Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Looking for steampunk suggestions

I always loved the idea but never got the chance to get into steampunk books.
I prefer sci-fi more than fantasy. I noticed there was quite a few that involved vampires, werewolves and ghosts, which is not really my thing. I wouldn't mind some of that, but rather it not be the main part of the story.

I'm also more interested in stories around navy/airships. Doesn't have to be military though, anything revolving around ships (air or sea) interests me. Could be military, could be war, could be civilians, merchants, transportation, etc.

But while I prefer the above a lot more, really, I would be open to any good steampunk novel.

Thanks!
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Two books by Cherie Priest:

Boneshaker. Zombies, Airships, Incredible Bone-Shaking Drill Engines.

Clementine. Airships, Big Guns, Mad Scientists.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Take a look at this older thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=steampunk
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
If you can handle REALLY WEIRD try Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. I can promise no vampires, werewolves or ghosts.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
ekster
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

jgaiser, those two books sound like they're exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you!

Thanks for the list poohbear, I tried searching around but I guess I didn't go back far enough.

And really weird is fine by me. I could always use more of it. I'll add perdido Street Station to my list as well. Thanks!
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
MeiLin
professional daydreamer
MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Cherie Priest for sure. You might like "The Native Star" by M.K. Hobson if you don't mind a little magic with your steampunk. Great story.
MeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I am kind of in the same boat as ekster, I haven't read much, but the concept is interesting.

I enjoyed the ghost trilogy by LE Modesitt Jr (Of Tangible Ghosts, Ghosts of the Revelator, and Ghosts of the White Nights), would these be considered steam punk? Or it just coincidental that they have the some of the same tech? They have steam powered cars, babbage machines instead of more modern computers, etc...
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I enjoyed the ghost trilogy by LE Modesitt Jr (Of Tangible Ghosts, Ghosts of the Revelator, and Ghosts of the White Nights), would these be considered steam punk? Or it just coincidental that they have the some of the same tech? They have steam powered cars, babbage machines instead of more modern computers, etc...
Haven't read them, but they sound steam punk to me. Amazon reviews are a bit mixed, but sounds like a fun series.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Haven't read them, but they sound steam punk to me. Amazon reviews are a bit mixed, but sounds like a fun series.
Thanks. I have looked at several different "recommend some steampunk" threads and never saw them mentioned, so I wanted to see if others thought they might qualify.

As for the reviews...it is hard for me to describe the books. They have an unusual feel to them which worked for me and obviously doesn't work for everyone. Given that, I would recommend people try them in the library or at least get the Kindle sample before purchasing them.

I also enjoyed the Recluce series (the first was by far the best), but I classify those solidly in the Fantasy genre even though those do have some steam engines/similar tech in them. The Ghost books are a little less clear to me.

Last edited by Dazrin; 09-28-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I also enjoyed the Recluce series (the first was by far the best), but I classify those solidly in the Fantasy genre even though those do have some steam engines/similar tech in them. The Ghost books are a little less clear to me.
Looking at the Ghost series more closely, they seem to combine alternate history (Dutch conquered the United States) and steam punk. I'll take a look at the first in the series, at least.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #11
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
the Ulysses Quicksilver series by Jonathan Green are my favorite steampunk books.

"Action and adventure in a new Age of Steam! In two scant months the nation and all her colonies will celebrate 160 years of Queen Victoria's glorious reign. But all is not well at the heart of the empire. It begins with a break-in at the Natural History Museum. A night watchman is murdered. An eminent Professor of Evolutionary Biology goes missing. Then a catastrophic Overground rail-crash unleashes the dinosaurs of London Zoo. But how are all these events connected? Is it really the work of crazed revolutionaries? Or are there yet more sinister forces at work? Enter Ulysses Quicksilver - * dandy, rogue and agent of the throne. It is up to this dashing soldier of fortune to solve the mystery and uncover the truth before London degenerates into primitive madness and a villainous mastermind brings about the unthinkable - the downfall of the British empire! Pax Britannia is an exciting steampunk series, set on an alternate Earth where the British Empire still reigns and steam technology rules. This, the first Ulysses Quicksilver adventure, is a must-have for fans of steampunk and swashbuckling adventure alike!"

the series is filled with monsters, steam-powered robot nazis, air-ship battles, genetic engineering, underwater steam-powered ships, moon bases, human-insect hybrids, etc. its very pulpy but a ton of fun.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
ekster

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. This will keep me busy for at least a month.

I don't know why I haven't paid attention to this genre before, it definitely sounds a lot more interesting than I thought it would as I go through the book descriptions.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #13
straygator
Connoisseur
straygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle
A decent "steampunk primer" you might take a look at is Steampunk, an anthology of short fiction edited by Ann and Jeff VanerMeer (she also edits Weird Tales). The offerings are a bit uneven, but has several good essays on the history of the genre and a steampunk resource list in the back in addition to the dozen or so stories in all sorts of styles: an airship battle by Michael Moorcock, "Medieval steampunk" (for lack of a better term) by Ian McLeod, an odd take on Queen Victoria by Paul Di Filippo, and a beautifully-written, if somewhat truncated, alternate US history tale from Michael Chabon.
straygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #14
ekster

Thanks, that will be great to take a look at different types of steampunk genres.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Phoenix Rising - Tee Morris and Pipp Ballantyne
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote