Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 02-11-2010, 04:50 AM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Brief explanation how to create good Thai PDF for 6" screen

Different ebook readers render Thai ebook differently. Some are capable of displaying Thai very well on ePUB format; some are not, e.g. my Nook (firmware 1.2).

The only ebook format that we can control and render proper Thai text across several ereader devices is PDF. Followings are what I see best suited to my need in reading Thai ebooks on my Nook, and perhaps on other 6" devices too, Kindle included.

What we need, on PC (not Mac):

1. Microsoft Word or OpenOffice
2. freeware Cutepdf (need for MS Word only)
3. freeware BecyPDFMetaEdit (for editing meta data, e.g. Book title, author, etc.)

Steps in creating Thai PDF ebook:

1. either use MS Word to create/format your document and print to Cutepdf; or use OpenOffice and its builtin function "Export as PDF".

2. edit the meta data of the output PDF by BeCyPDFMetaEdit, by at least putting the proper book title and author. There are other metadata that you may want to edit; but those are not important like title and author. Use English title and author to ensure readability by all ebook readers. Most ebook readers now cannot show Thai title and author in the catalogue (or book list) properly.

When using either MS Word or Open Office, I prefer the following setting:

Page size 9.5 x 11.4cm (you should stick to this size)

Margin 0.1cm for Left, Right, and Top; set 0 cm for Bottom

Line spacing 0.45cm (in OpenOffice) or 13 points (for MS Word). If we use default line spacing, one pdf page will accommodate fewer lines; so I prefer a bit "crowded" to show more lines in one page. This is your choice.

Font FreesiaUPC 12pt (if too small for you, increase it or bold it. This font shows all vowels clearly when compared with others. It is also your choice.

The above setting gives me comfortable reading without the need to "reflow" Thai text on my Nook. Reflowing Thai text on PDF document gives unpredictable and mostly undesirable result.

If you don't need any hyperlinks or chapters links inside your output PDF, both MS Word and OpenOffice are doing fine.

But if you want hyperlinks and chapter marks to work in your output PDF (can jump to the chapter you want when reading, for example), you need OpenOffice when creating your PDF.

If you are not familiar with OpenOffice, you may create and edit your document with MS Word first; then open the document with OpenOffice just for exporting it to PDF.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Plaew SiNgern - 3 Articles_045_linespace.pdf (74.1 KB, 371 views)

Last edited by bthoven; 02-11-2010 at 05:22 AM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote