Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #15301
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next is one from Baen's February Bundle (no longer available as a bundle). I'm going to read through my purchases being going on to backlog. So: Necessity's Child by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller
Aughhh. I missed buying the previous one in the series. And that one's now $9.99. Bother, bother, bother, bother!

Well, I'll move on to How Dark the World Becomes by Frank Chadwick. This is a new author to me. One I wouldn't have bought except for it being in the February Bundle.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #15302
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
God, rather you than me . It's all in rhyming couplets. There's only so much of that that I can stand. Honestly, if you want to read the Iliad, there really are MUCH better translations available.
Yes, it is rhyming couplets. That's how these epic poems were memorized. Back then these were all recitations handed down from master to apprentice, not written, so they needed to use some form to insure accuracy. Think how many times 'Rosy fingers of Dawn' shows up in the "Odyssey." Mnemonics. If I just wanted 'story,' I'd watch the Brad Pitt movie. LOL!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #15303
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
Winter's Bone was heartbreaking and beautiful. I loved it.
<snip>
I saw the film and the book has been in my TBR pile since then. I grew up in a rural area so similar to the film that I was a little uncomfortable even watching it. But I have heard excellent things about the book.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #15304
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I saw the film and the book has been in my TBR pile since then. I grew up in a rural area so similar to the film that I was a little uncomfortable even watching it. But I have heard excellent things about the book.
Wow, interesting. I completely missed this movie (but hey, I'm not a movie person) but it stars Jennifer Lawrence....

The book and movie are now on my list.

and HA! The movie is free on Amazon Prime! Woo-Hoo!

Last edited by kennyc; 01-17-2013 at 08:36 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #15305
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I am currently reading Into Thin Air.
Extremely interesting! I loved it. If you like it and it makes you interested, I warmly recommend
Annapurna: The First Conquest of an 8,000-Meter Peak by Maurice Herzog and
No Shortcuts to the Top: Climbing the World's 14 Highest Peaks by Ed Viesturs
*Ed Viestrus is also mentioned in Krakauer's book...
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #15306
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Try something like Joyce's "Ulysses", or Virginia Woolf's "To the Lighthouse". But I warn you - they're hard going. They weren't written to be light reading. They were written for you to appreciate the "cleverness" of the author.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I like the idea of Nyssa trying to read Finnegan's Wake. Maybe the most unreadable book of all time.

Why do I have the feeling that you've basically just said you'd like to see me tortured?? Mind you I know nothing about the book.....
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #15307
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Yes, it is rhyming couplets. That's how these epic poems were memorized.
No. Absolutely not. The Greek original assuredly doesn't rhyme - in fact the very concept of rhyming didn't exist in Greek poetry, because it's almost impossible to do in a highly inflected language such as Greek. You're right in saying that there were standard techniques for memorisation, but it didn't involve rhyming.

But we're straying off topic here. I hope you enjoy your Pope, but, as a classicist myself, I just felt obliged to point out that you can do an awful lot better if you want to know what the Iliad actually says, rather than Pope's extremely "free" translation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #15308
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Why do I have the feeling that you've basically just said you'd like to see me tortured?? Mind you I know know nothing about the book.....
I wouldn't dream of recommending "Finnegan's Wake" to anyone. It's completely unreadable. That's why I recommended "Ulysses", which is a lot more accessible.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #15309
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
No. Absolutely not. The Greek original assuredly doesn't rhyme - in fact the very concept of rhyming didn't exist in Greek poetry, because it's almost impossible to do in a highly inflected language such as Greek. You're right in saying that there were standard techniques for memorisation, but it didn't involve rhyming.
Quite so... but the 'feeling' is the same. And the reason works such as 'The Song of Hiawatha' are so soothing to read. There is a fluidity to them that is enjoyable. Well, enjoyable to me, anyway.

Quote:
But we're straying off topic here. I hope you enjoy your Pope,
Thanks, it's a re-read for me, but not since my school days. Same translation, but this time on my e-reader, and I have the advantage of NOT being a classicist... It gives me more options.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #15310
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Quite so... but the 'feeling' is the same. And the reason works such as 'The Song of Hiawatha' are so soothing to read. There is a fluidity to them that is enjoyable. Well, enjoyable to me, anyway.
That's actually the specific reason that I recommended the Richard Lattimore translation to you. I've read numerous different translations, and the Lattimore one is by far the best in giving you the "feel" of the Greek verse. For people who can't read the Greek original, Lattimore is as close as you can get to the "experience" of doing so.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #15311
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Minus 148 Degrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Extremely interesting! I loved it. If you like it and it makes you interested, I warmly recommend
Annapurna: The First Conquest of an 8,000-Meter Peak by Maurice Herzog and
No Shortcuts to the Top: Climbing the World's 14 Highest Peaks by Ed Viesturs
*Ed Viestrus is also mentioned in Krakauer's book...
Also there's my favorite, Minus 148 Degrees (The first Winter ascent of Mount McKinley) by Art Davidson.

Quote:
Minus 148 is one of the few true classics in the literature of mountaineering. It is no simple tale of heroism and valour, like Annapurna, but rather a vexed, uneven story of doubt, failure, whim, courage, tragedy. The expedition was unbalanced, with the strong members far superior to the others. Perhaps the strongest of all was killed in an absurd accident within the first hours. The leader himself seemed to lose heart in mid-stream. Yet everything was redeemed by the magnificent accomplishment of the summit in early March, and then by the even more magnificent survival of Art, Dave Johnston, and Ray Genet.

Last edited by alansplace; 01-17-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: typo
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #15312
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
This will be my first Jane Austen novel. Not exactly sure what to expect. I'm guessing its a good thing that I prefer the (British) English dictionary over the American one. I imagine it will come in handy.

Quote:
If you're not familiar with early 19th century British society, you may find it easier to get a version with footnotes, such as the "Penguin Classics" editions, or else you may struggle slightly. One very useful thing to know, for example, is that when someone is called "Miss X", where "X" is the surname, this always refers to the eldest daughter of the family. Younger daughters will always be referred to by their Christian names. If you don't know this, you may get confused about who's being referred to.

Well I started reading Persuasion about four days ago, but have not had the opportunity to pick it back up in the last three days due to RL obligations. I've discovered:

1. It is actually much easier to read/understand than I was expecting.

2. I was right about the value of having an actual English dictionary (as opposed to American). I've already come across two or three "obsolete" words/phrases.

3. As easy as it may be to read, I, personally, need to read as much of it in one sitting, or in as many consecutive days as possible. I've completely lost part of the thread and rhythm of the story. Thankfully I'm only on chapter four, so I should be able to reboot and get back into it quickly enough.

4. Sir Walter Elliot is an annoying idiot!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #15313
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Also there's my favorite, Minus 148 Degrees (The first Winter ascent of Mount McKinley) by Art Davidson.
Thanks, I'll check it out for sure
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #15314
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Marion Z. Bradley's The House Between the Worlds. I'm about 30% in and enjoying it so far.

Before that, I read Odd and the Frost Giants. I can't believe I hadn't read it before.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #15315
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Just finished Charon's Claw (Neverwinter book 3), time for A Memory of Light!
That was satisfying. Most of the major plot threads were closed, I am not a WoT scholar, so I am probably overlooking dozens of the small ones, but I don't miss them. A fitting conclusion to the story and worth the read if you have read the others in the series.

3 books and almost 1,400 pages so far this year. I know I won't keep up this pace (1000 pages in 7 days of reading), but it does give me a bit of boost on my goal for the year.

Next is 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Lots of you have said this is worth reading, so I am going to try it. It has been 20 years since I last read anything by SK.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote