Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-17-2017, 05:09 AM   #1
KathyJM
Enthusiast
KathyJM began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablet (& Kobo Glo HD)
[Android] How to set up CC and Dropbox

I'm probably being thick, but are there step-by-step instructions for setting up CC to connect with my library in Dropbox?

When I try, I get as far as choosing the folder where my Ebooks are stored and the dialogue box justs sits there with the blue circle and gets no further. Clearly I'm doing something wrong.
KathyJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:57 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Are you using CC on Android or iOS?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2017, 05:57 AM   #3
KathyJM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Are you using CC on Android or iOS?
Android
Old 04-17-2017, 06:04 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It sounds like CC is having trouble downloading the calibre database from Dropbox. This can happen if the network connection to Dropbox is slow, either the local WiFi or the external network. It might also be that the database is enormous and takes a long time to download. Finally, there might be some problems with an SD card, should you be using one.

A CC debug log will help me determine where things are going wrong. You can send me one by going to CC's settings / Other (at the bottom) and choosing Email a debug log to MultiPie.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:10 AM   #5
KathyJM
Enthusiast

Quote:
It sounds like CC is having trouble downloading the calibre database from Dropbox. This can happen if the network connection to Dropbox is slow, either the local WiFi or the external network. It might also be that the database is enormous and takes a long time to download. Finally, there might be some problems with an SD card, should you be using one.

A CC debug log will help me determine where things are going wrong. You can send me one by going to CC's settings / Other (at the bottom) and choosing Email a debug log to MultiPie.
Email sent; thank you.
Advert
Old 04-17-2017, 06:47 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I received the debug log. From the log I think this is what you are seeing.
  1. You choose Connect to Dropbox
  2. CC asks you to log in. This appears to succeed.
  3. CC shows you a "help" dialog saying that you need to choose the library folder. You say OK
  4. CC show you a dialog with a spinning progress indicator. You never see any folder list.
  5. After around 2 minutes it stops. I suspect you tapped Cancel.
This is a very strange sequence. There are no network errors and no Dropbox errors, but CC seems to find no folders.

One possibility I see is that there are no folders in the Dropbox account using the credentials (email and password) you logged in with. I never expected that to happen and CC doesn't log it, but following the code I think I would see this behavior. This leads to the question: if you log into Dropbox via the web interface using exactly the credentials you used with CC, do you see any folders? Do you see your library?
Old 04-17-2017, 07:03 AM   #7
KathyJM
Enthusiast

Quote:
I received the debug log. From the log I think this is what you are seeing.
  1. You choose Connect to Dropbox
  2. CC asks you to log in. This appears to succeed.
  3. CC shows you a "help" dialog saying that you need to choose the library folder. You say OK
  4. CC show you a dialog with a spinning progress indicator. You never see any folder list.
  5. After around 2 minutes it stops. I suspect you tapped Cancel.
This is a very strange sequence. There are no network errors and no Dropbox errors, but CC seems to find no folders.

One possibility I see is that there are no folders in the Dropbox account using the credentials (email and password) you logged in with. I never expected that to happen and CC doesn't log it, but following the code I think I would see this behavior. This leads to the question: if you log into Dropbox via the web interface using exactly the credentials you used with CC, do you see any folders? Do you see your library?
Yes, Dropbox looks as I would expect it and my library is there.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:05 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyJM View Post
Yes, Dropbox looks as I would expect it and my library is there.
CC is not seeing what is in your Dropbox and I have no idea why and no idea how to fix it.

Two random thoughts:
  • Do you have a security app/firewall on your device? If so, it might be blocking CC's Dropbox access.
  • A few users have reported that they had strange problems until they connected to calibre once as a wireless device. I have never understood why, but that doesn't change the fact that the problems happened. If you can, try connecting as a wireless device, disconnecting, then connecting to Dropbox again.

I note that you have the paid version of CC. Given that the app doesn't work for you, you are welcome to a refund. See this page for instructions.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Couple of long shots:

What if calibre library is deeply nested in drop box subfolders?

Also, I think that you can log into drop box and view a list of apps that you have granted access to.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:38 PM   #10
KathyJM
Enthusiast

Quote:
CC is not seeing what is in your Dropbox and I have no idea why and no idea how to fix it.

Two random thoughts:
  • Do you have a security app/firewall on your device? If so, it might be blocking CC's Dropbox access.
  • A few users have reported that they had strange problems until they connected to calibre once as a wireless device. I have never understood why, but that doesn't change the fact that the problems happened. If you can, try connecting as a wireless device, disconnecting, then connecting to Dropbox again.

I note that you have the paid version of CC. Given that the app doesn't work for you, you are welcome to a refund. See this page for instructions.
Your suggestion of connecting as a wireless device seems to have worked. All now working. Many thanks for your help
Old 04-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyJM View Post
Your suggestion of connecting as a wireless device seems to have worked. All now working. Many thanks for your help
Thanks for the confirmation. Now I know that I really need to spend more time looking for why an initial connection might be needed.