent news, Stitchawl. Congratulations on your perseverance. And on getting out of that concrete jungle -- I perfectly understand that desire!

In my cup -- Fresh squeezed OJ. And a mug of Organic 2nd flush Darjeeling. All to go with my breakfast burrito made with my chorizo and my eggs.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #24359
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Congratulations Stitchawl! I was surprised that last part happened so quickly. I hope the renewal process at every 90 days is much easier than this first part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Just finished Coke Zero #3.

It's just occurred to me that the security interview next Wednesday means that I'm going to have to clear up my basement office! (Since the interview is at my house.)

I'm going to have a busy few days!
Good idea about cleaning up your office for the interview. You never know, they may have a psychologist there to check out your environment.

Good luck with the interview.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #24360
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Another early morning start... Off to the Kyoto mountainside to catch the Cherry Blossoms around the temples. Might be my last chance to do so. I've a big thermos of unbranded Keemun tea to bring along, so even if the photography doesn't work, I'm sure the tea will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Congratulations Stitchawl! I was surprised that last part happened so quickly. I hope the renewal process at every 90 days is much easier than this first part.
No problem. I'll hire a Visa service to do that for me in Thailand. $25 for the whole works. Worth it at twice the price, especially as all the paperwork needs to be in Thai! Here in Japan it would have cost me about $2,000-$3000 to do what I did myself.

Stitchawl

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?