Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
SecondoMe
SecondoMe is on a distinguished road

Device: iLiad, DR1000, Cybook, BeBook
DR1000 Adobe ePub Support

On the iRex official blog, Karel has just announced the commitment for iRex to give DR1000S Adobe PDF and ePub support by quarter 4 of this year.

I think this is a good news, even if they previuosly announced the firmware would have been made available in Q2

Source: http://i-to-i.irexnet.com/2009/08/26...ort-coming-q4/
SecondoMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Good news that they've decided to go down the "dual firmware versions" road, like Bookeen, so the customer has the choice of ePub or Mobi support.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Good news that they've decided to go down the "dual firmware versions" road, like Bookeen, so the customer has the choice of ePub or Mobi support.
Agreed. I was glad to see that as well. One question I still have though is that if you opt for Adobe DRM, does that mean you can still read non-DRM Mobipocket content, or does it get rid of Mobipocket support completely.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Quote:

"we have devided to keep the old firmware with Mobipocket DRM available"

Does it mean that there will not be any new version of firmware with mobipocket support?

Last edited by myprecious; 08-26-2009 at 01:05 PM.
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Agreed. I was glad to see that as well. One question I still have though is that if you opt for Adobe DRM, does that mean you can still read non-DRM Mobipocket content, or does it get rid of Mobipocket support completely.
I would guess that it removes it entirely, given that they are currently using the "official" Mobi Reader. The other devices which retain non-DRM Mobi do so using FBReader, which of course one can install on the DR1000, although it has to be said that its Mobi support is pretty poor, and we're going to lose Mobi dictionary lookup, which will be a pity.
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I would guess that it removes it entirely, given that they are currently using the "official" Mobi Reader.
The reader was written by iRex. It uses a java library from Mobipocket, but the implementation of the Mobipocket API calls is done by iRex's developers. I don't know specifics about the library features, but it should be possible for iRex to disable DRM support themselves.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by myprecious View Post
"we have devided to keep the old firmware with Mobipocket DRM available"

Does it mean that there will not be any new version of firmware with mobipocket support?
That's a good question too.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
I'm quite surprised Adobe and Mobipocket are allowed to demand this ridiculous exclusiveness. Isn't this just like the "but then don't sell AMD stuff please" that got Intel in trouble?
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaihir View Post
I'm quite surprised Adobe and Mobipocket are allowed to demand this ridiculous exclusiveness. Isn't this just like the "but then don't sell AMD stuff please" that got Intel in trouble?
As far as I know it's only Mobipocket that demands it. Yes, it is ridiculous.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:19 AM   #10
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Q4 means December, 31st . / ? / !
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:22 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
The reader was written by iRex. It uses a java library from Mobipocket, but the implementation of the Mobipocket API calls is done by iRex's developers. I don't know specifics about the library features, but it should be possible for iRex to disable DRM support themselves.
Oh yes, I'm sure there's not a technical problem in doing so. I seriously doubt, however, that the terms of the Mobipocket licence would permit this, given the well-known "if you use the Mobi Reader you can't add support for any other DRM format" requirement.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Oh yes, I'm sure there's not a technical problem in doing so. I seriously doubt, however, that the terms of the Mobipocket licence would permit this, given the well-known "if you use the Mobi Reader you can't add support for any other DRM format" requirement.
It depends on what the license actually says. I don't know if it says that supporting Mobipocket at all has to be exclusive, or just supporting Mobipocket DRM. My understanding is that there are other devices that support non-DRM Mobipocket along with some other DRM format.

I don't think anyone outside of the Manufacturers has ever seen the Mobipocket licensing terms, but it could be based on DRM, not the format in general. I'd be interested in reading it, if you've seen any links to it anywhere.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
My understanding is that there are other devices that support non-DRM Mobipocket along with some other DRM format.
As I said in an earlier post, they are doing it using FBReader. Unfortunately FBReader's Mobi support is rather poor.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
As I said in an earlier post, they are doing it using FBReader. Unfortunately FBReader's Mobi support is rather poor.
Would a reader written by iRex fall into the same category as FBReader though. I think it comes down to the specifics of what the license terms say.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard

Here's some further details I've gotten (some of this is from iRex, some is my own speculation based on what they said).

If you opt for the Adobe support, the Mobipocket viewer will be removed. (Sounds like you were right HarryT). That means you choose one or the other. You can't have Adobe DRM and still keep non-DRM Mobipocket.

Regarding dictionaries. Yes, the current dictionary support is linked to Mobipocket. They are working on a dictionary solution that uses Adobe, but it will probably not be available during the initial release. So at first, people using the Adobe firmware will loose dictionary support until that is implemented. That means if you need the dictionary feature, then stay with the Mobipocket firmware until it is added to the Adobe firmware.

Regarding updates. Unfortunately, it sounds like the Mobipocket firmware will not get further updates. They will continue to make it available for users who prefer Mobipocket support, but future updates will only be on the Adobe version. According to the exclusivity clause in the Mobipocket licensing agreement, iRex is unable to support two different DRMs on the same device, even if they're in separate firmwares. I think what that means is that once they start supporting Adobe they have to stop development on the Mobipocket version. They can't offer a firmware choice on the same device as a way to get around the exclusive licensing terms. It's OK to offer the existing Mobipocket firmware because it predates the Adobe support, but they aren't allowed to update it anymore.