Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
SnakeMM
SnakeMM began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Magic
pdf to epub using mobicreator

Hi

I have made a lot of conversions from pdf to epub but results were poor. Characters were scattered I do not know if I used proper word for such behavior as below)

calibre: "t w ar z r a z po r a z" should be "twarz raz po raz"

So I tried mobicreator to get prc file from pdf and I got: "twarz raz po raz", then in calibre I converted prc to epub and got proper epub.

So my question is why calibre cannot use mechanism from mobicreator to make better conversion from pdf? Mobi has got in its catalog pdf2htm.exe file which is probably responsible for conversion.

With one book this way is ok but when I convert more it is getting a bit frustrating.

Can calibre use in future better method to convert from pdf?
SnakeMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
mobi creators pdf conversion suffers from various limitations that calibre's doesn't. They're disjoint sets.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
SnakeMM

Ok if you say so, but results are better for me from mobicreator then from calibre so I cannot agree with you that calibre has better mechanism. If you take a look at my first post you see results from both.
Maybe there is a catch to get good results from calibre I do not know. If so can you give me a clue.

And I don't get what disjoint set means? It is related to what? way of conversion or...
Old 03-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It means that some things work better when converting using Mobipocket creator and other things work better when converting using calibre.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
SnakeMM

Thanks

So I still have to check results from both and choose better one
Old 03-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yes, which one will be better will depend very much on the file in question. Also a new improved PDF engine is under development for calibre.