Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Ptaker
Enthusiast
Ptaker began at the beginning.

Device: K3 Wifi No Ads/K4 Wifi ads
I've got duplicates in my Calibre library

I use two computers to manage my list of books in Calibre. To sync the two Calibre lists, I use a cloud program (SugerSync) that merges the library files and folders in the cloud and syncs both computers.

My question: Recently I noticed that there are several authors that have duplicate listings for the same books (with different numbers after the book). Since I am trying to conserve the space I am using in the cloud backup, is there a way to eliminate the duplicate book listings. An example is attached.

If I re-direct the Calibre library to a different folder on the computer, will that "clean up" the duplicate book listing?

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Calibre Problem - Duplicate listing.pdf (590.2 KB, 268 views)
Ptaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptaker View Post
I use two computers to manage my list of books in Calibre. To sync the two Calibre lists, I use a cloud program (SugerSync) that merges the library files and folders in the cloud and syncs both computers.

My question: Recently I noticed that there are several authors that have duplicate listings for the same books (with different numbers after the book). Since I am trying to conserve the space I am using in the cloud backup, is there a way to eliminate the duplicate book listings. An example is attached.

If I re-direct the Calibre library to a different folder on the computer, will that "clean up" the duplicate book listing?

Bob
Get Plugins: Find Duplicates
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It looks as if your Calibre database and the underlying files have got out of step. That is always a risk using a cloud based solution for storing files. If there are any syncing issues. It is the sort of issue that can happen if either:
- you had calibre running at two locations at the same time (so the metadata.db file could not be synced).
- you did not wait for sync to complete upload after running a Calibre session
- you did not wait for sync to complete download before running a Calibre session.

Running the Library Maintenance (via the Library icon) will help with finding which files are the ones that Calibre does not have in its current database.

Alternatively, if you use the Calibre facility to move your library to a new location, then any files left behind are ones that Calibre does not have a record of in the (current) database.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Ptaker
Enthusiast

Thank you for the responses. I will try the library maintenance to straighten out the database.

PS: I do have Find Duplicates but there were no duplicates in Calibre.

Bob
Old 03-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you for the responses. I will try the library maintenance to straighten out the database.

PS: I do have Find Duplicates but there were no duplicates in Calibre.

Bob
FD has different Usage modes. Did you use the Arrow next to the Icon to choose the second library to compare against?
Old 03-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
Ptaker
Enthusiast

I did as was suggested.

I used the Calibre library maintenance tools to remove the problem duplicate files.

I was trying to use Sugarsync (like drop box) to sync the database library between home and laptop computers. If I made an entry on one computer, I was looking to have it synced on the other through Sugarsync's cloud backup. I guess that is why the files got messed up.

Any suggestions on how to sync them without these problems other than copying the files from one computer to another?

Thanks for all the assistance.

Bob
Old 03-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I used the Calibre library maintenance tools to remove the problem duplicate files.

I was trying to use Sugarsync (like drop box) to sync the database library between home and laptop computers. If I made an entry on one computer, I was looking to have it synced on the other through Sugarsync's cloud backup. I guess that is why the files got messed up.

Any suggestions on how to sync them without these problems other than copying the files from one computer to another?

Thanks for all the assistance.

Bob
1) Only have 1 computer running Calibre at any one TIME.

2) Allow the Sync to complete before starting up Calibre on the other computer.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do not forget you also need to allow sync to complete after closing Calibre before powering off that machine! I think this is one that sometimes gets forgotten.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
Frenchdummy
Enthusiast
Frenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo glo, Apple devices
Hello,
It's hard to understand all explanations when English is not our native language, so don't blame me if you find my question odd or if I really looks like an idiot. (Maybe I am)

So I've got also duplicates, in files AND/OR entries in the Calibre data I can't deal with.
A PM from a french user will be welcome, I know there are some (David P) ie.

A step by step video tuto would be greatly useful

The Question is what is the right structure of the folders and filenames.

The logical rule shouldn't be Name, fN / Title ?
Frenchdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchdummy View Post
Hello,
It's hard to understand all explanations when English is not our native language, so don't blame me if you find my question odd or if I really looks like an idiot. (Maybe I am)

So I've got also duplicates, in files AND/OR entries in the Calibre data I can't deal with.
A PM from a french user will be welcome, I know there are some (David P) ie.

A step by step video tuto would be greatly useful

The Question is what is the right structure of the folders and filenames.

The logical rule shouldn't be Name, fN / Title ?
You do not worry about or use the folder/file structure inside the Library.
That is 100% managed by Calibre (and will NOT be changed).

The Find duplicates plugin can perform a number of comparisons (See the FD Help file in Plugins forum).
Old 04-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #11
Frenchdummy
Enthusiast
Frenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo glo, Apple devices
Duplicates

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You do not worry about or use the folder/file structure inside the Library.
That is 100% managed by Calibre (and will NOT be changed).

The Find duplicates plugin can perform a number of comparisons (See the FD Help file in Plugins forum).
Yeah, first thanks for your reply.
I said I could be idiot, and I were. (probably like all other users who have issues) I spent several days to change the structure. (folders/files.epub).
In addition, I used to add an extra space between Asimov,[space]Isaac in Calibre; I guess I shouldn't.
Frenchdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchdummy View Post
Yeah, first thanks for your reply.
I said I could be idiot, and I were. (probably like all other users who have issues) I spent several days to change the structure. (folders/files.epub).
In addition, I used to add an extra space between Asimov,[space]Isaac in Calibre; I guess I shouldn't.
Calibre has a tight coupling between the metadata database and the underlying files. If you rename any files/folders in Calibre then you are breaking this link which effectively means that Calibre will no longer be able to locate the actual ebook files. You should never manipulate the underlying files but only via the Calibre GUI.

You CAN control the format that is used when exporting ebooks from Calibre via the 'Send to Device' or 'Save to Disk' operations which are the recommended ways to get files out of Calibre. There is a usable editable template for each of these that can be set under Preferences.