Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #16
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I am not on Facebook or Twitter
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:11 PM   #17
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Based on the initial response I got from my library's help desk, the person who responded has no idea what a Sony reader is or how it is supposed to work. I will attempt an explanation, and suggest they ask Overdrive (surely they have a contact there for technical questions?) if Sony readers will officially no longer be supported.
However, at this point I am not hopeful that I will receive a useful response.

In case any of you want to try emailing your own library in the hope of reaching someone more knowledgeable, the following is a link to an Overdrive page where you can enter your library's name or location to obtain an email address for you local library:

http://help.overdrive.com/customer/p...ticles/1613698
Advert
Old 12-05-2016, 06:21 PM   #18
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Based on the initial response I got from my library's help desk, the person who responded has no idea what a Sony reader is or how it is supposed to work. I will attempt an explanation, and suggest they ask Overdrive (surely they have a contact there for technical questions?) if Sony readers will officially no longer be supported.
However, at this point I am not hopeful that I will receive a useful response.

In case any of you want to try emailing your own library in the hope of reaching someone more knowledgeable, the following is a link to an Overdrive page where you can enter your library's name or location to obtain an email address for you local library:

http://help.overdrive.com/customer/p...ticles/1613698
I think it must depend on the library. My library has one day of the week they even have a free class/support for ereaders and I was talked to about the Overdrive. She did seem to know what she was talking about, and I truly think my issue is my reader is maybe just "dying".

I think Overdrive is definitely who we should contact. But I think I had tried to find a number for them and couldn't. I'll try your link though, thanks so much denise

PS Ok, yes, On this page http://help.overdrive.com/customer/p...ticles/1481527

the first thing it explains which Nooks will work with overdrive, also, a bit further down, it tells how we are to download the "app" from Google Play Store, which I do not have on my older Nook. I am more inclined to listen to OD than my library. I had OD on my Nook, but when it was upgraded, it's never worked right.

New Nook Tablet 7, here I come Keep my old one for back up

Last edited by abbynormal52; 12-05-2016 at 06:25 PM. Reason: found more info
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:30 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
To the best of my knowledge the way OverDrive support works nowadays is that you contact your library and if they can't help they pass it along to OD. This is, or so I've read, due to the number of "support" questions OD was getting like "when will library X get book Y, or why don't they have book Z" which only the library staff can answer. So it goes to library staff, where tech knowledge varies greatly, and they can elevate it if need be.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:52 PM   #20
4691mls
Wizard

I have sent the help person another email asking that they ask someone at Overdrive if this issue will be fixed, or if Overdrive has officially discontinued the ability to download directly onto Sony readers. (If they have, then I will move on with my life - I just want to know!)

I also included a link to the Overdrive Sony instructions and an Overdrive video showing someone downloading a book on a Sony reader.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note - although for the past several days I had been able to access my loans, holds, or wishlist on the reader (though not actually download a book), tonight it has reverted to the problem reported in my original post, where if I try to access my loans, holds, or wishlist, I get booted out of the browser. (I didn't go into all this in my email to the help person - I figured they were confused enough already)

Also, a couple days ago I tried returning a book from the PRS-T1 and it did not work

Last edited by 4691mls; 12-05-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Advert
Old 12-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #21
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
My library uses 3M Cloud Library. I've never tried using it on my Sonys, I just download to the computer and sideload onto the Sony.

In fact, I've never even turned the WiFi on on any of my various Sonys, I like to sideload stuff.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:56 PM   #22
ChrisI
Connoisseur
ChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo H2O, Libre 2
I switched from a 505 to a Kobo, but have still been using the Reader Library software to borrow books from the overdrive library. A few days ago, this software stopped working as well. I tried ADE 1.7, and it also failed with a 2038 error.

I was never able to resolve it. My solution was to upgrade ADE to 2.0, and it still works.

It seems that ADE 1.7 and the old Sony software/firmware share the same problem. But borrowing the books using ADE 2.0 or higher and sideloading them into the reader should work.
ChrisI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:02 PM   #23
4691mls
Wizard

I have not had any trouble at all using the Sony Reader for PC software - in fact I just downloaded another library book about five minutes ago.

Mostly I use the PC and sync method of getting library books. However, occasionally if I am not at home (traveling, or even just out to lunch at a place that has free wifi) I like to be able to use the reader itself to get books directly.

The only difference I have noticed when downloading library books to the PC software with the new Overdrive is that with some (not all) books there is an extra popup along the way that says something like "adobe is required for this book", I click on that, then it downloads.

Last edited by 4691mls; 12-05-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:44 PM   #24
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
I think you guys nailed the problem.
On my PC, the top button says "Download EPUB eBook", on the Sony it says "ADD TO APP EPUB eBook".
The urls are identical, so it means their site is misidentifying our readers as Android devices, not ereaders.

If we could get through to them, they COULD fix it.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:48 PM   #25
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
mine was working fine a couple months ago before the library switched to the new version of Overdrive. Has your library switched yet? If you are on the new version and got it to work, maybe there is hope for the rest of us!
I guess my library switched since I was unable to download a book like I did before on my prs-t1. The only way to see the book I downloaded was via an app called axis360 on my tablet.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:01 AM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
I guess my library switched since I was unable to download a book like I did before on my prs-t1. The only way to see the book I downloaded was via an app called axis360 on my tablet.
axis360 (run by Baker & Taylor) is a totally separate service from OverDrive. By default it only works on computers, tablets and smartphones. There is an option to download books via ADE for sideloading, but the individual library has to enable it.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:09 AM   #27
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I think you guys nailed the problem.
On my PC, the top button says "Download EPUB eBook", on the Sony it says "ADD TO APP EPUB eBook".
The urls are identical, so it means their site is misidentifying our readers as Android devices, not ereaders.

If we could get through to them, they COULD fix it.
I hope I can contact them, I'll try tomorrow. There's a phone # on this page:

http://company.overdrive.com/company/contact/

I can't remember now if anyone has called them. Like I said, I can try, see if I can find out anything. I'll let you guys know if I do.
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #28
PatGIV
Connoisseur
PatGIV began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 & 2 ea. of T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
If by Cloud Library you mean cloudLibrary by bibliotheca (formerly 3M cloud library) they have a PC application that will download a DRM'd ePub. They don't specifically list Sony as a supported device, but if it works with Kobo's and Nook's it should work with Sony too I would think? (just use the same Adobe ID as the Sony is activated on...
http://www.yourcloudlibrary.com/inde...he-app/windows
Brian: This is the same app that I already have installed and there isn't any way to d/l a book from the library. Guess what the librarian told me is gospel truth...
PatGIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:38 AM   #29
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatGIV View Post
Brian: This is the same app that I already have installed and there isn't any way to d/l a book from the library. Guess what the librarian told me is gospel truth...
I don't know. Thankfully my library still uses OverDrive, but the companies website says you can download books and use their app (registered to your existing Adobe ID) to transfer the book to a reading device so I'm not sure what's up. If you can't download books with the app then what is it used for?

EDIT: It looks my library may have this service in addition to OverDrive. Guess I'll have a look around.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 12-06-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #30
ChrisI
Connoisseur
ChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo H2O, Libre 2
I tested different versions of the Sony software.

Reader Library does not work.

Reader for PC version 2.3.00.03130 does not work.

Reader for PC version 2.4.01.10241 works.
ChrisI is offline   Reply With Quote