Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #121
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Started out pretty good towards reading things I've never read. Finishing up the second one but then found one of my favorite series in ebooks. So my next eight books will be rereads, that probably will take me through the next couple of weeks. Couldn't resist the chance to revisit the Seven Brides by Leigh Greenwood.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #122
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I haven't read anything this year as yet.

I really need to make a decision and just start reading.

One of the things I have decided this year is to not allow others to make me feel ashamed of the books I read. I read a little of everything - smut included - and this year I'm going to claim my smut!

Last edited by MrsJoseph; 01-04-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: add addtional
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #123
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Good for you. On taking a break (not so much) and reading what you like (a lot).
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #124
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post

One of the things I have decided this year is to not allow others to make me feel ashamed of the books I read. I read a little of everything - smut included - and this year I'm going to claim my smut!
Good on you! You can and should read what YOU want. I'm not about to judge, certainly.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #125
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:

You go girl! Last night I was talking with a friend, and the subject of Kindles came up. I mentioned the thread about password protecting ereaders, and she said "Aren't you worried about people seeing what you read??" First I laughed, a lot, then I said, "My Kindle cover says 'A dirty book is rarely dusty' on the front. I use Goodreads ALL THE TIME, and my Goodreads updates are posted on Facebook. I'm pretty sure that ship has already sailed."

There's a poster here who refers to romance novels as "female-type trash". (No names, because I don't actually have a beef with him, just an observation.) This bothered me initially, but after I thought about it, it made me laugh. Most men I know don't get much out of reading that sort of thing. They say men are visual creatures, so maybe that's it. But we gals (and those males who do enjoy it) have an advantage. We can get our smut fix on the bus, in line at the store, waiting at the doctor's office... So load up your ereader or phone with smut, stick it in your bag or pocket, and join the Sisterhood of the Traveling Smut.

Embrace it.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #126
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
They say men are visual creatures, so maybe that's it. But we gals (and those males who do enjoy it) have an advantage. We can get our smut fix on the bus, in line at the store, waiting at the doctor's office... So load up your ereader or phone with smut, stick it in your bag or pocket, and join the Sisterhood of the Traveling Smut.

Embrace it.
New favorite quote!

Did you see the insult that T posted in the KS Group??! Soooo funny [MOD: Snipped. Not 'family friendly']

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-05-2012 at 01:20 AM. Reason: snip of non-family friendly language
Old 01-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #127
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Quote:
There's a poster here who refers to romance novels as "female-type trash".
refer to my earlier post regarding re-reading Leigh Greenwood. Leigh is a 6 ft. tall Texan (male!) and an extremely popular romance writer.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #128
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
First one done

Well one book down towards my goal of 50 this year. On to the next! I'm thinking Napoleon's Pyramids by William Dietrich.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #129
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
New favorite quote!

Did you see the insult that T posted in the KS Group??! Soooo funny [MOD: snipped as above.]
I am so thankful that I was neither eating nor drinking when I read your quote Mrs. J.

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-05-2012 at 01:22 AM. Reason: snip of quoted material to match original snipped material.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #130
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I am so thankful that I was neither eating nor drinking when I read your quote Mrs. J.

Good for you! Cause when I first read it I was drinking coffee. Of course, I couldn't explain to my co-workers what I found so funny that I sprayed my monitor...
Old 01-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #131
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:

Good for you! Cause when I first read it I was drinking coffee. Of course, I couldn't explain to my co-workers what I found so funny that I sprayed my monitor...
I shot Coca-cola out my nose. Oh, it burns! Didn't do much for the head cold, either, but so worth it.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #132
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
New favorite quote!

Did you see the insult that T posted in the KS Group??! Soooo funny [MOD: snip, as above]
Oh my

I am so going to use that at my first opportunity. Probably not in front of the kids or my parents, though

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-05-2012 at 01:23 AM. Reason: As has been noted, the quote wasn't 'family-friendly' or 'work-safe'.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #133
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Re: smut. I remember when this came up a year ago, there was an informal agreement to use The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius as a placeholder for books that dare not speak their names. And if you seem to read and reread the Meditations? Surely it's for the inspiration and consolation they provide.

As for my own challenges, I'm finding it interesting to decide whether or not a book qualifies for my 25 Books about 25 Lands challenge. I didn't have a problem ascribing Beasts and Super-Beasts by Saki to England, even though it's by an author surely Scottish in derivation who was born in Burma. The book is entirely English, and England is hardly an issue for me anyway. But book #2, Berlin 1961, was more difficult. It was tempting to check off Germany, but I decided that since the book was really about the Cold War and thus the US and the USSR, it didn't qualify, even though nominally set in Berlin.

On other fronts, even though I can't list or quantify them, two of my challenges were to read less junk and to stop letting Overdrive control my reading. I've had some success with both. I abandoned what would have been a two-star mystery, the first in Charles Todd's newer series about a WWI nurse. I also canceled serveral holds at Overdrive. My new mantra is that if I wouldn't check it out of the physical library, I don't need it from Overdrive.

Last edited by issybird; 01-04-2012 at 05:12 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #134
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Oh my

I am so going to use that at my first opportunity. Probably not in front of the kids or my parents, though
lol! Good idea.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #135
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Re: smut. I remember when this came up a year ago, there was an informal agreement to use The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius as a placeholder for books that dare not speak their names. And if you seem to read and reread the Meditations? Surely it's for the inspiration and consolation they provide.

As for my own challenges, I'm finding it interesting to decide whether or not a book qualifies for my 25 Books about 25 Lands challenge. I didn't have a problem ascribing Beasts and Super-Beasts by Saki to England, even though it's by an author surely Scottish in derivation who was born in Burma. The book is entirely English, and England is hardly an issue for me anyway. But book #2, Berlin 1961, was more difficult. It was tempting to check off Germany, but I decided that since the book was really about the Cold War and thus the US and the USSR, it didn't qualify, even though nominally set in Berlin.

On other fronts, even though I can't list or quantify them, two of my challenges were to read less junk and to stop letting Overdrive control my reading. I've had some success with both. I abandoned what would have been a two-star mystery, the first in Charles Todd's newer series about a WWI nurse. I also canceled serveral holds at Overdrive. My new mantra is that if I wouldn't check it out of the physical library, I don't need it from Overdrive.

I think I remember that agreement!

I must say, Issy, that kicking OD into the back bedroom is a good idea. Me? I struggle to not let my impulses and wallet direct my reading. I often abandon series and/or reading plans to read a new book I just had to purchase.