Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
acolsandra
Enthusiast
acolsandra began at the beginning.

Device: bebook1, pocketbook 302
I don't like the way calibre sticks with upper-case/capital

I don't remember this in older versions, but in some version it slipped in.

Example: some books are imported with author A.E. Vogt. When new books are added, and I start typing the author a.e. vogt, calibre doesn't recognize it (him/her). Same with series, when a serie is called Earthchildren, calibre doesn't recognize it when I start with eart.
I don't see the difference in an author named A.E. Vogt and a.e. vogt. When I press the button for the choices alphabetically in the box for author, the authors are shown first starting with capitals (A.E. Vogt till Z. Lepinsky and then it start with a.e. Vogt till the end).

When an author is imported with the {author} A.E Vogt and the {author sort} a.e. Vogt and I press the button [automatically create author sort entry .....], it doesn't change the capitals. I have to delete the text already in {author sort} and then press the button again.

Maybe there's a good reason for this but I would prefer it to be my own choice, I don't like it when I always have to start with a capital.

greetings Sandra

Last edited by acolsandra; 11-11-2010 at 06:07 PM.
acolsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:55 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by acolsandra View Post
I don't remember this in older versions, but in some version it slipped in.

Example: some books are imported with author A.E. Vogt. When new books are added, and I start typing the author a.e. vogt, calibre doesn't recognize it (him/her). Same with series, when a serie is called Earthchildren, calibre doesn't recognize it when I start with eart.
To start I am running calibre 0.7.27 (QT mod), Windows XP

I take it you are referring to the edit metadata window entries. I too see this behavior in the edit metadata window, but I don't see this behavior in the search bar.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 04:16 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I seem to remember it being stated that the behavior of ignoring case in the Edit Metadata dialogs for Author was because when case was ignored it became very difficult to correct any entries if you ever got the author entered wrong earlier as it would auto-change any new entries to the previous (incorrect) values.

Having said that I would be more than happy for author case to be ignored in the Edit Metadata dialogs as long as it was not ignored in the Manage Authors feature (as I could correct earlier mistakes there). I use the Edit Metadata dialogs far more frequently and the gains in efficiency there would more than offset the need to switch to a different dialog to correct errors in the case of the Author.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The problem is most people aren't aware of the manage authors feature, so being unable to correct cases in the edit metadata dialog is not acceptable (as it generates ticket noise that I have to deal with).
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
it generates ticket noise that I have to deal with).
I can't recall all the places that link to the ticket/bug reporter and send people there, but have you considered emphasizing this forum or specifically requesting (requiring?) that people start here before reporting bugs or requesting enhancements? At least half the tickets are either not appropriate or have a workaround.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Well for actual bug reports I actually prefer that people use the tickets, if they use the forum then I have to typically make an extra post telling them to open tickets, as otherwise I lose track of the reports.

Of course that does help with the the problems that are not tickets, so it is a trade off of sorts.

With regard to the case (in)sensitivity of matching, it isn't just the ticket noise, for every person that opens a ticket, 10 people will just be annoyed by the issue but not bother finding a workaround/looking for a solution.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Well for actual bug reports I actually prefer that people use the tickets
Understood. For real bugs and enhancement requests the ticket system is unbeatable. A mild filtering would be nice, however, to ease your load and improve ticket quality.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote