Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
JEMelby
Save the Stone Tablet
JEMelby began at the beginning.

Device: Coleco ADAM (With high-speed digital tape drive!)
The Dreaded "Failed to Make Sony Reader File" Error

I know that JSWolf and HarryT are getting really sick of these "BD don't work" threads. From the patients they have, you'de think the program was their love-child

Anyway, I've done all I can, and no joy (or love) from BD. I have Vista, and I have:
  • Done a complete Uninstall
  • Installed to the root directory (C:\Book Designer...) using BD 4.0
  • Copied the files from the 7/30/07 update over the top of the 4.0 install
  • Copied the updated cleaner files
  • Ensured that the output path exists (even tried the root)
  • Disabled all my anti-everything programs

I get the ever present "Failed to make sony reader file" message for both the test and the make options.

Care to suggest what I might have missed?
JEMelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Have you tried the 5/30/07 update. I had the same problem with the 7/30/07 update but with the 5/30/07 update it works for me.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2007, 11:11 PM   #3
JEMelby
Save the Stone Tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Have you tried the 5/30/07 update. I had the same problem with the 7/30/07 update but with the 5/30/07 update it works for me.
Yes. Forgot to include that bullet. I tried that about a month ago. with even more dire failures... hang ups... locks, etc... I really don't think that version was VISTA compatible. 7-30 gave me new hope when I checked back here.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:18 PM   #4
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Sorry that did not work. I use Vista and it worked for me.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:23 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You missed one thing that I can think of at the moment. You also need to install the dynamic HTML stuff from Microsoft. It comes as part of XP so XP users don't need to install it. Just Vista users. See the BD thread for the link to the dynamic HTML for Vista. It's on page 2 someplace. The description reads...

Quote:
DHTML Editing Control for Applications Redistributable Package (x86)

Brief Description
DHTML Editing Control for Applications is a redistributable component that is available for Windows Vista to enable compatibility for MS Access 2003, and other applications which previously relied on this control in Windows XP and Windows 2003.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11786
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2007, 03:15 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Other than Jon's suggestion, I'm afraid that I have no bright ideas. It was specifically because I know that there are application compatibility issues with Vista, however, that when I bought a new Dell computer last month, I bought it with XP, not Vista. I think it's going to be a while yet before all software developers modify their software to run correctly on Vista. As I said recently in another thread, software written according to the "rules" works fine on Vista; the problem is that earlier versions of Windows allowed you to break many of those rules with impunity. Vista is much more "secure" and apps that try to do naughty things (like BD does) have problems.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
JEMelby
Save the Stone Tablet

Ya know... I DID get the DHTML thing for the 5-30 version... I was promted right away that I needed it. What would happen then is that I would open then, as an example, is that I would open an explosed LIT file and BD would open an new edit window and hang. I suspected that that was related to the protected nature of the Program Files directory....

I fell in love with BD a couple months ago when I was still running XP. My computer had a crash (not related to BD), and it came to pass that I need to go buy an OS. I decided to get the latest (Vista) and now I'm regretting it for more reasons than what are BD related. The trouble is that XP and Vista are about the same price. I guess if XP were cheaper, MS would not sell any Vista.

I sure hope I get BD back working eventually.. I am tiring of non-graphic RTF files on my reader.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:03 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMelby View Post
Ya know... I DID get the DHTML thing for the 5-30 version... I was promted right away that I needed it. What would happen then is that I would open then, as an example, is that I would open an explosed LIT file and BD would open an new edit window and hang. I suspected that that was related to the protected nature of the Program Files directory....

I fell in love with BD a couple months ago when I was still running XP. My computer had a crash (not related to BD), and it came to pass that I need to go buy an OS. I decided to get the latest (Vista) and now I'm regretting it for more reasons than what are BD related. The trouble is that XP and Vista are about the same price. I guess if XP were cheaper, MS would not sell any Vista.

I sure hope I get BD back working eventually.. I am tiring of non-graphic RTF files on my reader.
The 5/30 version has the odd occasion to hand when loading/converting. It's happened to me. But now the July 2007 version does not hand on loading at all. Have you tried running it as XP and seeing what happens?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote