Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #136
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Huh?

It's quite clear! I've said this several times now: RS use a hash filter which disallows the re-posting of files taken down for copyright violations. The judge's order is to preemitively add a bunch of signatures to said filter.
You assume that a hash filter is an effective method, which is it not. Adding a bunch of signatures to said filter is not going to prevent the sharing of that content. It's a waste of time, but makes the judge feel like they did something useful.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #137
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Both of which can be legitimate businesses, and not fronts for prostitution.

While some no doubt are fronts, claiming all are is equivalent to claiming that everything hosted by RapidShare is pirated commercial content of some sort. In short, not true.

???

They're not claiming all. You have it the other way around. One poster was claiming that the Yellow Pages only contains legitimate businesses. The poster you're quoting was pointing out examples of some that are not.

The point is that the Yellow Pages is not responsible for policing the legitimacy of the businesses they list. Neither is RapidShare.
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #138
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Oh, I agree it won't be effective. But hey, I suspect the publishers and mabe the Judge are the only people involved who think it will be.
Yes. That was the point.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #139
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Huh?

It's quite clear! I've said this several times now: RS use a hash filter which disallows the re-posting of files taken down for copyright violations. The judge's order is to preemptively add a bunch of signatures to said filter.
That would be easily circumvented. Most files on rapidshare are in a zip or rar archive. Repack the archive and it now has a new hash. Also, it would arguably remove their safe harbor status, since a selection would be made by the service provider (in this case rapid share) of what is or is not allowed. In order for safe harbor to happen, it has to be fully automatic on the part of the service provider. Maintaining a hash blacklist would not be fully automatic, only using it would be.

(BTW, fixed spelling error)
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #140
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Good god. Is this still going on? I bet I can go back 5 pages and see the same arguments being made over and over again. What exactly is the point of this?
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 11:43 AM   #141
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
The point is people are stubborn?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #142
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
You assume that a hash filter is an effective method, which is it not. Adding a bunch of signatures to said filter is not going to prevent the sharing of that content. It's a waste of time, but makes the judge feel like they did something useful.
Um, no? I've never said it'd be effective. In fact, I've said the opposite. But it's quite clear what each side wanted, from what I can see.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #143
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
What exactly is the point of this?
I believe it's called a discussion. Participation is not mandatory.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #144
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I believe it's called a discussion. Participation is not mandatory.
I believe I pre-empted that response by pointing out that repetition is not the most interesting type of discussion.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #145
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
I believe I pre-empted that response by pointing out that repetition is not the most interesting type of discussion.
I missed the part where your interest in the type of discussion was required.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #146
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Um, no? I've never said it'd be effective. In fact, I've said the opposite. But it's quite clear what each side wanted, from what I can see.
You are correct. I apologize.

It would be more accurate to say "They assume that a hash filter is an effective method..." meaning the judges and companies bringing the suit.

I think we're all in agreement that it's a waste of time.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #147
raiderkilo
Connoisseur
raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: PRS-350 "PRS+"
Another lingual books no possible otherwise obtain
raiderkilo is offline   Reply With Quote