Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
Jake_Drake
Enthusiast
Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle
Live Forever - from Smashwords

In order to promote one of my ebooks I will be offering it for free from Smashwords.com this Saturday for one hour only. I haven't decided on the exact time yet. I work nights and sleep early morning, so it depends upon exactly when I get out of bed to get it started, but it most likely will be from 1pm-2pm (Pacific time). I will come on here and post the thread when it starts.

The ebook will be: Live Forever

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/11085

Be sure to register with Smashwords.com in order to download this book. It can be downloaded to your PC as well as to any eReading device.

See you Saturday.

Jake
(Jacob M. Drake)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-01-2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Title change
Jake_Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome again, Tony Jake. What a very nice offer for your book.

Unfortunately, we are a worldwide forum and you will probably be posting this in a limited time frame that many customer members in other countries will miss.

Smashwords is a great place to publish as it has no geographic restrictions and many members in other countries appreciate being offered the opportunity to purchase books that many be unavailable to them through other stores.

I, myself, have a family obligation on Saturday day and will unfortunately miss your offer.

Thank you again for the great offer and have fun exploring our forums and interacting with the worldwide membership of readers, publishers, and authors.

Last edited by dreams; 05-27-2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: edit oops name
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Jake_Drake
Enthusiast
Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

First, I'm not Tony, I'm Jake.
Second, if this goes well then I guess I can do it again at a different time period. I work nights so when I get off work the rest of the world is awake for their day. Works for me.

So how about this...Saturday night at midnight I will make the same offer from midnight to 1am so the other half of the world can take advantage of it if they want, que?

Jake
(Jacob M. Drake)

Last edited by Jake_Drake; 05-27-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
Ed_ODell
Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Jake,

I had a similar offer, and the response was outstanding. Based on data I've been able to gather and analyze, people here are thoughtful, avid readers. I initially posted to gauge interest, thinking anyone and everyone would just snap it up. In a 36 hour span in which I put up a promotion, I had over 670 unique page views, yet only 282 sales. Knowing that people have varied likes and dislikes, I was thrilled that people took the time, read a bit, then decided to either use the coupon or decline. Shows me that these readers are looking for works that suit their tastes.

Good luck with your promotion!

Regards,

Ed O'Dell
Ed_ODell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Drake View Post
First, I'm not Tony, I'm Jake.
Second, if this goes well then I guess I can do it again at a different time period. I work nights so when I get off work the rest of the world is awake for their day. Works for me.

So how about this...Saturday night at midnight I will make the same offer from midnight to 1am so the other half of the world can take advantage of it if they want, que?

Jake
(Jacob M. Drake)
Sorry, Jake, about the name mishap. I should have reread my post before I closed out and went to work. I edited it in my post.

The addition of the generous second time offer should make it more convenient for some of our worldwide membership who miss the first time window. Thank for your consideration and good luck with your promotion.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:30 AM   #6
Jake_Drake
Enthusiast

To Ed - It was seeing your promotion that inspired me to do mine. I'm still new at this promoting myself thing. Thanks for the idea.

To Dreams - Not a problem getting me mixed up with Tony - I was only teasing you about it. I forget sometimes that we are living in a global community nowadays. Having been raised thinking of the world as what I can see around me is a tough view to shake. I'm trying...
Old 05-28-2010, 05:52 AM   #7
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Drake View Post
In order to promote one of my ebooks I will be offering it for free from Smashwords.com this Saturday for one hour only. I haven't decided on the exact time yet.
Not to rain on your parade, but I think it's a stupid idea. I might be interested in your book (which is what this all about, right?) and download it to take a look, but I won't be watching some site to see whether you've flicked the switch yet. Make it a full day, or a few hours at the very least (and preferably not on the weekend), and announce the window well in advance. Just my €0.02.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #8
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but I think it's a stupid idea. I might be interested in your book (which is what this all about, right?) and download it to take a look, but I won't be watching some site to see whether you've flicked the switch yet. Make it a full day, or a few hours at the very least (and preferably not on the weekend), and announce the window well in advance. Just my €0.02.
I have to agree - maybe some people will go have a look, but these 1 hour STUNTS irk me, to the point that I will not go look at any of the authors work at all, money or no money.

A one day free, weekend free, coupon discount, or something along these lines, might intice me to have a look even after the promo is over, and even possibly purchase that book and/or others from the author. Even a couple of good reviews are more likely to get me to have a look, but one hour!? PLEASE, that's like cutting me off on the road, just to get my attention. I'm too polite, but for most people the only reaction your likely to get, is the finger.

And, no I won't go look at Ed Odell's books either, for the same reason.

Last edited by Orochi; 05-28-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #9
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
I'm not sure about this one hour promotion.

I will admit, it got my attention enough to open the thread to see why in the world an ebook on this forum would be available for one hour only. Perhaps the novelty of the promotion will generate enough interest that it will turn out to be a good idea.

On the other hand, this is setting the stage for potential abuse as well. I am worried that this forum will be absolutely bombarded by new one hour promotion announcements over and over. In essence, it can give the spammers that make no other contribution to this site unlimited license to proclaim their book is suddenly available for a special price.
jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #10
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
It is an interesting concept but that is an awful lot of hoops for me to jump through in order to sample the work of an author I've never heard of before this morning and will probably forget about by the end of the day. Honestly if I happen to be around the internet Saturday and I happen to see you post about your promotion I might be motivated to go take a look. But to put it bluntly I'm not going to rearrange my holiday weekend for it.

I mean, if nothing else at least decide for sure upon the time you'll be offering the book before you decide to come here and tell us about it. KWIM?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
I agree that having a 1-hour offering is irksome.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:33 AM   #12
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I'm not marketing genius, but shouldn't it be a better plan to make your book easy for potential readers to access instead of really hard?

Quoting THHGttG:

"But Mr Dent, the plans have been available in the local planning office for the last nine months."

"Oh yes, well as soon as I heard I went straight round to see them, yesterday afternoon. You hadn't exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them, had you? I mean, like actually telling anybody or anything."

"But the plans were on display ..."

"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."

"That's the display department."

"With a flashlight."

"Ah, well the lights had probably gone."

"So had the stairs."

"But look, you found the notice didn't you?"

"Yes," said Arthur, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'."
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:49 AM   #13
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
Whether you agree with the way an author decided to promote his/her book, or do not agree, it is their choice in how they promote the book.

If you vehemently disagree with their promotion and feel the un-resistible urge to express these feelings; why not try a little constructive criticism? You know, the whole "more flies with honey" idea. Two folks did an excellent job of this and another did a decent job of concise, but un-offensive. The other replies are a sure fire way to dissuade authors from having promotions for their books, or at the very least, from announcing them here at Mobileread for fear of being flame sprayed because one or more people do not like the promotion.

A little tact goes a long way people.

@ Jake, while a I personally appreciate any promotion that allows me to read something by an author new to me, I do feel that Jinlo has a concern that I share.

Logging into the forum and seeing several one-hour only promos could possibly put people off as they may feel that having to watch the forums constantly for book promotions could be a bit bothersome. Most authors allow a promotion to run for at least one entire day, but maybe a twelve or even six-hour promotion would be easier on potential readers and reviewers.

Either way, thanks for the book promotion. I hope I get a chance to snag it (and write a review).
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:31 AM   #14
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by thafrogggg View Post
Whether you agree with the way an author decided to promote his/her book, or do not agree, it is their choice in how they promote the book.
Oh, sure, but this being a discussion forum readers are welcome to voice their opinions, too. That's how I understood it, anyway.

Quote:
The other replies are a sure fire way to dissuade authors from having promotions for their books, or at the very least, from announcing them here at Mobileread for fear of being flame sprayed because one or more people do not like the promotion.
I didn't know (and generally don't think, actually) that writers were such a thin-skinned bunch...

Quote:
A little tact goes a long way people.
I have yet to see anything tactless in this thread. YMMV.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:46 AM   #15
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
I agree with your first point although I do not see how my quoted text insinuates that no one should express his or her opinion.

Neither do I think authors are thin-skinned. If they were, critics would be an endangered species due to retribution.

I also agree with "YMMV"
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote