Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Device: iPad, Nook, NC, NST, Kobo, Nook Glo, K4, KPW Touch
New to Kobo

Yesterday I ordered a Kobo Touch from HSN. The price was right and I figured I'd give it a try. The specs all looked really nice.

I have owned/purchased iPad, Original Nooks, Nook Color, Kindle 3 and just recently the Nook Simple Touch. (I had a NST when it first came out and returned it due to blurry font when reading outside. I was told this was fixed so I am trying it again.)

I came here to see what others are saying about it and I'm not really finding a lot about it here. I'm now confused because I don't know what all the software/firmware updates fixed, didn't fix, etc. I guess without the reader in my hands, it's hard to figure out what everyone is talking about.

I love the fact that there are frequent updates on the reader. That's a real plus for sure.

I really love my iPad best, but can't use that to read outside and it's nice to have a smaller, lighter reader. I'm not sure I am loving my NST. I find the screen is not as responsive as I'd like at times. Other times it's fine.
I also feel the page turn buttons are pretty stiff and requires a "good push", which is inconvenient (although I do like having a choice between touch and a button to turn pages.)

But what I'd like to know.....does the KT running on Android or Linux?
When I am reading a book, what shows on the page? Does the clock and time show with the newest update? Does the book title show? I know the page # shows on the bottom.

I'm looking forward to getting it and comparing it side by side with the NST.
zwarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kobo Touch
Page number shows on the side, and book title shows on kepubs, but not sideloaded epubs. The clock is visible in the top right hand corner when you touch the centre of the page (while reading) to bring up options/menus. The clock is not displayed when you are merely reading. From what I know, KT operating system is linux based and has nothing to do with the Android platform.

Have fun playing with your new toy!
JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Thanks. Page numbers show on the side? Not on the bottom?

Does the battery show while you're reading?
Old 12-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post
Page number shows on the side, and book title shows on kepubs, but not sideloaded epubs.
On sideloaded e-pubs the page number shows at the side and at the bottom of the page and is the page in relation to the whole book. There is an option to turn off the small number at the right. For ke-pubs (kobo store format) the page numbers show up only at the bottom is the page number within the currently open chapter (so when you start a new chapter the page count goes back to 1). Battery does not show when reading. Like the clock, it shows when you tap the bottom of the screen to open the bottom menu bar.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Battery shows up on the options/settings screen when you press on the center just like for the clock, or on the home page screen. When reading, all you see is the text and the page number.

The page numbers are shown on the bottom, but they are not always exact since when you change font size/type/etc., the screen could really be showing the ending of page 72 and beginning of page 73, but it'll just say page 72 on the bottom. If you want, you can change the options to show the real page number on the right side. It'll then appear on the right side at the end of whichever line is the real new page.

Not sure if that's confusing or not... but it's pretty simple when it's in your hands.
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess that should be clarified.. GENERATED page numbers (depends on font size, font, page settings) appear on the bottom. Page numbers part of the epub file are shown on the right. One more thing about generated page numbers, for kobo epubs Page N of M is shown where 'M' is the number of pages in the CHAPTER/SECTION and 'N' is the page number within that CHAPTER/SECTION. In non-kobo epubs 'M' is the total number of pages in the document.

Assuming your Kobo Touch is updated to Firmware 1.9.14, when you touch the center of the page when you are reading, as JedV has mentioned, to bring up options/menus, not only is the Airplane mode and clock displayed in the upper right of the screen but the battery indicator also shows up on the upper left.

I have also noted that when on the home page, a clock icon is shown next to the Airplane mode icon. You can view the time by touching the clock icon.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
zwarbles
Connoisseur

Okay, thanks!