Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
Coupon fatigue?

Does anyone think there might be such a thing as coupon fatigue? That the attractiveness of a free book coupon deal suffers from over-extended exposure?

I'm letting my coupon expire this Wednesday, and plan to let the book go a un-couponed a month or so just to see what kind of effect that has, more out of curiosity around marketing psychology than any intent to make dollars.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Some people definitely view freebies with suspicion as if there may be something wrong with the item.

I am personally grateful for coupons

Guess your answer is to try it and see what the difference is.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I'm not sure about coupon fatigue. I find that the coupon entices me to take a look at the book being offered (assuming the coupon is for a pretty hefty discount) but that I often do not make use of the coupon, even if the book is free. I don't download books that I do not expect to read, even if the book is free. I suspect others also do the same, which may be why, once you get past the initial rush of those who will download any book offered for free, a decline in downloads by coupon users occurs.

I should also add that sometimes the coupon and the book are both well-received but the formats offered for the download are not usable or wanted. For example, it doesn't matter how many coupons are offered for books in Kindle format; I don't download those books because I have a Sony.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Right now I'm experiencing a ratio of two to one sample downloads to full coupon or other purchases. I suspect that ratio will change.

The freebie suspicion thing has got to change. I'm finding lots of quality stuff out there for free these days.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
ASparrow
Addict

I wonder if a book with a heftier price tag would stir a larger reaction (more credibility, greater value) when a coupon is offered?
Old 11-14-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Hi ASparrow,

As you know, I have been offering Boomerang with a free coupon these past few weeks and the response has been very gratifying, but it has dropped off lately. I think that the biggest factor there is it is difficult to find new venues with new potential readers and those who are interested have for the most part already taken advantage in the early stages.

But I am convinced that the advantages of getting ones work in front of as many people as possible is a good thing. Of course it is rather painful to offer up for free something that as involved so much labor, so much time, and to be honest, so much sacrifice to produce. On the other hand, I know I probably wouldn't invest hard earned funds in too many authors I had never heard of, but if the blurb sounds interesting and the investment is nil, you bet I'll have a look. And if I like what I read, I'll be one of the voices spreading the word.

I hope Xenolith is getting the readership it deserves and that your writing is progressing apace!
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
ASparrow
Addict

Thanks Alan. Writing novels is certainly the hardest work I've ever done in terms of intensity of thought and intellectual effort, but I would do it even if there was never even a possibility of remuneration. I suspect I'm not alone in feeling that way.

It's gratifying to know that people are reading one's work and some are actually enjoying it. It sure beats stashing a manuscript away in a box somewhere.

Along those lines, another variable I'm experimenting with is how much of a free sample to offer to get someone hooked on a story. Right now I'm offering 75%, thinking that might entice some people to download who otherwise wouldn't want to go through the trouble of registering. Is that ludicrous or not?