Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
savingtrees
savingtrees doesn't littersavingtrees doesn't litter

Device: 603
attention of early adopters: preview of new FW release

Forkosigan wrote in the German forum:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...12#post1516812

that there is a ALPHA version of the FW 2.1.0 available (it links to a CIS version so not quite sure what the implications of this are). But the list of inventions sounds excellent.

Handwritten notes in FBreader (adobe will follow)
improved bluetooth connectivity: support of bluetooth keyboard ...

Last edited by savingtrees; 04-29-2011 at 01:48 PM.
savingtrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by savingtrees View Post
... improved bluetooth connectivity: support of bluetooth keyboard ...
Hooray! This will be nice for us non-touchscreen owners.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by savingtrees View Post
Handwritten notes in FBreader (adobe will follow)
improved bluetooth connectivity: support of bluetooth keyboard ...
wow, if they work well, this is a major improvement!
(edit: of course, though, at least for most of the people with the large devices, pdf is key, really)

Last edited by paola; 04-29-2011 at 03:41 PM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Will this keyboard support actually make it to 302 now?
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
Well sound nice, but what about the bugs regarding the pdfviewer that do not scroll on landscape mode?

the note taking that sometimes the firts sentence of the note dissapear?

What about the pocketnews that is real buggy?

Anybody try already this image?

thanks!!

Last edited by skydive; 04-30-2011 at 05:54 PM.
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive View Post
Well sound nice, but what about the bugs regarding the pdfviewer that do not scroll on landscape mode?

the note taking that sometimes the firts sentence of the note dissapear?

What about the pocketnews that is real buggy?

Anybody try already this image?

thanks!!
Yes, we know.
We are working on these issues, but the annotation and bluetooth were primordial for us here. The other bugs will be addressed later in this version or in later versions.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Annotation
Bluetooth keyboard

As for the rest, I'm sure that this will not be the last firmware, and I can wait.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
OphReader
Connoisseur
OphReader began at the beginning.

Device: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Yes, we know.
We are working on these issues, but the annotation and bluetooth were primordial for us here. The other bugs will be addressed later in this version or in later versions.
I just cannot believe that it is hard AT ALL to implement scrolling in pdfreader AGAIN, since IT WAS ALREADY IMPLEMENTED BEFORE!!

So WTF is wrong with you guys?
OphReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OphReader View Post
I just cannot believe that it is hard AT ALL to implement scrolling in pdfreader AGAIN, since IT WAS ALREADY IMPLEMENTED BEFORE!!

So WTF is wrong with you guys?
Yeah, that's right. Grab the pitchforks and torches and chase him out again. Who cares if we don't get any information anymore.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Yes, we know.
I flashed the 2.1.0. alpha last night, and did not have much time to play around with it, but the annotation with the FBreader are just great: fast, and you can either highlight or annotate free hand wherever you want. And if you want to remove the annotation, you can do so without eliminating the text (which is the case with the "notes" function in the earlier FW versions). I seem to recall that the notes then appear in the contents of the document, though I am not too sure I remember correctly (but you get a preview of the page you annootated). For my needs, if the same annotation features were implemented for PDF files, the device would be near perfect. Freehand pdf annotations is what I got this device for, and I suspect I am not alone.

Ah, I also noted that the web browser is still Midori, but if you use "pocketnews" the display actually turns in landscape (and though more basic than midori, I find it much more readable) - it still has the problem, though, that you must read while connected. It would be nice if this were a prelude to a more functional browser to substitute Midori, though (at least in appearance) it seems to me there is still some way to go.

I have no bluetooth keyboard nor speakers, so I could not check that. As soon as I have time, I'd want to check wether the notest in the pdf/adobe viewers are any faster than with 2.0.6. For the little I have used it, it seems stable, but as I said I haven't used it much.

Adobeviewer: the image editing is much quicker than before (basically, it is useful working speed), but there is one bug: when opeing an image note for editing, it opens upside down (only if created in landscape mode)! Same inin Pdfviewer, and I wonder whetehr it depends on teh fact that once looking at pdf files in landscape, the settings appear to fix orientation in landscape (this, though, is only in pdfviewer, not in adobeviewer. And pdf files do scroll in adobeviewer, which however I think is as in FW 2.0.6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Yeah, that's right. Grab the pitchforks and torches and chase him out again. Who cares if we don't get any information anymore.
If somebody else were willing to have a go, we may have more constructive criticism for the guys in Kiev

Last edited by paola; 05-03-2011 at 05:03 PM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
If somebody else were willing to have a go, we may have more constructive criticism for the guys in Kiev
I was just going out to buy myself a bluetooth keyboard now that it looks like it will be supported. I can't test freehand annotations on my 902.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
i would like that this future improved "annotation function" works not only for pdf but for djvu files too, (since i used a lot of them). Besides i would like that it doesn't deform the notes if one applies a zoom.

However I hope that, together with this new properties, the future annotation function still keeps the actual characteristic, that is to create and modifying images of part of the text. The point is that when I annotate, I often underline, often I make few notes on the border, but very often I make long notes that I can't write on the borders. On traditional books for this kind of notes i use Post It... on an e-reader the present version of Annotation function of pocketbook fit very well this request. But it would be better if on the text there were a little sign, in order to remember that at that point there is a note.

Last edited by Shinra tensei; 05-03-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #13
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
Some nice developments. Not only is there a respectable note taking function (fast and with highlighting) in fbreader for that prerelease, the digitizer seems more responsive overall. I am however baffled by the complete loss of volume control for text to speech. Wasn't it just recently button control for that was added? Now it's stuck at maximum and not even the popup menu can change it...
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #14
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Always expect the unexpected, like loosing panning in pdfviewer, also don't expect it to be fixed in the next update.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:28 AM   #15
OphReader
Connoisseur
OphReader began at the beginning.

Device: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Yeah you're right of course, I forgot to kiss Mr. Sensible's butt for doing the job he gets paid for What a pity.

Whatever...
OphReader is offline   Reply With Quote