Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #31
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
thanks

I see what you're saying. Good advice. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
You wouldn't notice it in the Book View unless the nonbreaking space happened close enough to the end of a line that it forced the two words on either side of it to the next line.

You'd be concerned because, depending on the reader's settings, it forces those words to stay together. This is especially annoying if they're long words and the reader is reading at a larger font size.

So if you have a line like:
The thing the Time Traveller held in his hand was a glittering metallic framework, scarcely larger than a small clock, and very delicately made. There was ivory in it, and some transparent crystalline substance.

... it's fine. If, however, you wound up with   between "framework" and "scarcely," a reader could be stuck with:

The thing the Time Traveller held in his hand was a glittering metallic
framework, scarcely larger than a small clock, and very delicately made. There was
ivory in it, and some transparent crystalline substance.

Tolerable; not great. Or worse, if they're reading in large print on a small device:
The thing the Time Traveller held in his
hand was a glittering metallic
framework, scarcely larger than a small
clock, and very delicately made. There
was ivory in it, and some transparent
crystalline substance.

Any one instance will likely not be noticed. However, one every tenth word would make for awful formatting in many views.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #32
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

sorry

I tried to follow your instructions and it got me where I told you. Can you expound on your instructions a little? Maybe a step-by-step thing. Like, I think I got off track in the very beginning with your 'Find an epub in Explorer.' Not sure what you meant by that (and how to do it). Wasn't sure by what 'do it for All' meant either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You DON'T really want to do this at the specific FILE level.
Do it for All by following my instructions

All this affects is the ICON and what program YOUR PC uses for EPUB
Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #33
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I had left some excess wording when I shifted (thinking) gears

Quote:
Find an EPUB file In Explorer: (on the Menu) Tools: Folder Options: File Type Tab: (find EPUB on the list. single click in the list, tap an E to get close..fast ):Click the Change button: Pick your poison
This is all done from the MENU of Explorer (the file one), not IE

Last edited by theducks; 02-01-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: readability
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #34
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Got it! Thanks!

It only gave me two options. Interestingly when I chose Nook to open it, it didn't change the icons (it left me with those ugly brown ADE icons). But I ended up choosing ADE to open it, and tested to see if the ADE-opened epub would work on Nook for PC (which it wouldn't before) and it worked fine. So I'm going with ADE to open it. (I'll live with the brown icons! lol) Thanks Ducks.

Quote:
I had left some excess wording when I shifted (thinking) gears

This is all done from the MENU of Explorer (the file one), not IE
Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #35
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstardiode View Post
It only gave me two options. Interestingly when I chose Nook to open it, it didn't change the icons (it left me with those ugly brown ADE icons). But I ended up choosing ADE to open it, and tested to see if the ADE-opened epub would work on Nook for PC (which it wouldn't before) and it worked fine. So I'm going with ADE to open it. (I'll live with the brown icons! lol) Thanks Ducks.
The Same place you set the Default program, has a place to assign any loose icon or another program's Icon to EPUB They DON'T have to match
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #36
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
The Same place you set the Default program, has a place to assign any loose icon or another program's Icon to EPUB They DON'T have to match
Thanks Ducks, I went and took a peek (I assume you were talking about the 'advanced' button in the 'file type' tab and then the 'change icons' button. I don't know though. It only showed a few icons to choose from. One was a pdf. Another ascm or something like that and then my brown one. There was a "browse" button but I got a little psyched out at that point and bailed. As long as the epub files function properly I don't care about the icons. I mean, is there any advantage to changing the icons (beyond aesthetics)?