Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 11-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
shiny
shiny began at the beginning.

Device: pearl open book
Conversion to talking book format

Hi I wonder if anyone can help. My husband is registered blind and has Pearl Open book software which is great for converting photos of paper books into electronic format, he can then get the computer to convert it into audio format - i think its mp3 and he can then transfer to his mp3 player.(simple Usb stick type)
Anyway he is wanting a few very specific books for christmas and some of them i cant get paper version but can get kindle version or sainsburys ebook version.
i have been told i can use calibre for conversion but i cant find out if this will sucessfully convert either kindle or the ebook mentioned into mp3 for him.
Any advice would be gratfully received. Please go easy on me i am not a computer expert!
thanks
shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Is there an audible version? Can he play audible format audio. If so this would be your best solution. Look up audible in our wiki if you are not familiar with it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Shiny: Assuming there's no audiobook version (and have you checked your public library? Sometimes they have a DAISY version) - search "text to speech to mp3" or "text to mp3 converter". Verbose, Sobolsoft, "Save as DAISY" (a Word add-in), Balabolka, Dspeech - there are many. For further help, it might be worth knowing what operating system you're using, what sort of mp3 player, etc.

Calibre will convert ebook formats into other ebook formats. So you if you have mobi, it can output epub, and so on through a vast multitude of text-type formats.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Actually - just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons - have you considered buying him a portable DAISY player for Xmas? Instead of converting each text book to mp3, you can just put EPUBs (or TXT, or RTF, etc - check the device's specifications) onto an SD card and put them in the player.

Once you decide which way to go, if you're having trouble I'm sure more help will be available here, just ask.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote