Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
charlied2255
charlied2255 began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Help with PDFs

Santa brought me a 505 and a disc containing 32 clive cussler novels in pdf format,but no matter what i do with calibre or library the books dont appear as they should on my 505 ,sentences split halfway across a line,this is so irritating please help,but not too technical , make it easy on this poor befuddled brain.
charlied2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Charlie....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlied2255 View Post
Santa brought me a 505 and a disc containing 32 clive cussler novels in pdf format,but no matter what i do with calibre or library the books dont appear as they should on my 505 ,sentences split halfway across a line,this is so irritating please help,but not too technical , make it easy on this poor befuddled brain.
One possible reason the sentences are splitting halfway across the screen is that the ebooks were formatted with a line break or a hard return at the end of each line. If that is the case, the sentences will split at the line break/hard return regardless of how long the line is.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:30 AM   #4
billkelly
billkelly began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
I had this problem as well. I had just installed the latest calibre and did the usual conversion to epub (usually works well). When I looked at the output it was as you describe - unreadable. At first I thought it was an error in calibre, but not the case. I used solidpdf to export / convert to rtf then imported the rtf into calibre (then to epub).

This looks good.

During getting to the process I did find that other pdf tools did show that there were extra characters in the line, forming the breaks, which supports the posting above.
billkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by billkelly View Post
I had this problem as well. I had just installed the latest calibre and did the usual conversion to epub (usually works well). When I looked at the output it was as you describe - unreadable. At first I thought it was an error in calibre, but not the case. I used solidpdf to export / convert to rtf then imported the rtf into calibre (then to epub).

This looks good.

During getting to the process I did find that other pdf tools did show that there were extra characters in the line, forming the breaks, which supports the posting above.
Due to my experience with ebook formatting when I used RTF (mainly a problem with font controlling my ebook's font) led me to use PDF as my ebook format. As long as I set the page size to the same size as my screen, they render perfectly on my reader and I can see what they will like on my computer before I make the PDF for my ereader.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert