Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 05:09 PM   #226
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
And a couple more nice reviews have popped up for Boomerang over at Amazon UK.

A good, involving, humerous read, 12 Feb 2011
By bookie (Essex, England) - See all my reviewsThis review is from: Boomerang (Kindle Edition)
Finally, a cheap kindle book that is well written, I was beginning to think the cheap books a ruse to make you buy kindles only to find the cheap stuff was rubbish and you had to buy the full price ones.
This book put my doubts to rest, the characters are well drawn and the plot although slightly off-beat works well. A good, humerous and involving read. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 28 Jan 2011
By NeilCu - See all my reviewsThis review is from: Boomerang (Kindle Edition)
Boomerang is an excellent read, and very, very funny in parts. It was the first book to make me laugh out loud in a long time. If you like a plot with quirky characters I would highly recommend Boomerang. I hope there is a sequel on the way!!! Help other customers find the most helpful reviews

Over 1300 sold in the UK since November. Please have a look at Boomerang!

http://www.amazon.com/Boomerang-eboo...0&sr=8-2-spell
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #227
bertcarson
bertcarson began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Five pages and I'm hooked - Great writing
bertcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #228
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Bert! I hope it continues to entertain.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #229
plumboz
Novelist

The latest reader review from Amazon UK.

A Cracking Good Read, 24 Feb 2011
By
BJDee - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boomerang (Kindle Edition)
As a new Kindle reader I was scouring the humor section for something to read. At 70p I thought "might as well give this a try"
I am so glad I did.It is well written & had me laughing at the ensuing chaotic antics of the various chasers of the boomerang, & the misfortunes of the assassin. As others have said if it would make an hilairious film. Get this book at this price you really can't go wrong.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #230
plumboz
Novelist

What UK Readers Have to Say About Boomerang

Here is what readers have been saying (well, tapping into their keyboards anyway) about Boomerang.

"well written & had me laughing"

"Finally, a cheap kindle book that is well written"

"If you like a plot with quirky characters I would highly recommend Boomerang. I hope there is a sequel on the way!!!"

"Fast-paced, original, and well-written; 'Boomerang' ticks all the boxes. And at the price, it's a steal."

"I really enjoyed this book. It felt like a ben elton one- only better written "

"A bit hit and miss this one." Wait a sec, how did that get in here? Ah well, truth in advertising you know. One three star review out of nineteen fours and fives isn't so bad!

Back to the good stuff!

"...fast paced with excellent characterisation and humour. The story moves through action rather than narrative with characters developing through dialogue and interaction. It is a very visual book and a story that would make an excellent comic film."

"...a twisty tounge in cheek spy thriller mixed in with a bit of "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World". I would say the writing style is more like the early Ben Elton novels than Douglas Adams. Highly recommended (& well formatted for the Kindle).

Thanks,
Alan
Old 03-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #231
plumboz
Novelist

Perceptive review

Here's the latest review from a UK reader.

It keeps on coming back to me...., 15 Mar 2011
By
Gingerlily (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This was a great book and full of fun. It took a little while to gel for me, but once it did I was hooked. At first it seemed to be very bitty - it skipped from one set of characters to the next without letting me get them sorted in my head. Once I had them all straight, and the threads started to come together, I realised just how well it was done.

There were so many brilliant characters and memorable scenes, as I said in my title, they keep on coming back. I think that the slapstick humour at first masks the quality of the writing. When I tried to come up with a couple of quotes that stood out, it wasn't the funny stuff, but the more quiet and reflective bits that came to mind.

I thought the ending was lovely, and unexpectedly moving. It made the characters feel more real and not just figures of fun. I do hope there will be more books about them all.

So honestly, the multiple character approach is one that some readers do not care for and others find works very well. It was a conscious decision on my part to do the book that way and it's great to hear from readers who connect with the story and characters.

Last edited by plumboz; 03-22-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #232
plumboz
Novelist

April Ad for Boomerang

Here is part of a review Boomerang recently received from a reader in Scotland in his blog The No-Hoper.

Finding indie books worth reviewing isn't easy. I tried a few that had attracted favourable comments, and decided that they just weren't as good as people thought.

And then I found Boomerang. Oh yes. If you can afford what is known in my neck of the woods as seventy pence, but which goes by different names elsewhere, you could do many worse things with it. But not many better.

Boomerang is a comedy thriller, with a nice balance between the elements: the thrills are in the action, the comedy in the telling. The premise is simple. There exists somewhere in the world a hollow boomerang which contains some super-sensitive information dating back to the time of FBI chief J. Edgar Hoover. A lot of people are very anxious to get hold of it.

Other readers have compared it to the work of authors as varied as Douglas Adams, Dave Barry, Carl Hiassen and Donald E. Westlake. It is to make a fellow blush. In the past five months it has sold over two thousand copies in the UK, interesting considering none of the action takes place there and I live in Arizona. But two thousand Brits must know something, right?

See you next month.

Thanks,
Alan
Old 04-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #233
plumboz
Novelist

Still just $0.99 (or 70p in the UK).

Readers have said Boomerang reminds them of the writing of Douglas Adams, Dave Barry, Carl Hiassen, even Evelyn Waugh, as well as the movies by the Coen brothers. Geez whiz, talk about a cult classic in the making, eh?

Well, I'll leave that up to you. But I would dearly love for you to check out Boomerang. I guarantee it is unlike any book you have read before and yet it just might remind you of a favorite author or two, just like it has so many of its readers already.

Thanks!
Alan
Old 05-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #234
plumboz
Novelist

And yet another very nice review from a UK reader.

A thriller and a farce.. brilliant!, 29 April 2011
By
wicce_k "wicce_k" (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I read this book due to the author giving a glimpse of his book on a kindle forum. The book was cheap so I decided to download it, and then promptly forgot about it until a few months later!

I will admit that I found the book hard to get into at first. The scenes chop very quickly from place to place, all these random little threads of the tale, which at first felt very disjointed and hard to follow. I was going to put the book down, but thankfully I persevered and I am very happy I did!

Once I got into it, the story is a very fast paced yet very funny book. It turns a thriller into a farce and back into a thriller again! And because it was so funny and interesting, it was (for me) a very quick read!

I also loved the authors use of language in the descriptions, some fabulous words that really describe a scene in a way that Jane Austen could never do!

Would highly recommend to all people with a healthy sense of humour!
Old 05-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #235
plumboz
Novelist

Boomerang has a great new cover! Please have a look at what artist extraordinaire Laura Lakey has designed. She did an amazing job.

Last edited by plumboz; 05-10-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:13 AM   #236
plumboz
Novelist

Boomerang named "Captivating Read"

"Pixels of Ink", a Facebook group with over 21,000 members, has named Boomerang one of their "Captivating Reads" on an Amazon list. In there with some pretty heavy hitters, like Memoirs of a Geisha, The Help, The Pillars of the Earth and even Harpo Speaks!

Captivating Reads

Still just $0.99 and hoping to captivate you!
Old 05-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #237
plumboz
Novelist

Latest review at Amazon UK says Boomerang is "a wonderfully exuberant chase caper, a cleverly executed laugh out loud gem"

Boomerang at Amazon UK
Old 05-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #238
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
That new cover is certainly fetching! Congratulations!
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:31 AM   #239
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
I like the new cover Alan, here's to more sales and the... sequel?
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:43 AM   #240
plumboz
Novelist

Thank you, ASparrow and Billjr,

The cover and nice recognition have certainly been highlights lately. Of course more sales are always welcome . We'll see how that goes. Meantime, still working on latest project, which is quite different. Followup to Boomerang will happen if that one shows it has a readership. Plot sketched out and decisions made on returning characters.

Best,
Alan

Tags
amazon, barnes and noble, boomerang, comic novel, smashwords