Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #1336
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I'm with David on this. When Kobo has a bad install or buggy firmware MR sees a big uptick of new users that have found the site and are here now to get help or complain. What I am seeing with 2.1.4 seems to be people who have reverted Kobos, taken non-standard update paths, and are running into difficulties.
And remember this... Kobo DID enable 2.1.1 for some people who's devices COULD support it.

I think right now the best advice is to be patient. Updates will come to your device when the time is right.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #1337
Glasofruix
Enthusiast
Glasofruix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I have a really really nasty bug, my kobo is not saving my reading progress as it should. It seems to be reverting to an earlier synced state, which is really really annoying...
Glasofruix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #1338
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Glasofruix; this points to a corrupted database on the Touch. Unfortunately, the only real way to fix it is to drop the database which will mean reloading content.

Two ways to drop it
  1. Factory Reset. This will then mean reinstalling the firmware. This option is found under Settings | Device Information | Factory Reset
  2. Logging out from Kobo Account. With this there will be no need to reinstall firmware. This option is found under Settings | Account | Sign Out
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #1339
Glasofruix
Enthusiast
Glasofruix began at the beginning.

Just plugged my touch without using any softwre, safely ejected it with windows. The little bastard seems to remember the pages now.
Glasofruix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #1340
RickyB
Enthusiast
RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
... And there will be devices that need a two-stage update. There is an issue with some devices sold mainly in Australia. These require an intermediate firmware before going to 2.1.4. There has been a couple of reports of the intermediate firmware, 2.0.4, being rolled out.
I can verify this comment as an owner of one of the buggy Australian devices (the original 2.0.0 update bricked my KT).

On the weekend with a little trepidation I synced via desktop. The first update appeared to reinstall 2.0.0 (with a July release date from memory). Another Sync immediately after got me 2.0.4 r41166. No sign of 2.1.4 as yet.

Last edited by RickyB; 10-08-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling
RickyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #1341
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
I can verify this comment as an owner of one of the buggy Australian devices (the original 2.0.0 update bricked my KT).

On the weekend with a little trepidation I synced via desktop. The first update appeared to reinstall 2.0.0 (with a July release date from memory). Another Sync immediately after got me 2.0.4 r41166. No sign of 2.1.4 as yet.
I you were able to still use the device, doesn't that mean it wasn't bricked?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #1342
RickyB
Enthusiast
RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

The original 2.0.0 update a couple of months ago bricked it good and proper. A factory reset was needed to go back to 1.9.12, then I got a newer release of 2.0.0 later which I think was just for the problematic devices.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #1343
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
... bricked it good and proper...
I don't think that word means what you think it means.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #1344
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
That's right. Bricked is bricked. Only use for the device after bricking is to build a wall with it
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #1345
RickyB
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Am I being dense, or missing some subtle cultural innuendo here?

However if you're being serious what I mean is the device was not usable, was stuck on the 'dancing squares', required phone calls KT technical support and several factory resets.

[update] just read jusmee's clarification. OK you got me on a technicality :-)
Old 11-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #1346
bdr90
bdr90 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Can you do image firmware from Kobo internal storage? My request goes to the people have Linux.
bdr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #1347
dioioib
Enthusiast
dioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch N905B
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdr90 View Post
Can you do image firmware from Kobo internal storage? My request goes to the people have Linux.
You can take the SD card out of the unit and re-image it. So your unit is probably not totally bricked. You just need an image of the Kobo firmware as a .img and use a program in linux like dd to copy it back.

I upgraded my internal card to 16 gb class 10 a while back. If I can find my old 2gb card I could make an image but I might have some trouble finding it.
dioioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #1348
bdr90
bdr90 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dioioib View Post
You can take the SD card out of the unit and re-image it. So your unit is probably not totally bricked. You just need an image of the Kobo firmware as a .img and use a program in linux like dd to copy it back.

I upgraded my internal card to 16 gb class 10 a while back. If I can find my old 2gb card I could make an image but I might have some trouble finding it.
I would be thankfull.
bdr90 is offline   Reply With Quote