Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 01:44 AM   #1
cklammer
Zealot
cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Centro, Acer Aspire One
Search Everything

Hi everybody,

Fristly, I am not sure if I am posting this in the proper forum area ... ? If not, Forum moderators please assist and relocate this thread.

I have found and used a new PC-WIndows-based search tool. It only searches on filenames and only on NTFS volumes (which everyone should be using everywhere anyway for hard disks - USB or otherwise). It is BLAZINGLY fast and stable - I have used it now for one month without any hassle.

I bringing this tool to the forum's attention as I found it very useful in locating my ebook files on my PC harddisk.

Let me state that I am not affiliated in any way with the program or it's author.

What it is about ? This is an excerpt from the website's FAQ:

1 Everything
1.1 What is "Everything"?

"Everything" is an administrative tool that locates files and folders by filename instantly for Windows.
Unlike Windows search "Everything" initially displays every file and folder on your computer (hence the name "Everything").
You type in a search filter to limit what files and folders are displayed.
1.2 How long will it take to index my files?

"Everything" only uses file and folder names and generally takes a few seconds to build it's database.
A fresh install of Windows XP SP2 (about 20,000 files) will take about 1 second to index.
1,000,000 files will take about 1 minute.
1.3 Does Everything search file contents?

No, "Everything" does not search file contents, only file and folder names.
1.4 Does "Everything" hog my system resources?

No, "Everything" uses very little system resources.
A fresh install of Windows XP SP2 (about 20,000 files) will use about 3-5mb of ram and less than 1mb of disk space.
1,000,000 files will use about 45mb of ram and 5mb of disk space.
1.5 Does "Everything" monitor file system changes?

Yes, "Everything" does monitor file system changes.
Your search windows will reflect changes made to the file system.
1.6 Is "Everything" free?

Yes, "Everything" is Freeware.
1.7 Does "Everything" miss changes made to the file system if it is not running?

No, "Everything" can be closed and restarted without missing changes made to the file system (even across system restarts).
"Everything" updates the database when it is started.
1.8 What are the system requirements for "Everything"?

"Everything" will run on Windows 2000, XP, 2003 and Vista.
"Everything" will only locate files and folders on local NTFS volumes.
"Everything" requires administrative privileges for low level read access to volumes.
1.9 How do I convert a volume to NTFS?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881
1.10 Can "Everything" index a mapped network drive?

No, "Everything" only indexes local or removable NTFS volumes.

To search a networked computer you will need to run Everything on both computers.
One computer will need to Start an ETP server.
The other computer will need to connect to that ETP server.

To start an ETP server:
1. In Everything, On the Tools menu, click Start ETP server.

To connect to an ETP server:
1. In Everything, On the Tools menu, click Connect to ETP Server....
2. Type in the ETP server name.
3. Type in the ETP server port.
4. Type in the ETP server user.
5. Type in the ETP server password.
6. Click OK.

So that it is from me,
cklammer

P.S.: I have used and downloaded the Unicode beta version in order to have support for "international" filenames. cklammer

P.P. S: Tool just had an upgrade: No more beta version available - presumably all functionality is available now in the release version.

Last edited by cklammer; 03-18-2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Added P.P.S.
cklammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:13 AM   #2
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Nice one thank you!
Just the tool I was looking for

I excluded everything but my eBooks-folder, so I finally have a fast way to browse my ebooks - and it even allows me to do that from anywhere in the world

Last edited by Pulp; 03-16-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
cklammer
Zealot
cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Centro, Acer Aspire One
I have enabled all my drives except for my backup drive. This includes my c: drive ... this works as long you know pretty well what you are looking for. But don't look for the search tag "win" ....

cklammer
cklammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
wguru
wguru began at the beginning.

Device: none
but what about the underlying security risks?

In that I've decided that SE's the greatest thing since sliced bread (in it's performance), unless I'm ill-informed, I find it suprizing that nowhere am I finding objections to the apparent security risk that it's default setup seems to present.

Only in SE's help feature (help on everything), all I can glean from it about ETP/FTP/HTTP server security, is that apparently SE has some functions that enable it to run on the internet.

Perhaps those functions are clear enough for advanced users, but they aren't all that clear for novices, and again, so potentially unclear is SE's help feature.

All I can grasp (for now) is that the only thing 'clear' in the help feature, with respect to 'server security' and/or uses of SE (with our browser running), is that 'help' states...

"All files that are visible with Everything can be accessed via FTP Browser with read and list access." (also mentions accessed with Windows share names). "Starting an ETP/FTP/HTTP server could result in undesired access to folders and files."

As for what accessing a server means in that context, it's not elaborated on in simple terms. As for elsewhere in SE's help feature, references to SE's default setup and the user's reconfiguring the setup (with respect to volumes), is again not clearly explained in simple terms.

As such, I feel that the common SE user is unknowingly exposed to security risks, for what I understand amounts to anyone with internet access and a little savoy, can basically access all folder and file names, maybe even their locations and many more details about 'our' operating systems (and do so without our permission and/or knowledge).

Again from what little I understand about computing, even though I consider myself an 'advanced novice', the glaring truth is that not only does Miscrosoft neglect the users by affording only the most rudimentary of help features, but software producers are doing it too.

I see that sort of UI as inherently supporting the unknowing use of these 'infernal' machines and moreover, also doing nearly nothing about rampant security issues that ultimately stem from software and platform designers.

I for one, at least for this wonderful search utility, would sure appreciate a reasonably detailed explanation of how to setup SE so at least I don't have to worry about using the internet while SE is installed.

And while I love how fast SE searches (something like 20 times faster than Windows default search utility), I wouldn't mind that search time being degraded even by 100%, so long as I was confident that my folder and files were not rather easily accessed (read and listed) by anyone capable of and wanting to do so.

So I'm left wondering when and where (if this's even possible) that someone will post SE's settings that disclose how to set it up so that anyone cannot at their will, read and list what amounts to my directory (including how to avoid indexing drives I don't want or need to be indexed).

Last edited by wguru; 04-14-2010 at 05:30 PM.
wguru is offline   Reply With Quote