Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #46
EliNoah
Enthusiast
EliNoah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader Pocket Edition
Update: We can't say with 100 percent assurance, but a reliable source of ours claims that Barnes & Noble will be partnering with Best Buy for sales of the device, and units will actually be available this Thursday.

------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is true because I was in BB looking at sony readers and the tech guy said that they were getting two of the B&N readers in the next week, but they were already purchased and held for others...I was surprised and said I didn't think they were going to be out that soon and he checked the computer and told me they were coming in and that there were holds already placed.
EliNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #47
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliNoah View Post
Update: We can't say with 100 percent assurance, but a reliable source of ours claims that Barnes & Noble will be partnering with Best Buy for sales of the device, and units will actually be available this Thursday.

------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is true because I was in BB looking at sony readers and the tech guy said that they were getting two of the B&N readers in the next week, but they were already purchased and held for others...I was surprised and said I didn't think they were going to be out that soon and he checked the computer and told me they were coming in and that there were holds already placed.
How would somebody place a hold for a device that wasn't even officially announced? Do you think they were best buy employees?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #48
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Is it worth it? I've mostly been able to find what I wanted to buy somewhere that shipped to me - and often from inside EU. Getting things from outside EU, I also have to pay duty and taxes and *fees*. When I add all that up, it's starts to get prohibitively expensive - and then I assume this company wants a fee on top of it - but they don't state at all how much...
It is frequently worth it, yes.

The dollar is pretty cheap againts the euro (€ 1 equalls 1,5 dollars!), and you get some fantastic prices in some online american stores. In many (most!) cases it is still much cheaper to buy in the States - even after all the fees and taxes!

Regards

Last edited by nelsonescorcio; 10-20-2009 at 08:35 AM.
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #49
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonescorcio View Post
It it frequently worth it, yes.

The dollar is pretty cheap againts the euro (€ 1 equalls 1,5 dollars), and you get some fantastic prices in some online american stores. In many (most!) cases it is still much cheaper to buy in the States, even after the fees and taxes.

Regards
Perhaps it's cehaper in Portugal - our postal service here charges me 125 DKK (16.8 EUR) per shipment for handling duty and VAT. If you only want to buy a couple of ipod cases, that adds quite a lot
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #50
nelsonescorcio
Zealot

Quote:
Perhaps it's cehaper in Portugal - our postal service here charges me 125 DKK (16.8 EUR) per shipment for handling duty and VAT. If you only want to buy a couple of ipod cases, that adds quite a lot
Yeah - I should have clarified that it is only worth it with relatively hight value goods: maybe $80/ $100 minimum.
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #51
Euroboy
Connoisseur
Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle2 Intl.
I just reg the device at amazon and d/l the books to my mac. The drag and drop to kindle. I am led to believe that it will work. An international kindle dx would be great, but it is not there ATM.
Euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #52
EliNoah
Enthusiast
EliNoah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader Pocket Edition
I think they must have been BB employee's. The GEEK guy said they were both already "not available". But I saw them on the computer screen (just the listing). So I figured they must have gone to employees. When I asked he just said those were the only two coming in at the moment.

I didn't worry about it because everything I had read said not until spring.

He could not tell me the price though...I should have been paying more attention, but I was too busy compairing his kindle and the sony reader! LOL

Last edited by EliNoah; 10-20-2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: clarification
EliNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #53
Euroboy
Connoisseur
Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle2 Intl.
Quote:

Here you often get lucky and it will go right through without any vat or taxes. Needs to be gift-wrapped though..
Euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #54
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonescorcio View Post
It is frequently worth it, yes.

The dollar is pretty cheap againts the euro (€ 1 equalls 1,5 dollars!), and you get some fantastic prices in some online american stores. In many (most!) cases it is still much cheaper to buy in the States - even after all the fees and taxes!

Regards
When we had $2 to the £1 it was worth buying quite a number of things, but for a lot of items now when you add in VAT, importy duty and clearance fees plus the extra delivery costs and loss of warrenty + no easy return the little bit you save doesn't make it worth while imo. Clearance fees have been anything from £0 when it went through customs without a hitch to between £8 and £25 depending on the delivery company used

Hopefully they'll partner with a store in the EU and release here though. I'm quite happy with my Halin+OI currently, but as prices drop I wouldn't mind buying one or two readers as presents, especially so with the option to lend books, depending how that works. Most of our reading is totally different genres and authors but there's a small enough overlap to make lending attractive and it's a nice way to get introduced to new authors. Really interested in seeing how they're going to make that work.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #55
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Does anyone know what time Barnes & Noble are supposed to officially announce this device?
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #56
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
Where is it?!?!?!!?! I'm getting antsy!!
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #57
nelsonescorcio
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Does anyone know what time Barnes & Noble are supposed to officially announce this device?
4 p.m. - New York time - or 9 p.m. Lisbon/London time.

Last edited by nelsonescorcio; 10-20-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #58
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy_dunlop View Post
No file formats have been mentioned yet. A rep from B&N recently said "We believe readers should have access to books in their digital library from any device, anywhere and anytime," which makes me hopeful they will support a variety of formats.
this only means to me that their software will run on many platforms. It actually already does. the eReader (or whatever they call it now) works on PC, Palms, iPhone and other devices too. I think the Jetbook (Lite) and also the Astak Pocket Pro will/do support this DRM format too.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 10-20-2009 at 10:34 AM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #59
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post

Someone said 4 pm Eastern time
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #60
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
this only means to me that their software will run on many platforms. It actually already does. the eReader (or whatever they call it now) works on PC, Palms, iPhone and other devices too. I think the Jetbook (Lite) and also the Astak Pocket Pro will/do support this DRM format too.

BOb
yeah that's what they call their "multiformat" version which really isn't
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote