Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-13-2007, 10:54 AM   #61
mrkai
Bit Wrangler
mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Bzzt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgian View Post
I don't understand what is all the fuss about.

It is absolutely not forbidden to put elsewhere bought content on the kindle, right?

It is perfectly legal and in accordance to the TOS to load bought content on the kindle. What is the difference if it is DRMed or not?

The power of the tool that I see is that kindle owners can now at last unDRM and backup their bought AZW files for the distant future when kindle maybe won't be around anymore.
No no kgian...this is DIFFERENT than all of the other discussions about using content from one device to the other because it is "essentially" the same thing and you "paid" for it and because of a technical bit of jiggery-pokery you can use the content on a device it isn't authorized for (check mobi's site for authorized clients and readers or Fictionwise's note on the matter) because "no one is getting hurt" with ths particular tool

Its TOTALLY DIFFERENT
mrkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:55 AM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

It is absolutely not forbidden to put elsewhere bought content on the kindle, right?

It is perfectly legal and in accordance to the TOS to load bought content on the kindle. What is the difference if it is DRMed or not?

The power of the tool that I see is that kindle owners can now at last unDRM and backup their bought AZW files for the distant future when kindle maybe won't be around anymore.
You've make a slight error in what you say. The tool does not remove the DRM. It just figures out the PID for the Kindle so you can order Mobi format ebooks and then it changes the supplier ID so it can be read on the Kindle.

Now, what I want to know is if it is that easy to do this so the mobi format ebooks can be read on the Kindle, why cannot a tool be made to change the awz ebooks so they can be read on other devices with Mobipocket?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:56 AM   #63
mrkai
Bit Wrangler
mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

By pointing out the hypocrisy and flaws...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That's because I refuse to debate the issue with you while you are being obnoxious.
...in this whole line of thinking I'm being obnoxious?

I think "smug" is probably more apropos. I'll cop to that.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:01 AM   #64
mrkai
Bit Wrangler

Seeing that you can't

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now, what I want to know is if it is that easy to do this so the mobi format ebooks can be read on the Kindle, why cannot a tool be made to change the awz ebooks so they can be read on other devices with Mobipocket?
buy books from the Kindle store without a Kindle anyway, this isn't as desirable, is it? You'd also have to get these things to accept the Kindle PID...which I belive the Mobipocket desktop software will?
Old 12-13-2007, 11:06 AM   #65
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Oh, it's possible all right. But that's a bit different since you're adding more devices to the book which is supposed to be read only on one.

P.S. mrkai, I rather enjoy your performance , but would you please stop putting part of the message into the subject line? It makes following your messages a bit harder.

Last edited by igorsk; 12-13-2007 at 11:11 AM.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:10 AM   #66
mrkai
Bit Wrangler

You sure Igor? Or by devices to do mean "not Kindles".

I'm pretty sure you can link more than one Kindle device to a purchase.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:12 AM   #67
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep, I meant "not Kindles".
Old 12-13-2007, 11:13 AM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

You've make a slight error in what you say. The tool does not remove the DRM. It just figures out the PID for the Kindle so you can order Mobi format ebooks and then it changes the supplier ID so it can be read on the Kindle.

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #69
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Because the book needs to be encoded for the PID of the MobiPocket device; that encoding is done by the download server, which in the case of Kindle books in Amazon's server.

Whereas a MobiPocket download server all you to type in the PIDs of up to 4 reading devices, and will encode the book so it can be read on any of those devices, Amazon's download server provides no mechanism for manually entering the PIDs of other devices.

Thus, one can encode a book purchased from a Mobi store so it can be read on a Kindle (with a bit of tweaking), but one cannot, and probably will never be able to, encode a Kindle book so it can be read on other MobiPocket devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:40 AM   #70
igorsk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thus, one can encode a book purchased from a Mobi store so it can be read on a Kindle (with a bit of tweaking), but one cannot, and probably will never be able to, encode a Kindle book so it can be read on other MobiPocket devices.
Actually that's very easy
Old 12-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I meant legally, igorsk; not using Andreas' dodgy tool for it!
Old 12-13-2007, 11:46 AM   #72
igorsk
Wizard

I didn't mean removing DRM altogether, I meant actually adding a second PID so that another device can read Kindle's file.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:47 AM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

How can that be done? Using legal tools, obviously!
Old 12-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #74
igorsk
Wizard

Well, you didn't mention anything about "legal" in your original question. Let me repaste it.
Quote:
Italic was the part I was replying to
So yes, with a little modification you can make a tool to add extra PIDs to a Mobi file (which AZW is) without actually decrypting the content and read it on your PC or other devices. You decide whether it's legal or not... I guess it depends also on your country of residence
Old 12-13-2007, 11:57 AM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I see .