Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-14-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
stevenharper
Connoisseur
stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
The Silent Empire series

They're available! My Silent Empire books are now up and running in PDF, EPUB, MOBI, .prc, .lit, and .lrf formats. No DRM. Each book is $1.79, a great price!

You can find them in all formats here: http://www.bookviewcafe.com/index.ph...Piziks-Novels/

The books are Dreamer, Nightmare, Trickster, and Offspring, and were originally published by Penguin/Roc. The back cover for Dreamer reads:

It is through first contact with an alien species that humanity learns of the Dream. It is a plane of mental existence where people are able to communicate by their thoughts alone--over distances of thousands of light-years. To ensure that future generations will have this ability, human genetic engineering produces newborns capable of finding and navigating the Dream.

They become known as the Silent.

Rust is just one planet among many in the Empire of Human Unity. It's nothing special, nothing unusual...except for the fact that it is home to an unknown boy who may be the most powerful Silent telepath ever born--a Silent with the ability to possess the bodies of others against their will. This mysterious child may be causing tremors within the Dream itself.

For now, only the Children of Irfan know about him. A monastic-like order of the Silent, the Children protect their members even as they barter their services with the governments and corporations that control known space. But power like that cannot be hidden, and soon every Silent in the universe will know about the boy--and every government will be willing to go to war to control him.

And if the Children of Irfan cannot find him first, the Dream itself may be shattered...

Go check them out!

--Steven Harper Piziks

stevenharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Been waiting for these since you first posted you were converting them. Thanks for the link, but I have to admit, that site's a pain in the patoot to use! I wanted to get all four books - and I had to "subscribe" them each one individually, going through the PayPal login four times.

And I still haven't found a search function.

I doubt very much I'll be back to visit that site again.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And by the way, your description says Dreamer is the first book and Trickster is the second, but the numbering on the files to download is switched. Books three and four seem to be numbered correctly.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:16 AM   #4
stevenharper
Connoisseur
stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the web site. We're always trying to improve it, and I'll forward your comments to our programmer. We =are= working on a search function, and we're one day hoping to have a shopping cart.

(Book View calls it a "subscription," by the way, because once you pay for a book, you have access to it in multiple formats, so it's more like a subscription than buying a single book.)

I'm not sure what you meant by the numbering problem. Dreamer is indeed the first book, but Nightmare is the second. I can't find anywhere that I said Trickster was second. Let me know if you find it so I can correct that!

On the Book View Cafe site where you can buy the books, Nightmare is listed at the top of the page because you can read it on-screen chapter by chapter, and the site wanted that feature more visible. And although I wrote it second, Nightmare takes place 15 years before Dreamer. (Long story involving me, my editor, and a fifth unpublished Silent Empire book.)

--Steven Harper Piziks
Old 11-15-2009, 02:00 AM   #5
FizzyWater

I'm sorry, I mistyped. I meant Nightmare, not Trickster. But the filename for Dreamer says SilentEmpire2, and Nightmare says SilentEmpire1. I changed the metadata in Calibre (I always prefer to read in published order unless the author specifically suggests otherwise!), but I thought if it was important to you, you might want to know.

Thanks for your comments about the Book View Cafe site. I hope you can make it a little easier to navigate and use without already having direct links.

I'm looking forward to finally reading these! They've been on my print TBR pile for awhile now, but since I got my first eBook reader, I'm less and less willing to read paper books anymore. Now they'll go on the Sony, and the next time I'm ready for SF, they'll be there!
Advert
Old 11-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
stevenharper
Connoisseur

Oh! I see. That's probably from our site mistress, who uploaded the files. I'll let her know it confuses some people. Thanks!

I'm with you on the ebook reader. When I want a new book, I look for it in e-format first, and I'm finding myself reluctant to buy print books. I'm kind of surprised at myself.

--Steven Harper Piziks
Old 11-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #7
stevenharper
Connoisseur

Now it's looking like I might be dealing with Smashwords. Keep your fingers crossed for me, everyone!
Old 11-19-2009, 02:09 AM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenharper View Post
Now it's looking like I might be dealing with Smashwords. Keep your fingers crossed for me, everyone!
Definitely....
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:01 PM   #9
stevenharper
Connoisseur

All day Monday, 11/30, chapter 3 of NIGHTMARE will be available for free at http://www.bookviewcafe.com . Chapters one and two are also there.

Tags
action, novels, science fiction