Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
International Kindle - it shipped!

Got the email 30 min. ago -- my international Kindle 2 is on its way

Hopefully here by Wednesday...
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Hope you like it
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Mine's shipped too. I'd be happier if there was some way to buy books from the UK store without paying the $1.99+VAT wireless download fee.

I wouldn't mind paying the fee if I did download wirelessly, but mostly I won't get ebooks that way, so paying extra for every book seems unfair.

I have sent a note to Amazon Custoemr Service suggesting they add the option, but I doubt they will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Got the email 30 min. ago -- my international Kindle 2 is on its way

Hopefully here by Wednesday...
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Mine's shipped too. I'd be happier if there was some way to buy books from the UK store without paying the $1.99+VAT wireless download fee.

I wouldn't mind paying the fee if I did download wirelessly, but mostly I won't get ebooks that way, so paying extra for every book seems unfair.

I have sent a note to Amazon Custoemr Service suggesting they add the option, but I doubt they will.
Well... the 1.99 USD fee only applies to USA customers downloading when out of the country. Of course prices for customers living outside US does seem higher by about the same amount but it's still not the same thing - have anyone proven it's a one to one?

About VAT, do you have information that Amazon is collecting VAT for the Kindle books they sell? I know that amazon.co.uk collect VAT for the individual European countries, because Amazon sells such a large volume that they have to - but does Amazon.com?

I have not seen anything that indicates that Amazon is collecting VAT for individual countries for Kindle books, but I would interested if they did (as VAT in Denmark is 25% - I'd want to look elsewhere )
Old 10-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Congratulations! I got my "domestic" Kindle2 on Saturday and love it! (still don't care for Amazon's propitiatory approach but they do offer some books I can't get elsewhere and often at better prices....... I will still hope for the day they will embrace the epub format...

Enjoy!! Will look forward to your review once you receive it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Enjoy!! Will look forward to your review once you receive it.
Thank you! I will certainly review it. I am especially interested in how the dictionary functionality works out.

I'm not worried about my books. I de-DRM everything as soon as I buy it, so I can use it for whatever I want. This is a good case in point - if I hadn't done so, the Kindle would not have been half as possibly useful as it may be.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you! I will certainly review it. I am especially interested in how the dictionary functionality works out.

I'm not worried about my books. I de-DRM everything as soon as I buy it, so I can use it for whatever I want. This is a good case in point - if I hadn't done so, the Kindle would not have been half as possibly useful as it may be.
Exactly.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Whoo Hoo! Congratulations all!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
They seem to actually be charging non-US customers an extra $2 per book.

When the books that are free in the US store cost $2.30 in the UK store, and UK VAT runs at 15% at the moment, it seems pretty certain that's what they're doing. ($2.00*1.15 = $2.30 )

And apart from the free books, let's look at the top ten(non-'free') bestsellers.

Extra(ex VAT) Title UK/UK ex-VAT/USA prices
$2.00 Arguing with Idiots. $13.79/$11.99/$9.99
($0.22) The Help $11.24/$9.77/$9.99
$2.00 The Mark $8.92/$7.76/$5.76
$1.66 The Shack $12.25/$10.65/$8.99
($4.40) The Girl wit the Dragon Tattoo $4.13/$3.59/$7.99
$2.00 Glen Beck's Common Sense $10.57/$9.19/$7.19
$2.00 The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society $11.96/$10.40/$8.40
$2.00 Culture of Corruption $13.79/$11.99/$9.99
($4.65) Eclipse $3.61/$3.14/$7.79
$2.00 Outliers $13.79/$11.99/$9.99

Six out of ten have a UK ex-VAT price that is exactly $2 more than the US title.

Only one costs more, but not $2 more. The remaining three are cheaper in the UK than in the US - some special deal from the publishers? Or just Amazon's weird discounting?

Oddly enough, having just checked in the European store, prices there match the UK store but are ex-VAT. I can't imagine how they're going to do that. Perhaps they'll add on the VAT at checkout, because it'll be different for each EU country.

Quote:
Well... the 1.99 USD fee only applies to USA customers downloading when out of the country. Of course prices for customers living outside US does seem higher by about the same amount but it's still not the same thing - have anyone proven it's a one to one?

About VAT, do you have information that Amazon is collecting VAT for the Kindle books they sell? I know that amazon.co.uk collect VAT for the individual European countries, because Amazon sells such a large volume that they have to - but does Amazon.com?

I have not seen anything that indicates that Amazon is collecting VAT for individual countries for Kindle books, but I would interested if they did (as VAT in Denmark is 25% - I'd want to look elsewhere )
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Six out of ten have a UK ex-VAT price that is exactly $2 more than the US title.

Only one costs more, but not $2 more. The remaining three are cheaper in the UK than in the US - some special deal from the publishers? Or just Amazon's weird discounting?

Oddly enough, having just checked in the European store, prices there match the UK store but are ex-VAT. I can't imagine how they're going to do that. Perhaps they'll add on the VAT at checkout, because it'll be different for each EU country.
As far as I can see, they don't add, for example, Danish VAT to the price - but I will be looking out for it. Amazon UK collects Danish VAT on anything I buy from them, so I am aware of the issue.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:12 PM   #11
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Mine has shipped as well, should be here around the middle of the week.

I just hope I don't miss the UPS delivery van because of being at work or some silliness like that...

What I'm trying to find out right now is whether I can just "pretend" to be in the US so that I can actually get all the books I want since everything I have tried so far is not available for my region...
I can change my location in "My Kindle" but it asks me for a full address and I would have to make one up...stupid geo-restrictions....
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
Mine has shipped as well, should be here around the middle of the week.

I just hope I don't miss the UPS delivery van because of being at work or some silliness like that...
I thought that's what sick-days were for.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #13
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Not in my job...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #14
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
You are located in Iceland? I have a friend in Australia, I'll check if his has shipped. He's been pretty excited over the last week!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
I can change my location in "My Kindle" but it asks me for a full address and I would have to make one up...stupid geo-restrictions....
I'd be curious to know if the same "register your Kindle to a separate U.S. account" might come into play (the same work-around non-U.S. users have been employing this whole time).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote