Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 01-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired
hilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Difference Between Rooted v. Non-Rooted Ermine

I thought upgrading to Ermine was the same as rooting. Could someone post a link to the benefits of rooting, and also--if you're afraid to root it by yourself--can you pay someone to root it for you? Thank you.
hilaryfrompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Rooting is gaining Administrator access to your device, so that you can see protected folders, and modify contents that normally you would only be able to display, for security reasons.
Rooting with Z4Root is very simple, but knowing what to do after that is not so simple. So

I would add two questions to this thread:

what you better NOT TRY after rooting your device?

and

if I'd ever run a Golden system revert, would my system still be rooted after that?

Last edited by lorenzoens; 01-15-2012 at 09:27 AM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired
hilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
So I would add two questions to this thread:

what you better NOT TRY after rooting your device?

and

if I'd ever run a Golden system revert, would my system still be rooted after that?
Consider them asked!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
MissileMax
MissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, Nook Touch, Nook simple touch, Note2
Rooting is required to add Google Market and Live Wallpaper because you need to be able to mount the System folder with write permissions to install those Apps. If you can live without those, I see no reason to root. With Amazon, there is even less of a reason. (Although Amazon adds DRM to all the apps, so once you get apps from them, you are stuck with them forever...even free apps.)
Ermine is Android 2.2, where Dingo is 1.6, so updating to Ermine gives you access to any apps that require Android 2.2. EnTourage also fixed a few bugs with Ermine. Android 2.2 (called Froyo) improved batttery life, and was generally considered faster than 1.6.
On the full sized edge (which I do not have) I understand that Ermine might have introduced a few bugs. I have a Pocket eDGe and updated to Ermine and Rooted ten minutes after taking it out of the box so my Dingo/non-rooted experience is minimal. I can say I have been going 4 weeks with no problems.

If you are rooted, be sure to follow and instructions exactly when adding any features that require root. The reason we don't have root out of the box, is so we don't mess up our eDGes! Another advantage to not rooting is you are safer from poorly written programs and malware (viruses).

In summary: Dingo is android 1.6, Ermine is 2.2. Both can be rooted. Rooting gives you permission to modify any file or folder on your device.
MissileMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
For what I've seen in this first day of using a rooted-edge, after 8 months of non rooted usage, it was slightly better before the rooting process, because of occasional weird responsivity of the commands, never happened to me before rooting.

Pressing the "back" hardware button, on the rooted sometimes causes a random exit from the application, other times just a step back. Before the rooting, the button would only cause a step back.

Even the "slide to unlock" command has performed better before than the rooting. Now it happens sometimes that the slide won't move at the first press.

I did not install any new app since the Root.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
i doubt that.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
i doubt that.
me too.. I can't see how rooting would possibly cause any of those things to change as described.
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
MissileMax
MissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, Nook Touch, Nook simple touch, Note2
Lorenzoens,

As a long time programmer, and novice Android developer, I can't see how rooting would cause those symptoms on its own. I would be looking at Avast or Lookout antivirus. Something else must be different? Usually developers are testing on emulators and rooted devices anyway so rooted devices are typically less buggy, not more. Can you give a good example of the back button behavior?
MissileMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
For what I've seen in this first day of using a rooted-edge, after 8 months of non rooted usage, it was slightly better before the rooting process, because of occasional weird responsivity of the commands, never happened to me before rooting.

Pressing the "back" hardware button, on the rooted sometimes causes a random exit from the application, other times just a step back. Before the rooting, the button would only cause a step back.

Even the "slide to unlock" command has performed better before than the rooting. Now it happens sometimes that the slide won't move at the first press.

I did not install any new app since the Root.
I am glad I read this. I understand the replies that are reassuring/questioning you, but I'm nevertheless glad I haven't tried it.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I have 2 pes.
one rooted and one not.
same hardware, software.
both run at same speed.
saying rooting is slowing down, is rubbish.
however rooting is personal preference!
Old 01-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #11
vicinc
Guru

btw z4root is very temperamental on edges. I remember mine did not like it.
i suggest use rooted ermine via pablo rc3 update (for pe only).
works gr8
Old 01-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired

Vicinc, I just installed Golden Allmine, and now my PE is officially a Nexus. So maybe it's too late to root, and with the access to the market, I don't think I'm interested. I'd like to know what the warning about using the Gingerbread keyboard meant, though. It said something like "input is not private," or something like that. That's the only thing that went wrong...besides my taking out the SD card without dismounting it.

THANKS EVERYONE! You're all fantastic!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
Yivi
Shhh I'm reading...
Yivi began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe - iPad
Yivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
vicinc
Guru

golden is already rooted. installing any keyboard is giving you warnings a keyboard program can capture your keys, this is why I like market on my device as the software is verified and from trusted source.
I can not use amazon market in uk, so for me the google market is the only option.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #15
vicinc
Guru

btw,is you PE slower after Golden rc3 (rooted)? No, actually due to partioning scheme I believe is faster.