Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #16
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
It looks like I'll be doing a 0.4.2 release in about a week to resolve this plus any other issues that come up between now and then. I want to make 0.4.x super stable because it might be a while before 0.5.0 is ready.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #17
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
Hm, Code View still seems a bit ambivalent about whether it wants to display emdashes with an mdash or with "—", which makes it a bit hard for me to use find/replace on them still. Troubling!
Just mdash? Are you seeing this intermediately or is it always happening in a particular test case? Any issues with ndash or shy?
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #18
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Just mdash? Are you seeing this intermediately or is it always happening in a particular test case? Any issues with ndash or shy?
I don't really use either of those, but I'll try to experiment and discover.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:16 AM   #19
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hm--the only one that seems to be still there--possibly the only one that was actually there at all--occurred where I had placed two emdashes simultaneously.

I also seem to have all my hellips displayed as themselves and not as HTML code; not sure if that's intentional or not.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:18 AM   #20
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Hm--the only one that seems to be still there--possibly the only one that was actually there at all--occurred where I had placed two emdashes simultaneously.

I also seem to have all my hellips displayed as themselves and not as HTML code; not sure if that's intentional or not.
Hmm, that's strange. There was a problem with a typo which caused en dashes not to be translated back into the entity, but em dashes seem fine, no matter how many there are.

I didn't translate horizontal ellipses because then it becomes a question of where do you stop. Em and en dashes look very similar in the font used for Code View, and soft hyphens (being soft) wouldn't display at all unless they came at a line-break, so those were good candidates for special handling. The … character in Consolas looks sufficiently different to three consecutive periods that it's easy to pick them out, and you can grab the character by copying it from the view.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #21
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
The line numbers in code view are now really hard to read (the contrast is poor). I thought it was just me but I pulled up v3.4 on the same screen to compare and it has changed.

Regard -John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #22
Kendal
Kendal began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Does anyone still have a copy of 3.4? I really dislike 4 -- everything I do creates an error that 3.4 never did. Unfortunately, I cleaned off my computer several weeks ago and I can't find my copy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #23
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendal View Post
Does anyone still have a copy of 3.4?
Go to the Google Code download page and change the filter to all downloads. Every version of Sigil is available but only the current version is displayed by default.

Quote:
I really dislike 4 -- everything I do creates an error that 3.4 never did.
The difference between 0.3 and 0.4 in this regard is 0.3 wouldn't inform you of the error and silently "fix" them for you. If you use "auto correct" when you get the malformed dialog you are getting the same behavior as 0.3. The issue with 0.3 was auto fixing can lead to data loss.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #24
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
The line numbers in code view are now really hard to read (the contrast is poor). I thought it was just me but I pulled up v3.4 on the same screen to compare and it has changed.
The contrast has changed. I changed it to be the same as QtCreator which I use to code Sigil with. It's intentionally supposed to be poor to make the line numbers subtle and not draw as much attention to them.

Now, there is a difference between poor and unreadable. I'm okay with poor (as I said that's intentional) but if people are having trouble distinguishing the numbers, that's a different story.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #25
user_none

Quote:
I don't really use either of those, but I'll try to experiment and discover.
I've figured out the issue. This will be fixed for 0.4.2. If the file itself has m/ndash or shy characters in the file itself (not translated) when you open the EPUB it isn't translating them upon loading.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #26
Kendal
Kendal began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thanks, user_none. I know 3.4 fixed it for me in the background, but I never had any data loss and it was much nicer not having to constantly say fix automatically, fix automatically, fix.... Maybe version 4 needs a setting so you can tell it to "always fix automatically"?

Anyway, thanks again.
Kendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #27
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
I really dislike 4 -- everything I do creates an error that 3.4 never did.
I don't know if this is the issue you're having, but I am experiencing something similar re: difference between 0.3.4 and 0.4.1.

First a bit of background. I've been using 0.3.4 as my "production" version, and my workflow involves a final edit of the content.opf file (outside of Sigil 0.3.4, of course) to add several pieces of metadata. It is easier to expand the epub, copy and paste the metadata from a textfile supplied by the editor, and re-zip the epub than to pick each metadata element from the list in Sigil and fill in the data.

With Sigil 0.4.0 and above, I can edit the content.opf file directly; and that's a big time-saver. But there's a difference between 0.3.4 and 0.4 in that 0.3.4 will add the xml namespace references for opf and dc to the <metadata> tag if they aren't already there. Thus,

Code:
<metadata>
becomes
Code:
<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
version 0.4.0+ does not do this.

That means that while editing in 0.4.1 when I paste a metadata element such as

Code:
<dc:contributor opf:role="art" opf:file-as="Scott, Ardy M.">Ardy M. Scott</dc:contributor>
(perfectly valid in an 0.3.4-created content.opf) into the .opf, as soon as focus switches away from the editor window, Sigil complains about an error because it doesn't recognize the opf elements.

If, instead of editing and pasting, you use Sigil's meta editor tool (F8) to add the same metadata, Sigil adds:

Code:
<dc:contributor xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" opf:file-as="Scott, Ardy M." opf:role="art">Ardy M. Scott</dc:contributor>
in other words, it adds the xml namespace reference to the dc metadata element itself.

My workaround is to just paste in the modified <metadata xmlns:dc="http: ... > tag at first, just like 0.3.4 would have done. Then, no more errors from pasting (otherwise well-formed) metadata elements into the content.opf.

BTW, I tried "automatic fix" once, and it completely re-wrote the opf file, with LOTS of data loss. Good thing I save frequently.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #28
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
With Sigil 0.4.0 and above, I can edit the content.opf file directly; and that's a big time-saver. But there's a difference between 0.3.4 and 0.4 in that 0.3.4 will add the xml namespace references for opf and dc to the <metadata> tag if they aren't already there.
I'm having trouble recreating this issue. Are you opening an EPUB that doesn't already have xmlnspf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" in the metadata element? Do you have an example file I can play with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
BTW, I tried "automatic fix" once, and it completely re-wrote the opf file, with LOTS of data loss. Good thing I save frequently.
This is why it now prompts and doesn't try to fix it automatically.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #29
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Quote:
I've figured out the issue. This will be fixed for 0.4.2. If the file itself has m/ndash or shy characters in the file itself (not translated) when you open the EPUB it isn't translating them upon loading.
That makes sense. I commend your diligence!
Old 08-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #30
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
I'm having trouble recreating this issue. Are you opening an EPUB that doesn't already have xmlnspf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" in the metadata element? Do you have an example file I can play with?
OK, here's a zip file that contains (1) valleytest.epub, with content.opf as written by InDesign 4.0 epub export; (2) content.opf.034, content.opf after opening and save-as in Sigil-0.3.4; and (3) content.opf.041 after opening, fixing date metadata, and save-as in Sigil-0.4.1

The epub from indesign contains one error per FlightCrew, namely a malformed date. This is a known bug in ID4. Sigil 034 fixes this in passing, silently. Sigil 041 does not. (Not that it should, necessarily.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip valleytest.zip (16.9 KB, 166 views)
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote