Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
clashcityrocker
clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Google Books on PRS-T1

Hi, I have some purchased books I want to read on my PRS-T1. I can't figure out how to achieve it thou.

if I go through the web browser to Google Books, I can't ever get the acsm file (it always tries to view the book online).

I know Sony are desperate for my to get books from them, but in the 2 years it took them to get their crap together in the UK and launch a book store, people have already started using other digital book stores.

Will rooting and installing Google Play Books help me in any way? I am currently stripping DRM and copying the books, but it seems like there must be a better solution...
clashcityrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
The link to Google Books on the T1 doesn't work & if you've updated to the latest [hardware] oops I mean firmware!! it's been removed.

Connect the device to your computer & just drag & drop the books into the reader or use Calibre. I don't personally like using the Sony software to put books on my reader because it insists on syncing my entire library on it which I don't want. So make sure the Sony software isn't running on your computer when you connect the reader.

You might even want to start the software without the reader connected to make sure it's not set to open when you connect the reader to your computer. It's under preferences I believe.

Last edited by Shopaholic; 01-27-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Shopaholic I'm a bit confused re the auto sync you mentioned between the reader and Reader for PC.

My Reader for PC doesn't auto sync, although I get a dialogue box asking me if I want to auto sync every time I connect the device to the PC if I've got the Reader program open.

Is it different for the T1?

I use Reader for PC as the download program for all my Epubs irrespective of where I buy them or get them free from, eg Kobo, Books on Board etc. There are more than a few hundred epubs sitting there.

Did this change for the T1 maybe, so that it's no longer an option? I would hate the thought that when I upgrade to the new (whenever it happens) Sony glow type reader that I am compelled to auto sync.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lynx, perhaps I have injested too much cold medicine but I don't understand what you're asking. Change for the T1 from what? The 650? I think it's part of the Reader for PC & the new readers. I don't believe it does it automatically for the x50's. I had a 350 at the time the T1 & the new Reader for PC came out and it didn't do that.

The Sony T1 when connected to your computer with Reader for PC running automatically starts syncing every single book in your library onto your device. I don't want that. In fact, I hate it. Even if you try to stop it it's already made changes to the way your books are set up on your device. I've never been fast enough to not have that happen.

How do you get your books onto your device? I do not use the Reader for PC for that. I either use drag & drop or download on the reader itself or use Calibre. I won't use Reader for PC to get books onto my reader because it makes a complete mess of it.

There are several old threads from when the T1 first came out with what Reader for PC does in the way it syncs to the device. I have not and will not take the chance to connect my device with Reader for PC running so I don't know if it's changed but somehow I doubt it. It'll still do the auto sync nonsense which I do not want.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
It is possible to turn off auto-sync in Reader for PC, though I've forgotten how, since I did it so long ago. Maybe someone else here can tell you.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Shopaholic I left out that I'm referring to the 650 and Reader for PC, lol

after I download every book in Reader for PC ( or Kindle for PC) I then import them into Calibre and clean them.

Then I use any of the methods to get them onto my devices: drag/drop, Calibre connected to device to send, or use Dropbox etc for Kobo and Playbook.

Yucko if it's compulsory sync from the T1 model onwards

The Kobo desktop does the same, so I've set up 2 Kobo accounts: first account is my primary account which I use to buy the Kobo books; and the second account is the account I only use for the device, and therefore sync with Kobo desktop when there's a software upgrade.

So - the first account buys the books, but I don't ever use that with Kobo desktop.

I only use the second account (which doesn't buy books) to sync with Kobo desktop.

Maybe that's a way for you to consider with Sony as well?

It seems that when I upgrade my Sony I'll also have to have a second Sony account and do that.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
It is possible to turn off auto-sync in Reader for PC, though I've forgotten how, since I did it so long ago. Maybe someone else here can tell you.
No it doesn't. I've been through all this when the T1 first came out. If I want to use Reader for PC to put books on the device it's not as simple as it was with the Reader Library program. It messes up what I already have so I simply don't use it to do so.

Been there, done that. Tried many things and am not willing to go through that nonsense again. It's not worth the headache, agravation or my time.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Lynx, as I said, I don't use their software to get books on my reader. There are many other less heart attack inducing methods to do so and I avail myself of all of them as need be. Direct download on the device, drag & drop or Calibre where I can select only the books I want on my reader and not my entire library.

I'm very happy buying books on the Reader for PC because it's easy to browse there than through the device but I will never again willingly put myself through the hell I went through when it first came out with the T1 and the new software. No. Thank. You!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

@Shopaholic how do you upgrade your T1 software?

Can you just do that via the device itself?

Or hasn't there been any T1 firmware upgrades?

With the Kobo Glo there are upgrades every now and again and the device must be synced to the Kobo desktop software to do that.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Thankfully you can download the update separately & update the firmware without being tied to that wretched program. The hubby got me a new red T1 and I just did it on that one today.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think this is how it works. You have to go under Preferences and uncheck "launch reader desktop when connecting the Reader device. Then once you get the reader hooked up and can get to Sync, you have to uncheck everything (books, audio, etc.)

If you want to sync, you then recheck everything and tell it to sync; when you are done, uncheck everything again before you disconnect the Reader and shut down the software. You have to make sure everything is unchecked each time you get ready to disconnect and shut down.

Unfortunately I don't know if you can stop the auto sync from happening the first time you connect, before you get a chance to uncheck everything. Maybe somebody else knows?

Last edited by 4691mls; 01-27-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #12
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Thankfully you can download the update separately & update the firmware without being tied to that wretched program. The hubby got me a new red T1 and I just did it on that one today.
Enjoy your new red T1
Old 01-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
If I can remember how I turned off the auto-sync, I'll let you know. I know I have it off on mine.
Thanks for that
Old 01-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #14
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Quote:
If I can remember how I turned off the auto-sync, I'll let you know. I know I have it off on mine.
Thank you but for me, there's no need. It just doesn't work the way I would like it to which was like the old Reader Library did so what I do now works for me. Less hassles & frustration.

Tell me something though, how do you get new books on your reader using the PC software? What happens to the books & collections already on your reader when you go to add new books? Can you manipulate your collections on your reader or are those options greyed out for you? Like if you have a book in one collection and then want to move it into a Books Read collection can you or will it not let you? From the reader itself that is.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
4691mls
Wizard

From what I hear, Calibre is probably better for organizing large numbers of books, so if Calibre is working for you, it's probably not worth messing with the Sony software.

I don't use collections on the PC software on my computer. I do have collections on the Reader. When I add new books (i.e. if I buy a book from Sony store on my PC, then sync with the Reader) the book goes into the general Books listing on the Reader. I can then go into Collections on the Reader, choose to add content, and select the newly added book (or any other book) to add to the collection.

However, I don't have a large amount of books stored on the reader, as I read a lot of library books.