Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #1
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Apple might launch a "mini" iPad to compete with the Fire

This was reported in Shelf Awareness today, with the idea that table market is changing and focusing on smaller devices. Here are the links they cited.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...i_in_2012.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20...n-kindle-fire/

http://www.fastcompany.com/1787221/s...?partner=gnews

Interesting stuff.
L.J.
[promotion edited - moderation]

Last edited by dreams; 10-14-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: [promotion edited - moderation]
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
from what ove read elsewhere the mini name is misleading because its not a smaller ipad form factor just a buget version. engadet was a lil put off they they call it the aipd mini instead of ipad lite
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Now that Steve Jobs is gone, the mischief starts.

Basic tenets are questioned, loosened, dropped.

Increased gross, reduced margins, image depreciation , disaster!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
I think the Fast Company article gets it:

Quote:
So here's what seems likely to happen. Aware that it's facing increasing competition in the core iPad market, Apple will ace it with the iPad 3 as a mid-to-premium price device. Also aware that strong sales of the Fire mean consumers do want a cheaper device that delivers good performance, Apple will keep perhaps just one size of iPad 2 on sale (perhaps the 16GB Wi-Fi edition, entirely untouched inside) and drop the price to something crazy--like $350 or perhaps $299. This will still let them make a small profit on every one, as well as incremental profits from ongoing spends in the App Store by consumers. Apple won't compete directly with the "cheap" but technologically inferior Fire, instead tempting customers to spend just a few dollars more on the "real deal" that has a bigger screen and can play games--and lets you write novels on it too, should you want to release your inner Paula Fox/Paul Auster.

That's an Apple solution. No iPad Mini. No iPad "lite." Just iPads 2 and 3.
A $299 iPad 2 would really squeeze the KF and the NC unless there is true love out there for the 7" form factor-which I for one doubt.
Another problem for the KF-if the iPad 3 is a compelling upgrade, you'll see a big market in used iPad 1s for under $300. This won't stop the KF from being a big hit- but it won't be quite the monster home run people think.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Doesn't come as much of a surprise, really. I figured they'd try and do something like that eventually, anyhow.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post

Given his behavior when he was alive, a far greater probability is that the mischief will decrease. Because one of the nastier players is gone.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I would have purchased two mini iPads for the kids and not the Kindle Fire. I've been waiting for something from Apple that is a bit smaller than the iPad and substantially less in price. There's no way I'm buying an iPad 2 for each child at the current price, and the iPad 1 is too heavy for kids. Heck, it's too heavy for me. The Kindle Fire is priced right. Each child can have one and it's a manageable size for their small hands.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I would have purchased two mini iPads for the kids and not the Kindle Fire. I've been waiting for something from Apple that is a bit smaller than the iPad and substantially less in price. There's no way I'm buying an iPad 2 for each child at the current price, and the iPad 1 is too heavy for kids. Heck, it's too heavy for me. The Kindle Fire is priced right. Each child can have one and it's a manageable size for their small hands.
You could try an iPod touch. Even smaller and at the $199 price point. Lots more games in the Ios App Store.
Regardless of which way you go, you'll be giving your kids some great gifts.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
You could try an iPod touch. Even smaller and at the $199 price point. Lots more games in the Ios App Store.
Regardless of which way you go, you'll be giving your kids some great gifts.
Thanks for the suggestion. They're currently playing on my 1st generation Touch (given to them to share). Too small. But yeah, that's why I would've preferred a mini-iPad, because of the games. Really odd that there's nothing from Apple to fill the void in the 7 inch arena. The Kindle Fire will be used as an eReader for them. Been wanting to make the transition to ebooks with them. Now I can. They loved my NOOKcolor.

Last edited by SCION; 10-14-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #10
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Really odd that there's nothing from Apple to fill the void in the 7 inch arena.
According to Steve-o , 7" is too small for a tablet:

Quote:
"Apple has done extensive user testing and we really understand this stuff...There are clear limits on how close you can place things on a touch screen, which is why we think 10 inch is the minimum screen size to create great tablet apps," Jobs said at the time.

"It's meaningless unless your tablet also includes sandpaper, so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one quarter of their present size," he added.
Apparently, either Jeff Bezos didn't get the memo , or there'll be sandpaper in the the box the KF comes with . .

I'm thinking of getting either a NC or a KF for the wife. Why did you give up your NC, if I can ask?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
"Apple has done extensive user testing and we really understand this stuff...There are clear limits on how close you can place things on a touch screen, which is why we think 10 inch is the minimum screen size to create great tablet apps," Jobs said at the time.
Nevermind the iPhone. That doesn't count. Duh.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Apparently, either Jeff Bezos didn't get the memo , or there'll be sandpaper in the the box the KF comes with . .

...Why did you give up your NC, if I can ask?
You're silly! lol

I had it for a little less than a year and was just ready to move on. I rooted it the first month of ownership, then I replaced the stock ROM about 6 months later.

Got tired of the weight. When it was released there was nothing to compare it to, so it was acceptable. Then the lighter Galaxy Tab 7 inch came on the scene. Eventually bigger and lighter tablets emerged. So, it's heavy compared to others now. I also wanted a bigger screen surprisingly and a microphone for recording notes. Settled on the Sony Tablet because it's a bit smaller than the 10 inch tablets and very comfortable to hold in portrait and landscape. The price is ridiculous, but so are many of the others.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
The price is ridiculous, but so are many of the others.
Thats one thing I have not understood. You have so many Android tablets, with the same basic specs, and they'll range from $200-500. So many have the same displays, same chipsets, etc, so I see no reason why such the large variance in price.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Quote:
Nevermind the iPhone. That doesn't count. Duh.
Which isn't a tablet.
He was making a distinction between phone apps and tablet apps.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post

Apple would do well to support flash, mSD card slots, and removable batteries.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad, kindle fire, tablets