Old 10-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
misticaleclipse
misticaleclipse began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo cannot fix my issue, can you?

Type: Wireless Kobo- less than 1 year old
Firmware: 1.9
Software: Calibre (adobe)

I have submited a ticket to Kobo support and been very patient for 14 days while it was sent to level 2 to do nothing. I am amazed at not only the slow response, but lack of understanding once they do respond. Any insight would be nice.

Ticket #454916
Issue: I am unable to remove books from the Kobo reader, or add them to the device. I am however able to read the content on the reader without any issues.

1. Kobo reset through the settings
2. Reset the Kobo through the button on the back of the device (multiple times throughout the below steps)
3. Manually deleted every book on the kobo itself. Three of the books would not manually delete, as the Kobo gave an error they where already deleted. Once you plug it into the pc and then unplug it, and it updates, the books are restored
4. Synced through the Kobo software and attempted to download a few free books to the kobo, same result
5. Enabled wireless to try and update through this
6. Manually deleted all of the books through the drive showing through "my computer", they still do not delete once Kobo is unplugged from the pc
7. Utilized Calibre to remove all of the books, no change
8. Utilized Adobe to try to add/remove books, it allows me to add/delete but still the kobo will not update the content
8. Renamed the sqlite file and had it create a new one, no change

Last edited by misticaleclipse; 10-07-2011 at 07:17 AM. Reason: To add more information
misticaleclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you tried a chkdsk on the Kobo?

What O/S are you using on your computer?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
shall1028
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What O/S are you using on your computer?
I suspect (from #3 "pc" and #6 "My Computer") that this person is running a Windows box. Given how poorly stated the post is I'm not going to bet on it. No wonder the Kobo service boys have taken over two weeks and have a "lack of understanding".

After reading the post three times I suspect that the person has a certain quantity of books showing on the Kobo and no matter how he/she tries to add books or delete books from it those books are neither added nor deleted. But it could in the end just be a recipe for chicken soup for all I know.

How about re-listing the 9 points in paragraph form rather than Twitter "tweet" form?
Old 10-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
misticaleclipse

So sorry, you are right Shall, I forgot to include the main part of my issue.

I am unable to remove books from the Kobo reader, or add them to the device. I am however able to read the content on the reader without any issues.

I have two computers with Windows 7
I am unfamiliar with chkdsk, do you have a link with instructions?

Thank you
Old 10-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by misticaleclipse View Post
So sorry, you are right Shall, I forgot to include the main part of my issue.

I am unable to remove books from the Kobo reader, or add them to the device. I am however able to read the content on the reader without any issues.

I have two computers with Windows 7
I am unfamiliar with chkdsk, do you have a link with instructions?

Thank you
"chkdsk" is the name of the old MS-DOS tool for checking a drive for errors.

The Windows 7 equivalent is to run Windows Explorer, right click on the Kobo's drive, and select "Properties". On the "Properties" dialog, select the "Tools" tab, and, under "Error Checking", click the "Check Now" button.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The other thing I am wondering is if there might (somehow) be a recycler bin on the Kobo's drive, and that the Touch is finding material in that.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
The other thing I am wondering is if there might (somehow) be a recycler bin on the Kobo's drive, and that the Touch is finding material in that.
that would be a first; files deleted from network and removable drives are supposed to be deleted permanently (ie - recycle can't be associated with those drives because there's no guarantee they'd be available to restore to..)

One thing that could be tried is formatting the drive then restoring the SQL package (or for that matter, just leave it blank; the device itself should restore it)..not for the faint of heart though..

Last edited by Psyke; 10-07-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
misticaleclipse

Quote:
Aha! that is what it sounds like, like its some backup part of the kobo drive that will not delete the information.

Thanks Harry, I did a chkdsk on the kobo drive and no issues were found, i also ran i through the dos prompt with the same result

I called Kobo support and of course their level 2 does not speak to you over the phone. The level one guy though said he had never heard of the issue before and thought it could be the hardware, but level 2 is still asking me useless questions.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
if you run calibre in debug mode the output may provide some insight. You can also run the Kobo desktop from the command line to see debugging information
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #10
misticaleclipse

Hello timlegge

I ran the debug command in the cmd window and here is what I received. I posted the results below. Can anyone see something wrong?

I went into Calibre and deleted the books again after doing this and the same thing happened once i removed it from the pc and the kobo updated the content. All the old books are still there. The "Hockey news", which is automatically setup to transfer in Calibre does not appear on the Kobo.

C:\Users\Gateway>calibre-debug -g
Starting up...
Started up in 1.70500016212
Job: 1 Get device information started
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information callback returned
Job: 2 Get list of books on device started
DEBUG: 0.0 Version of firmware: 1.9 Has kepubs: True
DEBUG: 0.6 Database Version: 14
Job: 1 Get device information finished
No details available.
DEBUG: 1.3 Starting get_collections: manual
DEBUG: 1.3 Renaming rules: {}
DEBUG: 1.3 Formatting template: {value}{category:| (|)}
DEBUG: 1.3 Sorting rules: []
DEBUG: 2.2 Commit: Reset ReadStatus list
DEBUG: 3.0 Commit: Reset FavouritesIndex list
DEBUG: 3.0 Category: Im_Reading id = 1
DEBUG: 3.0 Title: Analog SFF, December 2009 category: Im_Reading
DEBUG: 3.2 Commit: Setting ReadStatus List
DEBUG: 3.2 Title: The Art of Racing in the Rain category: Im_Reading
DEBUG: 3.5 Commit: Setting ReadStatus List
DEBUG: 3.5 Title: Black Is the New White category: Im_Reading
DEBUG: 3.7 Commit: Setting ReadStatus List
DEBUG: 3.7 Title: Boneshaker category: Im_Reading
DEBUG: 4.0 Commit: Setting ReadStatus List
DEBUG: 4.0 Title: Star Wars: Millenium Falcon category: Im_Reading
DEBUG: 4.2 Commit: Setting ReadStatus List
DEBUG: 4.2 Title: Star Wars [Fate of the Jedi 1] Outcast category: Im_Re
ading
DEBUG: 4.4 Commit: Setting ReadStatus List
DEBUG: 4.4 Title: Trial by Ice: The True Story of Murder and Survival on
the 1871 Polaris Expedition category: Im_Reading
DEBUG: 4.6 Commit: Setting ReadStatus List
DEBUG: 4.7 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
DEBUG: 5.1 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DeviceJob: 2 Get list of books on device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 2 Get list of books on device callback returned
Job: 3 Upload 1 books to device:The Hockey News [Sat, 08 Oct 2011] started
Device using plugboard epub KOBO None
Setting metadata in: The Hockey News [Sat, 08 Oct 2011] at: c:\users\gateway\app
data\local\temp\calibre_0.8.21_tmp_7n8pp9\wagykmca ltmpfmt.epub
DEBUG: 5.6 USBMS: uploading 1 books
Job: 2 Get list of books on device finished
No details available.
DEBUG: 6.1 USBMS: finished uploading 1 books
DeviceJob: 3 Upload 1 books to device:The Hockey News [Sat, 08 Oct 2011] done, c
alling callback
DeviceJob: 3 Upload 1 books to device:The Hockey News [Sat, 08 Oct 2011] callbac
k returned
Job: 4 Send metadata to device started
DEBUG: 6.4 Starting get_collections: manual
DEBUG: 6.4 Renaming rules: {}
DEBUG: 6.4 Formatting template: {value}{category:| (|)}
DEBUG: 6.4 Sorting rules: []
Job: 3 Upload 1 books to device:The Hockey News [Sat, 08 Oct 2011] finished
No details available.
DEBUG: 7.1 Commit: Reset ReadStatus list
DEBUG: 7.9 Commit: Reset FavouritesIndex list
DEBUG: 7.9 Category: Im_Reading id = 1
DEBUG: 7.9 Title: Analog SFF, December 2009 category: Im_Reading
DEBUG: 8.1 Commit: Setting ReadStatus List
DEBUG: 8.1 Title: The Art of Racing in the Rain category: Im_Reading
DEBUG: 8.3 Commit: Setting ReadStatus List
DEBUG: 8.3 Title: Black Is the New White category: Im_Reading
DEBUG: 8.6 Commit: Setting ReadStatus List
DEBUG: 8.6 Title: Boneshaker category: Im_Reading
DEBUG: 8.8 Commit: Setting ReadStatus List
DEBUG: 8.8 Title: Star Wars: Millenium Falcon category: Im_Reading
DEBUG: 9.0 Commit: Setting ReadStatus List
DEBUG: 9.0 Title: Star Wars [Fate of the Jedi 1] Outcast category: Im_Re
ading
DEBUG: 9.2 Commit: Setting ReadStatus List
DEBUG: 9.2 Title: Trial by Ice: The True Story of Murder and Survival on
the 1871 Polaris Expedition category: Im_Reading
DEBUG: 9.4 Commit: Setting ReadStatus List
DEBUG: 9.4 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
DEBUG: 9.8 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DeviceJob: 4 Send metadata to device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 4 Send metadata to device callback returned
Job: 4 Send metadata to device finished
No details available.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #11
misticaleclipse

I forgot to mention there are 43 books on the Kobo, not sure why the debugger is not detecting them all
Old 10-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The best place to get help with issues like this is the Devices subforum within the "Calibre" forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
misticaleclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The best place to get help with issues like this is the Devices subforum within the "Calibre" forum.
Thank you, I will try posting the debug code there to get feedback.