Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
1.5m books in your pocket - with Google Books Mobile

Matthew just sent us in this fantastic news: The mobile version of Google Books has gone live. The site seems primarily aimed at mobile phones, but I'd be interested to see if the Kindle and other wireless E Ink readers could use it. If so, this would offer a mobile library that would certainly merit a special announcement (perhaps on February 9).

Information about the mobile version of Google Books can be found on the Google Books blog.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Strange. It did not work on my S60 phone with the standard browser. I just get a blank page (it works in my iceweasel on my laptop).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Works great on the iPhone. Can't see myself reading much on it but nice to knows its there.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Strange. It did not work on my S60 phone with the standard browser. I just get a blank page (it works in my iceweasel on my laptop).
Works fine on desktop, completely blank screen on Mogul (standard IE browser).

Looks ok on iphone (once I managed to type in the address, which is painful with the touch screen keypad). But we all know that no one using Apple products reads anymore (after all, Jobs has spoken about his demographic).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I actually read this post on my iPhone via MobileRead Mobile so I just had to clink the link to get to the site. I do not find the touch screen keypad all that painful though.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Sound like something worth testing out with the wireless version of the Hanlin v3 when it comes out......

(Trying to be patient !!)
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I went out there to check it out via desktop browser. Very sluggish. Pulled up Jurgen by James Branch Cabell. Text was typical OCR'ed without proofing. A very good level of OCR, but clearly no proofing.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
So are all of these public domain books?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
So are all of these public domain books?
Yup but any minute now Google might launch commercial books as well according to the Google Book Settlement http://books.google.com/booksrightsholders/

As you can see on http://books.google.com/googlebooks/mobile/ they have an option to filter by "Free books", which obviously means it'll soon also have books that are either part of a new unlimited Google book subscription, I'm guessing $10 per month could do it for an unlimited access to a whole bunch of books, newspapers and magazines. Or it could be pay-per-donload books as well. It'll all be up to the copyright owner to opt-in or opt-out any of those monetization plans, until Obama launches an Art tax plan which will allow Google to provide full open access to all content even commercial content with only an opt-out option for copyright holders. Though opting-out being available for free online thus getting money through the art tax will be pretty much pointless.

Amazon should provide a full access to Google books on their Kindles. If Amazon wants to charge for bandwidth used on free stuff, they can charge per megabyte when people watch or download books and other stuff from outside of the Kindle store.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:28 AM   #10
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbax View Post

Amazon should provide a full access to Google books on their Kindles. If Amazon wants to charge for bandwidth used on free stuff, they can charge per megabyte when people watch or download books and other stuff from outside of the Kindle store.
per meg on cell phones is ussually $10
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:43 AM   #11
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
That pricing would be completely insane. That's $10'000 per GB. Ridiculous.

In regular 3G networks, pricing per GB may be somewhere between $1 and $10 thus somewhere between $0,001 and $0,01 per Megabyte.

Thus $1 for 100mb to be used as the user pleases on Google Books, Google News or Google Reader items, that would be reasonable. Amazon can just charge people automatically, or charge as a pre-paid model. Put some bandwidth credit on your Kindle account and you can see the pricing go down as you pull ebooks, news items, blog posts and whatever else should be available. This should also include all project Gutenberg content and whatever other sources for compatible content.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #12
erayd
Zealot
erayd doesn't littererayd doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbax View Post
That pricing would be completely insane. That's $10'000 per GB. Ridiculous.

In regular 3G networks, pricing per GB may be somewhere between $1 and $10 thus somewhere between $0,001 and $0,01 per Megabyte.

Thus $1 for 100mb to be used as the user pleases on Google Books, Google News or Google Reader items, that would be reasonable. Amazon can just charge people automatically, or charge as a pre-paid model. Put some bandwidth credit on your Kindle account and you can see the pricing go down as you pull ebooks, news items, blog posts and whatever else should be available. This should also include all project Gutenberg content and whatever other sources for compatible content.
Not if you're in New Zealand - here, the standard casual data rate for mobile data is $9/MB. Yes, I do mean per megabyte - see the bottom plan on this page.
erayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
No love on my iPaq (mobile IE) or my LG Dare browser (java-based, whatever it is). Blank screens ahoy. It only works on my PC.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #14
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
Is that for the Kindle? Many new phones now have data plans for $20 or so a month with "virtually" unlimited bandwidth.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by erayd View Post
Not if you're in New Zealand - here, the standard casual data rate for mobile data is $9/MB. Yes, I do mean per megabyte - see the bottom plan on this page.
I though USD 2.50 per MB that we have for that was a lot. For unlimited data you have to pay USD 25 per month.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote