Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 06-14-2009, 03:21 AM   #1
lmorgh
lmorgh began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Mobipocket Creator

Hi!

I have some problems with "eastern europe" characters displayed in mobi format.

I have a PDF with "eastern europe" letters (ČŽŠ). if i open pdf on my cybook there is no problem with this letters. If i convert pdf to mobi all those letters are replaced with some strange symbols (both on PC and on cybook). I am using Mobipocket Creator publisher edition v4.2 build41.

tnx for any help!
lmorgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:16 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmorgh View Post
Hi!

I have some problems with "eastern europe" characters displayed in mobi format.

I have a PDF with "eastern europe" letters (ČŽŠ). if i open pdf on my cybook there is no problem with this letters. If i convert pdf to mobi all those letters are replaced with some strange symbols (both on PC and on cybook). I am using Mobipocket Creator publisher edition v4.2 build41.

tnx for any help!
I'm not sure how the Creator works in transforming the PDF, but I assume it converts it into a HTML format. And special characters (those include those letters you mention) aren't part of the standard doctype. Those must be written down differently (using the HTML code).

I know the reason why it shows those different characters, but can't put it into words ... (it has to do with unicode, multiple bytes per character, etc)

You could use calibre to create HTML files from your PRC files and fix those letters yourself ad make a new mobi file.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It sounds like a character encoding issue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
When using MPC build 41, the html should have the UTF-8 encoding explicitly specified as shown in this post, i.e.
Code:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
Perhaps this will help, but if not, do you have access to MPC build 40?
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Failing all of the above I have also converted the HTML to text and then in word search and replaced all the funny characters. Would be your LAST resort though as you loose a lot of formatting if your HTML>TEXT converter isn't great like Detagger. <G>
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
Failing all of the above I have also converted the HTML to text and then in word search and replaced all the funny characters. Would be your LAST resort though as you loose a lot of formatting if your HTML>TEXT converter isn't great like Detagger. <G>
You don't have to convert to text... You can always edit the HTML. For instance: replace the Ž with &# 142; (without the space, but if I remove the space I'll get the Z with that funny thing again ) That should work.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If your original text is encoded differently than the default encoding specified in Mobipocket Creator, that could explain it. Can you determine the original encoding? There are 2 encodings supported in MC, UTF-8, and Windows-1252. If the original text is not one of those, you will probably need to recreate the document with a different encoding. I doubt that encoding tools (that change from one encoding to another) will work on a file like a PDF - too much embedded other stuff, instead of straight text.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote