Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you damaged your Cybook
Yes - I have damaged my Cybook (to the point where function is impaired) 10 14.08%
No - I have not damaged my Cybook (or if I have the function is not impaired) 47 66.20%
I don't own one, I'm just looking 14 19.72%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Poll : Damaged device

There's a similar thread in the Iliad section. I'm very interested to hear from Cybook owners. Please be honest here folks!

Please don't vote that you have damaged it if you've experienced a problem with a faulty device other than damage.

And please note that the device is barely out, most of us haven't had it for long, and the people that have had it the longest have had it for at most six months.

Last edited by Halk; 04-03-2008 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Clarification.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:12 AM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
There's a similar thread in the Iliad section. I'm very interested to hear from Cybook owners. Please be honest here folks!

Please don't vote that you have damaged it if you've experienced a problem with a faulty device other than damage.

And please note that the device is barely out, most of us haven't had it for long, and the people that have had it the longest have had it for at most six months.

Yep. Damaged mine badly enough they had to send me a replacement. But I was quite grateful as I had one of those 'sample' units from September.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And to ask even more from people...

Would it be possible for people to post their anecdotes about damaged devices?

I.e. "I dropped mine onto concrete, it bounced on the corner, there's a bit of a dent but it works fine" and "I took mine out of my bag one day and the screen was dented and it hasn't worked since".
Old 04-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I Have damaeged one and broken the screen, but i dropped it really hard.
And i cant vote here, since i have a few more, that i did not break yet.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
Halk
Fanatic

Sorry Tribble. The thread was not designed for people who have their own electronic reader herds :P
Advert
Old 04-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
Zarkov
Zarkov began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook gen3
I haven’t managed to damage the device even though I have subjected it to a fair bit of punishment.

I’ve dropped it from about 4 feet onto the pavement.
I’ve managed to sleep on it for about 7 hours.
It was once launched through a bus with it’s owner attached when the bus driver had to make an emergency brake because some suicidal idiot stepped in front of it without looking.

And it’s been slapped around, jostled into, bumped into and slammed into doors whilst It was in my bag.
Ahh..... the joys of public transport during rush-hour , but it does give me ample time to use the Cybook instead of being stuck in traffic and having to pay attention to all the other road users..

So in my experience the Cybook is less vulnerable than it would first appear.
However I have always kept it in the Cybook cover supplied by Bookeen, which is fairly sturdy. And I’ve given it a bit of extra protection in my bag when I’m not using it, in the form of a modified executive organiser, with foam rubber padding and MDF plates for rigidity.

But for almost all day to day use the Bookeen cover should be sufficient to protect it from damage.
Zarkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you keep the Gen3 in its case, it should be pretty immune to "routine" drops. If you dropped the "bare" machine a few feet onto a hard floor, I wouldn't fancy its survival chances - the shock of impact will very likely shatter the glass substrate of the screen. That's why mine never leaves its case.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
Halk
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you keep the Gen3 in its case, it should be pretty immune to "routine" drops. If you dropped the "bare" machine a few feet onto a hard floor, I wouldn't fancy its survival chances - the shock of impact will very likely shatter the glass substrate of the screen. That's why mine never leaves its case.
Yep, I'm quite confident myself about it in the case. The case seems to be intentionally designed to take an impact so that the Cybook doesn't.

Unfortunately the Aquapac cover I bought for it has a few drawbacks. So it'll be out of the case for a while from time to time. (I'll put that in the waterproof case thread to stop this one going off topic).
Old 04-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Two small pieces of colour flaked off my page turning button on the left and right side. I often use my fingernail to change a page so that might be why it happened, but it's still a bit disappointing to see that the Cybook is not of the highest build quality.
Aside from that it still works fine, even though I dropped it twice from around a half metre (the Cybook was in it's case).
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:14 PM   #10
Utahcowboy
Connoisseur
Utahcowboy is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen3
I voted yes in this poll but I wanted to mention that I was able to fix the damage that I had done to it. I was sitting at a pew bench at church and it slipped off of my knee while I had my attention on one of my children and hit the carpeted floor. This caused the power button to jam for a few days, but I undid the screws on the back of the device and this caused it to pop back into place. I have not had a problem since. I will also add that my cybook was in its case at the time of the accident and apparently landed on the only exposed side.

Last edited by Utahcowboy; 04-07-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Utahcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:55 AM   #11
orlincho
Enthusiast
orlincho began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3(brick)/NOOK/NOKIA E52
I did killed mine once unfortunately.
I've sat ot it it the bed.
As a result broken screen and cybook shipped for repair.
Note that cybook was out of the case.
Summary - 1 month w/o cybook and -120Euro repair. It looked that they've replaced not only the screen but also a main board because now cybook has different PID.
Now I've plans to replace hard inserts in the case with something harder like an aluminium sheet.
orlincho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #12
CJBarrow
Book worm
CJBarrow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/Cybook Gen3/Hanlin V5
Unfortunately dropped my Cybook and it landed end on and my on/off button is now broken. It was protected by my leather cover, however did not help dropping it end on :-(
Bookeen replied withing minutes to my request for repairs and asked me to send it back.
Now my item appears to be lost in the post because they never received it, luckily it was insured so will see how I get on claiming from the post office, no doubt they will expect me to jump through hoops to claim for a refund.
CJBarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #13
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
I read in bed -- my mini-dachshunds have now stepped on the screen TWICE -- argh -- but so far, so good. (And no, if you're wondering, they aren't trying to read the latest Sue Grafton with me!)

Lelah
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:55 AM   #14
Crisby
Fanatic
Crisby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Crisby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Crisby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Crisby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
My Cybook travelled from Europe to Australia with no case, just in a suit pocket. It has been on several flights across Australia.

I now have a Bookeen case, but it still fits in a pocket. It works perfectly.
Crisby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:00 AM   #15
solodoc
Connoisseur
solodoc began at the beginning.

Device: CybookG3...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBarrow View Post
Unfortunately dropped my Cybook and it landed end on and my on/off button is now broken. It was protected by my leather cover, however did not help dropping it end on :-(
Bookeen replied withing minutes to my request for repairs and asked me to send it back.
Now my item appears to be lost in the post because they never received it, luckily it was insured so will see how I get on claiming from the post office, no doubt they will expect me to jump through hoops to claim for a refund.
I'm sorry you've lost it.

I learnt that when you send something in France, don't send it via post.

I sent mine and though our service was able to track it till it left...the french were abysmal on their side.

The website was in French, the phone number I was given to contact denied any knowledge of tracking overseas parcels, even though our postal service said the French would track it.I tried 5-6 international numbers.

Finally, according to people with experience, the French postman will attempt to deliver it, not leave a message if there is nobody there.(It is alleged some don't even get of their vehicles!)
It would be up to the addressee to contact the local post office.

After a couple of emails to Bookeen with the tracking number and asking them to contact the PO, they finally received it!

The whole process took 2 weeks for priority, insured, airmail over just 400 miles!

I would have posted this sooner if I thought other people might do it, I thought I made a mistake, but didn't think others would.

Given that Bookeen will only reimburse you to the tune of 16 Euros.....I can now see that others would post it!

Last edited by solodoc; 05-04-2008 at 05:08 AM.
solodoc is offline   Reply With Quote