Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
Prest0
Prest0 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Sony with wireless?

Okay, I've been saving my pennies to buy my first reader, and now that I have the money I'm trying to decide if I should wait. Please help me out here. I've pretty much decided that the Kindle isn't the right device for me. I'm fine with the Sony, but I'd really like something with built-in wireless. Now, I've read rumors that the next Sony eReader will include wireless, but I haven't been able to track down a release date or even a release quarter.

At this point I'm thinking about picking up a Sony (new or used, I'm not picky) and using it until the new Plastic Logic device comes out next year.

What do you think? Does anyone know anything about Sony + wireless?
Prest0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

If it is in the works, it won't be for a while. Sony is having some tough financial trouble, and nothing was mentioned at CES. So at least a year, if not more.

Try the 505, you might find you don't need the wireless. You never know
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prest0 View Post
Okay, I've been saving my pennies to buy my first reader, and now that I have the money I'm trying to decide if I should wait. Please help me out here. I've pretty much decided that the Kindle isn't the right device for me. I'm fine with the Sony, but I'd really like something with built-in wireless. Now, I've read rumors that the next Sony eReader will include wireless, but I haven't been able to track down a release date or even a release quarter.

At this point I'm thinking about picking up a Sony (new or used, I'm not picky) and using it until the new Plastic Logic device comes out next year.

What do you think? Does anyone know anything about Sony + wireless?
I see this is your first post, so welcome to MobileRead.

If you can give us a little more information, then we can offer more useful opinions. (For example: If you like wireless, why not the Kindle?)

The Sony wireless may be awhile, as that seems to be the consensus around here.

In my opinion, you're not going to go wrong with a Sony, Kindle 2, or Cybook Gen3. Those are the three biggies. Other members with different devices will, of course, most likely recommend the device they own over the three I've listed.

Once you see an e-ink Reader, you may find yourself lusting for it right then and there.

Give us a bit more information on what you like to read, and why a device will/will not satisfy what you need right now.

And remember: Always have fun!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
In my opinion, you're not going to go wrong with a Sony, Kindle 2, or Cybook Gen3. Those are the three biggies. Other members with different devices will, of course, most likely recommend the device they own over the three I've listed.

Once you see an e-ink Reader, you may find yourself lusting for it right then and there.
I do agree that reading on any e-ink device has decided advantages over paper books, however I think it can be quite possible for some people, obviously not you, to go wrong with any of those devices depending on their preferences. Not only is content availability and price a factor, they are distinctly different in features.

When I first started looking at reading devices, I took it as a given that I would be able to search my content, look up words in a dictionary (or even translate them), organize my content into folders and use different fonts. There is not a single e-ink device out there that currently does all these things. I have settled for a subset of the features which were the highest priority for me. There are some features that I felt I couldn't do without so, even though I prefer e-ink to paper, I do think I would have found some of the devices out there frustrating and not worth the money.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
Prest0

Thanks for the welcome and input, guys.

Here's a little more detail. I read a lot of fantasy and sci-fi, but I also play pen-and-paper roleplaying games. Those kinds of books tend to include lots of illustrations, tables, and sidebars. Consequently, publishers of those books have settled on PDF to maintain the integrity of their layout. I've been told (but haven't seen first hand), that Kindle doesn't display those PDFs very well.

I'm also concerned for the future and want to make sure I'm not locked into a book format that I won't be able to use if I change devices later. ePub sounds like the way to go. I might reconsider the Kindle if I felt confident that there was a way to "jailbreak" those kindle/mobiepocket books later, but otherwise I'd just as soon not get locked into a proprietary format.

In the interest of full disclosure, I do own an iPhone but I haven't tried one of the eReaders for that device. It seems like it would run the battery down faster with the backlight on all the time, and I'm not really keen on reading on a small screen. (In fact, I'd really like an e-ink with a screen the size of a hardback.) I've got wi-fi at home and wi-fi at work, so I spend most of my day in wireless coverage. It just seems like it would be easier to transfer books around if I could connect wirelessly.

So, going back to my first post, I'm still leaning toward the 505. Used would be fine, but the ones I've seen listed aren't all that much cheaper than a new one I can get from Sam's Club ($269).
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
Prest0

Ok, I've jumped in! After making my post above, I saw this thread about refurb 505s in the UK. Using the coupon code I was able to order a unit for under $200, including shipping.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prest0 View Post
Ok, I've jumped in! After making my post above, I saw this thread about refurb 505s in the UK. Using the coupon code I was able to order a unit for under $200, including shipping.
Congrats! That's a really really good deal.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote