Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
I'm quite worried about the battery.

Hi guys, today was the day. I ordered an NST and leather cover. After that, I decided to do some additional research (additional because I already knew some information) and I found a bunch (more like a couple of dozens) of guys with battery drainage problems. Stuff like, 100% during the night and 76% in the morning. As it seems, it doesn't have any cure.

I'm worried. Should I really be?

Thank you very much.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
My sample of 1 Nook Simple Touch has not had any issues with unusual battery drain.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:47 AM   #3
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
See the other battery post on this page. Seems to be fairly common (I've had it on 2 nooks). RAH has a method that works fine for me: After your battery drains down about 10% you can top it off through a computer USB and get the expected battery life (lose 1 or 2 percent a day).

Or you can exchange it (probably the way to go).

I'd let it go through a few charging cycles to make sure it isn't just a calibration thing, and then if the problem persists, return it or use RAH's home remedy.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:44 AM   #4
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't received it yet but after that I have only 10 days to return it. It will be enough to sort the things out?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
You are right to be a little worried, because 14 days isn't enough to tell whether your Touch has the problem. One reason is because the very first thing they tell you to do when you get it home is to charge it. So, depending on how much charge it has when you start, you may actually be using my "topping off" routine which gets around the problem.

In other words, if it has a fair amount of charge when you first get it (say 75% or higher), when you charge it from there to 100%, you are performing the topping off technique which makes it behave itself, drain-wise.

If it only has a small charge when you get it home (say 30% or less), then this is a better test, since starting at so low an amount and charging it all the way to 100% is where the rapid drain problem is apt to occur, if you are going to get it at all.

So, one thing you could do is check the charge BEFORE charging it, right when you get home. If it is pretty high, then I'd suggest just using it WITHOUT CHARGING IT and see if it behaves OK. If so, you may have a good one. But if you charge it right away (i.e. you are topping it off), you won't know for a month. This is what happened to me with both bad Touches I got - they were pretty full when I first got them, but I followed instructions and charged them up right away and didn't find out I had the problem till over a month went by.

However, if the charge is low when you get it home, you'll have no choice but to charge it as instructed. But if you are going to have the problem, this is when you will get it - after a charge from low up to full.

So, it's better if the charge is low when you get it home, so you'll probably be able to see right after your initial charge whether it will behave OK.

Hope this helps. I say that you should be "a little" worried because it appears that B&N is now exchanging Touches that have this problem at the store, even after the 14-day return period, giving you a new one, not a refurb. They weren't doing this back when I had the problem with my first Touch.

The entire thread about "Excessive Battery Use?" has more info about my topping off technique, if you do need to use it.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I would think the problem would show itself immediately, but you needn't worry about the 10 days in this case if this is anything like the beazels. I was able to echange my original nook after I'd had it nearly a year when the beazel cracked because it was a manufacturing defect.

ETA: I've had my STR for a year and have never had problems with the battery.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
AlexGrama
Writer

Damn. I hope I haven't made the wrong decision. Maybe I should have bought the KTouch.

RAH, so let me get this straight. If the power is at 70% when I remove it from the box, I should use it until it drains to 20% and after that recharge it. In this time, if the drainage will encounter too quickly I know that it's damaged. And, If the power is already low when I get it from the box, I have no other choice than charge it and examine its behavior overnight.

Is this correct?

astrangerhere, thank you for reply. I hope it will not be a broken sample.

EDIT: What does "top it off" means? Overcharge it?
Old 04-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
RAH, so let me get this straight. If the power is at 70% when I remove it from the box, I should use it until it drains to 20% and after that recharge it. In this time, if the drainage will encounter too quickly I know that it's damaged. And, If the power is already low when I get it from the box, I have no other choice than charge it and examine its behavior overnight.

Is this correct?
Yes.

Quote:
EDIT: What does "top it off" means? Overcharge it?
I discovered that with both of my faulty Nooks that there is a charging technique that STOPS the rapid discharge problem. I detail it in several "versions" in that other thread, as I discovered them, but here is a summary. This assumes that you have a faulty Touch:

1) Let you Nook discharge down to about 25 or 30%

2) Use the charger (or the PC/USB cable connection if you don't have a charger) to charge it to 100% . This usually takes about exactly 2 hours with the charger (wait till the green light comes on).

3) Use the Nook and/or leave it alone (let it go to sleep) for a long enough time for the charge to drop to about 90% or less. If you have a rapidly-draining Touch, this should be say 10 hours or so.

4) Charge the Nook again, "topping it off" back up to 100% using either the charger or the PC/USB connection. Once you have done this, the Touch will no longer drain rapidly, but just the expected 2-4% per day, whether in use or in sleep (with WiFi OFF).

In my experience, using the PC/USB charge for step 4 might work better. I have NEVER had my faulty TOUCH continue to rapidly drain after performing step 4 (until the next time I charged it as in step 1, of course).

The annoyance here is that you have to do this double-charging technique each time it needs to be charged. But it does work and I have been using my 2nd faulty Touch for over 6 months like this.

Hope this helps. Don't panic. You did the right thing in buying a Nook over a Kindle, IMHO.

Last edited by RAH; 04-19-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Hope this helps. Don't panic. You did the right thing in buying a Nook over a Kindle, IMHO.
I wholeheartedly agree. I've never been so happy with an electronic purchase in my life. I keep thinking I'll buy another one "for my wife" as a backup for me.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
AlexGrama
Writer

Understood. This seems reasonable and not a hard task. So, normally, it will last 2 months as in the advertisement? (of course with non-faulty nook). As you said, it is "expected 2-4%" per day. Is it really? I know that the e-ink technology uses power only when the screen refreshes itself, so when the nook is in stand-by, why does it drains off ?

I recently sold my K3 and it didn't have this issue. The battery lasted always more than a month.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #11
AlexGrama
Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. I've never been so happy with an electronic purchase in my life. I keep thinking I'll buy another one "for my wife" as a backup for me.
Just a thought. If it has this battery problem, why does everyone (or almost) say that it is the best reader on the market? I know there are differences between it and Kindle as for interface and many other, but the battery is a big issue which, in my opinion, shouldn't be forgotten.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #12
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
None of the five Nook STR that is spread around my family and friends have shown this problem. They all have excellent battery life.
So I would say don't worry ahead of time!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #13
RAH
Guru

Quote:
So, normally, it will last 2 months as in the advertisement? (of course with non-faulty nook). As you said, it is "expected 2-4%" per day. Is it really?
Well, really about 1 month. I mean 3% each day for 30 days is 90%, and I seldom let it go below about 25% before I charge it.

As far as why they say it is the best e-ink reader, well most people don't have this battery problem, and reviewers probably never have it (they don't have it long enough). I'm happy with it overall, even with the problem. In fact, I love it.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #14
AlexGrama
Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
None of the five Nook STR that is spread around my family and friends have shown this problem. They all have excellent battery life.
So I would say don't worry ahead of time!
I figured that probably B&N delivered a faulty batch around the world. I hope that it wasn't very big.

Off Topic: I know that ST means Simple Touch but what does R from STR stands for?
Old 04-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
AlexGrama
Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Well, really about 1 month. I mean 3% each day for 30 days is 90%, and I seldom let it go below about 25% before I charge it.

As far as why they say it is the best e-ink reader, well most people don't have this battery problem, and reviewers probably never have it (they don't have it long enough). I'm happy with it overall, even with the problem. In fact, I love it.
Understood. To quote one sixteen-years-old-bad-ass girl: "May the odds be ever in your favor."