Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 03-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #16
TonyKZ1
TonyKZ1 began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
Very nice. Maybe you could help iriver rewrite the rest of their software.
Yes, wouldn't that be nice, maybe a wireless driver that actually supports the various authentication and password settings/options. I'm still working on testing connections to various hotspots and access points, so far now I've able to connect to three.
Tony
TonyKZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #17
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You'll have to ask someone else for that. I think I'm done modding the Story HD for now.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #18
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
You'll have to ask someone else for that. I think I'm done modding the Story HD for now.
darn, i was hoping Tetris was just around the corner.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #19
Per Hansen
Website Programmer
Per Hansen began at the beginning.

Device: iriver Story HD
I tried the web portal on the v1.28 SE version, and it appears to work nicely. Danke!

My personal opinions are as follows:
- Pros: Much much needed functionality! The device is now a lot more useful.

- Cons: Possibly breaking the unit. Also, it feels like the device is not really meant for browsing the web.
Per Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #20
jmseight
Zealot
jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3G, Kindle Touch 3G, iRiver Story HD, Sony Reader
Hi frostschutz,

I noticed you start httpd in the install script.

Is it possible to start telnetd or sshd or other daemon so you can log into the iriver?

Thanks,
James
jmseight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #21
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmseight View Post
Is it possible to start telnetd or sshd or other daemon so you can log into the iriver?
Yes, the device does have a telnetd installed (part of busybox) and it works fine, albeit a bit slow (or it might just be bad wifi connectivity in my home). Just be aware that if you make a mistake on the shell, there currently is no known way to recover the device.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:59 AM   #22
jmseight
Zealot
jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Hi Frostshutz,

I understand the problems with bricking. Is there any way you can post something regarding how to get telnetd to work. I would like to look around the device - at my risk - to see what is there.

Thanks,
James
Old 04-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #23
frostschutz
Linux User

See the OpeninkPot Wiki on the Story HD. It explains how to run commands on the device.

you can then start telnetd with telnetd -p SOMEPORT -l /bin/sh

then reboot, connect to wifi, then from any client telnet ip_of_the_reader (you have to figure that out) and you'll be on a root shell. it wont ask you for a password though so it is anything but secure - something to keep in mind when using public wifi
Old 04-28-2012, 04:10 AM   #24
jmseight
Zealot

Hi Frostschutz,

I did nto want to use the instructions at openinkpot because I am not sure how exact to do it.

I modified your hook_webkit and added the line:
telnetd -p 23 -l /bin/sh &

after:
httpd -h /mnt/MOVIEXT2/iriver -f -p 127.0.0.1:4219 > /dev/null 2> /dev/null &

However, after starting the browser, I cannot telnet into the SHD.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
James
Old 04-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #25
frostschutz
Linux User

Try using a port number >1000
Old 04-29-2012, 12:44 AM   #26
jmseight
Zealot

Hi Frostschutz,

Thanks for the advice.

I tried the telnetd in hook_webkit and it did not let me connect:
telnetd -p 4319 -l /bin/sh &

Also, in the del_files.sh, I added the following to try to execute my own user.sh:

ln -s /mnt/MOVIFAT/cgi-bin/user.sh /mnt/MOVIEXT2/iriver/cgi-bin/user.sh

in an attempt to be eable to execute my own user.sh. But it always gives a URL not found when I link it to the WebPortal with:

<p><a style="text-decoration: none;" href="cgi-bin/user.sh">User</a></p>

I really like your way of updating the device instead of what is on the openinkpot which seems very prone to bricking.

Would you please give me some additional advice?

Thanks,
James

Last edited by jmseight; 04-29-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #27
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmseight View Post
I really like your way of updating the device instead of what is on the openinkpot which seems very prone to bricking.
Well if you ask me, modifying my mods to run commands for you, is more likely to brick your device than the script on sd card method described in the OpenInkpot wiki. The sd card you can always take out, whereas my mods go into the internal memory of the device. I use script on sd card myself for telnet.

Not sure why it doesn't work for you.

EDIT: Ah, I think it's because telnetd isn't symlinked to busybox. Try starting it as "busybox telnetd ..." instead of just "telnetd ...".
Old 04-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #28
jmseight
Zealot

Hi Frostschutz,

Thank you for the advice. I looked on OpenInkPot and am not sure exactly where and how to put heechul.sh.

Should I put the following code:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# consider *.sh on the SD card
for f in /mnt/SDFAT/scripts/*.sh
do
    # rename the script to .done
    mv "$f" "$f".done
    sync

# run the script once
    . "$f".done 2> "$f".error > "$f".output
done
into a file called heechul.sh?

Should I just put into the root of the internal storage via USB, or via storyeb07.hex?

I don't want to mess this up and the instructions were not completely clear on openinkpot.

UPDATE: I got it to work by puttin git in the root when I plug in the USB. Thanks.

Thanks,
James

Last edited by jmseight; 04-30-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:28 AM   #29
jmseight
Zealot

Hi Frostschutz,

Thank you so much for the tip. I put a url in your webportal mod to a cgi-bin that is "ln -s" into the SD card, which executes busybox telnetd.

Now I can have on-demand telnetd, instead of something that always starts with the webportal or execute on boot via heechul.sh.

BTW, if I change the password via passwd, will telnetd still work with password?

Thanks,
James
Old 10-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #30
Rugg
Rugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toys

Device: Iriver Story HD
Lightbulb

As i wanted an easy way to handle my emails I modified the webportal to work like a basic html interface for gmail (better than nothing!). The standard interface is way too big.

I added the lines:

Code:
<p><a style="text-decoration: none;" href="https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=html">Gmail html</a></p>
<p><a style="text-decoration: none;" href="https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=mobile">Gmail mobile</a></p>

You have to login before getting the interface, so be warned if it doesn't run smootly from the start.

Rugg is offline   Reply With Quote