Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-25-2007, 07:19 AM   #1
adelheid
Zealot
adelheid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Question about bookmarks & DRM mobipocket

Is it expected behaviour that I can't add bookmarks to a DRM mobipocket book? I can add them to textfiles and non DRM mobipocket books.

This might have been answered in another thread, but I couldn't find a reference just now.

On a separate note: I also notice that the screen is very dark (to the point of needing a reading light during the day). Also by design?

Groet,
Adelheid
adelheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
My screen is very clear during the day and no need for a reading light. Maybe you could make a picture so we can see what you mean?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
adelheid
Zealot

I will charge the battery of my camera It's just that my Cybook has no high-contrast. The background is very gray and it tires my eyes to read the text.

Forgot to wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Last edited by adelheid; 12-25-2007 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:46 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Your Gen3 should be ok as far as the screen goes. I have a Sony 505 and it uses the same Vizplex screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:12 AM   #5
adelheid
Zealot

Most important question is about those bookmarks that won't stick on my DRM mobipocket book.

It also doesn't display the cover in the library view (did that at first) and doesn't display 'prc' as the filetype. I down/uploaded the file several times from the mobipocket site to the sd card.

Edit: I now moved the file to the Cybook itself and yes: cover recognized again, filetype recognized and bookmarks now possible. There must be something blocking on the sd card then (although I think I removed everything, including hidden files). It also didn't generate those .dat and .t2b files there (which it does on the Cybook).

Last edited by adelheid; 12-25-2007 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Workaround found
Advert
Old 12-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #6
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelheid View Post
Most important question is about those bookmarks that won't stick on my DRM mobipocket book.

It also doesn't display the cover in the library view (did that at first) and doesn't display 'prc' as the filetype. I down/uploaded the file several times from the mobipocket site to the sd card.

Edit: I now moved the file to the Cybook itself and yes: cover recognized again, filetype recognized and bookmarks now possible. There must be something blocking on the sd card then (although I think I removed everything, including hidden files). It also didn't generate those .dat and .t2b files there (which it does on the Cybook).
I'm not sure if that's what it is, but...

1) SD cards have physical read-only switch on the edge of the card. If it's in one position, the SD card is read-only. If it's in the other one, the device can also write to it. It can sometimes be switched when inputting the card into the device, depending on the SD slot shape.

2) The Cybook probably must first create the cover thumbnail picture, and the book summary information as the additional files while scanning the SD card. Only then it reads the information from them and displays it when showing library.

So, it appears to me that if your SC card were write-protected, the result would be just as you describe it, with no fault in the device.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 05:41 PM   #7
adelheid
Zealot

No, the SD card is in writable mode.

I deleted the eBooks directory just now and recreated it. Now inserting the SD card freezes the Cybook

I did notice some odd create dates for .dat and .t2b files on the card AND on the Cybook: December 4 for files created on the 24th.

Weird.

Now I have to find a way to get that SD card in order again...
Old 12-25-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
adelheid
Zealot

Wow, I tried deleting all files from the SD card, but it got stuck on the Pictures folder, which claimed to have 137GB in use! Don't know how my 2GB card got in such a state!

I finally managed to erase it with Disk Manager but switched to another, pristine SD card for now. Bookmarking works again for the files on the card.

Phew.

Them gadgets ...
Old 12-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The only way I have managed to corrupt USB mounted disks on Linux is when I forget to unmount the disk before removing the cable. And you should do a similar thing in Windows but I think is is not as sensitive in Windows not doing it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:50 PM   #10
adelheid
Zealot

Hmmm, in this case it has to have been something else: I have a Mac and have always taken care to unmount the device.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:43 AM   #11
Helra12
Helra12 doesn't litterHelra12 doesn't litter

Device: Cybook
SD freezed ?

Did you format it in Fat 32? That fixed the problem with mi Cybook
Helra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:05 AM   #12
adelheid
Zealot

I formatted it FAT. The original card had no formatting at all.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:01 AM   #13
penty
Connoisseur
penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelheid View Post
I will charge the battery of my camera It's just that my Cybook has no high-contrast. The background is very gray and it tires my eyes to read the text.

Forgot to wish you all a Merry Christmas!
Have you tried bolding the text?
penty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:15 AM   #14
adelheid
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by penty View Post
Have you tried bolding the text?
I have concluded that I was too grumpy before, when I complained about the lack of contrast. My husband was quite overawed by the e-ink display and told me it looked mighty fine.

So I guess I overreacted, no doubt negativeley influenced by my battles with that nasty sd card
Old 12-27-2007, 08:51 AM   #15
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Try some lamps and/or face it towards a window for good light exposure.
When there is enough light I find it looks fine and very hight contrast, better than many pBooks.
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote