Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 06:29 AM   #1
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Expansion of the Koboverse--how does our little reader fit in?

I recently wrote this as a comment to a post on the Kobo blog (awaiting moderation):

Quote:
So, how does the Kobo e-reader fit into the growing Koboverse? Will the only e-ink device continue to be a very basic reader aimed at folks who just want to load a book and turn pages? Is the expectation that those who want advanced features will turn to an LCD device (tablet, LCD reader, app on some other product)?

I can understand why Kobo might want to guard the details of its road map--after all, it's a competitive field--but as a person who bought my first Kobo reader on day one of its availability, I sure would like to know what you have planned for e-ink devotees.

Last edited by taming; 09-02-2010 at 07:17 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
You know, I don't really view the Kobo reader as "a very basic reader aim at folks who just want to load a book and turn pages".

It's a single purpose device that performs that single purpose extremely well. I don't have an issue with it being a single purpose device either, since it replaces up to 1000 other single purpose devices (more if I use an SD card). The fact that that single purpose simply doesn't require fancy bells and whistles, and can be delivered in a cheap device doesn't devalue it either.

It's a gizmo, so it's inevitable that it's going to be obsolete some day. For me, the thing that's going to make it obsolete is a multifunction device that's no bigger or heavier than the Kobo and doesn't cost a fortune.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didn't mean for my post to sound hostile or anything. I love, love, love my Kobo. I do though have the sense that there are folks who want more, are certainly asking for more, and that getting some answers regarding how our reader fits into the overall plan would be very nice indeed.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I think the Kobo fits in just fine. The current model will gravitate to their b&w single purpose entry level -- $99ish. Then you will be able to buy the $159 colour reader Literati. Or sync with a Samsung Android tablet. Or iPhone, Blackberry or Android phone.

Kobo is trying to get its bookstore as widely available as possible and forge the live links -- like Kindle has -- between devices of the identical content. Nook oculd do that too and are to an extent; but they are US-only bound. Sony hasn't shown much interest in pursing that at all. It kinda makes it a Kindle / Kobo race internationally (potentially anyway).

I think Kobo is making all the right moves: it's only been in market 11 weeks in the US.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
True

With the new pricing regime announced for the new Sony models, the Kobo still remains a very good option for many people seeking an ereader. This is particularly true in Australia at current.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 02:08 AM   #6
*reg*
Human
*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo, iPhone
I will be so happy when I can sync my Kobo with the Kobo App on my iPhone. They are meant to be working on that aren't they?
*reg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by *reg* View Post
I will be so happy when I can sync my Kobo with the Kobo App on my iPhone. They are meant to be working on that aren't they?
I think you're SOL on that. There's some restriction on the Bluetooth on the iPhone only being for voice, no data.

I could be wrong, though.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
*reg*
Human
*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
I think you're SOL on that. There's some restriction on the Bluetooth on the iPhone only being for voice, no data.

I could be wrong, though.
What's SOL stand for? So out of luck?
Old 09-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #9
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:

Umm - yes ? ... (think of a "ruder" word that starts with S). Apparently S can also stand for "sadly".

OT - My husband and I used to work in the same company. Before the days of email or instant messaging, he walked WAY over to my office from the other side of the building to ask me how to use a specific feature in a software program. I didn't know but pulled up the help file and showed him. I said "RTFM". He asked what that meant and I said "Read The Friendly Manual".

A couple of hours later he made the trip back from the other side of the long building and said sheepishly "F doesn't stand for Friendly, does it?"
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite

The kobobooks.com site has received a major face-lift this AM which reflects all of the options for using/downloading various devices and formats.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
*reg*
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Umm - yes ? ... (think of a "ruder" word that starts with S). Apparently S can also stand for "sadly".
Oh, got it!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #12
HamsterRage
Evangelist

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be obscure. Personally, I've never been able to figure out why it isn't "SOOL".
Old 09-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #13
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I think the 'O' stands for 'outta'....
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #14
HamsterRage
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I think the 'O' stands for 'outta'....
Probably, but that feels like cheating to me.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #15
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
Looking at the KoboLabs git repo they've got WiFi stuff in the packages dir, I'd hardly take this as definitive proof but it could mean a WiFi reader is somewhere on the road map.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote