Notices

Old 06-29-2011, 02:46 AM   #1
gandor62
Connoisseur
gandor62 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Ipad, Kindle 2
Add a book from another computer running calibre server

Hi All

Is there a way for my computer to be running Calibre with content server on and another computer in another location running calibre able to add a book to its library from the origional Calibre Server via the web.

The first Calibre server is unattended so cant email from it, but a document,pdf or ebook may get added, and I want to conect to it, to add the item to my Calibre on the remote laptop. I can get it to my mobile device without a problem, but want it on my laptop, stored in calibre library so was hoping Calibre can access another library via the Web and add the Doc.

Whew....

Hope I am clear enough.
gandor62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
No - what you describe cannot be done.

However you could simply download the book from the remote content server via a browser and then add that to your local Calibre library. Is there a problem doing this that was not mentioned in your orginal question?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandor62 View Post
Hi All

Is there a way for my computer to be running Calibre with content server on and another computer in another location running calibre able to add a book to its library from the origional Calibre Server via the web.

The first Calibre server is unattended so cant email from it, but a document,pdf or ebook may get added, and I want to conect to it, to add the item to my Calibre on the remote laptop. I can get it to my mobile device without a problem, but want it on my laptop, stored in calibre library so was hoping Calibre can access another library via the Web and add the Doc.

Whew....

Hope I am clear enough.
(Tight)VNC allows you to remote control Windows or Linux(GUI) .
Remote Desktop Connection ( running on Windows Pro versions) allows featured control from Windows or Linux.
Both solutions require opening a port on you servers router with the added care to well secure your system properly. Both solutions are free or a 1 time (windows upgrade) charge)

GotoMyPC (fee to use) and others get past the router config issue by using a connection client outside your firewall to establish the link.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote